Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, watching Neil Young sitting on that hill overlooking the barn and "Words" echoing through the hills! Like being there. I can even taste that crappy American beer he is drinking!:rollin:

You are forgetting that the video was filmed in 1971-1972.

Back then, Coors was a relatively small brewery that used all natural ingredients. People used to truck it from states that sold it to other states that did not have it, and then sell it for a substantial markup.

It still wasn't Pilsner Urquell, but it was substantially better than any current major US brewery...

rusinurbe said:
I am afraid I bought BSS because of the reviews from many people, and all i have done is play it once and file under pompus load of Tosh. The mix maybe good but the music is exactly what punk was created for.:evil:

Punk was a reaction to 25 years of rock where people knew how to play. Now that we've had 25 years of rock where people don't know how to play, how should we respond to that? :D

Punk has nothing to do with evil or battling it; it has everything to to with the do it yourself ethic. Like most commercial music, punk is pretty corporate these days. Yes it is, no matter what you choose to believe about it.

Seriously, if you're of the punk ethic, you'd know full well that ELP would not be your cup of tea. Why on Earth would you buy it?

Having said that, Brain Salad Surgery was made for DVD-A and makes a convincing demonstration. It's one of my all-time favs and I got to see them perform this live. This kind of music is way over the top, that was the whole idea. It's not a Nick Drake album.

Not too bad for a guy who also appreciates Sparks, They Might Be Giants, Bad Religion, Art Tatum, King's X, Porcupine Tree and a whole range of music by people who both can or cannot play.

Enjoy the music

Guy Robinson said:
I would like to include Heavy Rock/Metal along with Punk in the category of, "Waste of Hi-Rez". Just listen to the Metallica disc and compare it to the mix and sonics of BSS and you will see what I mean.

Some of the Metallica disc works very well and the rest is okay. It is not the genre of music but what the mix engineer and project heads decide to do with it.

I find this similar to saying "why bother with Chicago on DVD-A? Everybody knows jazz rock on DVD-A is not going to work." So then you have Mr. Kellogg doing the Chicago release so well that it seems perfect for DVD-A.

Gee, he did Brain Salad Surgery as well. If this keeps up he should get an MVP (mixing very particular) award...

timbre4 said:
Punk was a reaction to 25 years of rock where people knew how to play. Now that we've had 25 years of rock where people don't know how to play, how should we respond to that? :D

Having said that, Brain Salad Surgery was made for DVD-A and makes a convincing demonstration. It's one of my all-time favs and I got to see them perform this live. This kind of music is way over the top, that was the whole idea. It's not a Nick Drake album.

Enjoy the music

Punk was a much needed reaction to the over the top look I can play my instruments very well 'Progressive rock' of the time, and quite a few 'punk' records would sound very good in a Hi rez format if the record label was to go back and sorce the original tapes (silverline).

Now Nick Drake I would love to hear in a Hi rez format, and I would love to hear The Damneds Phantasmagoria album, because the music is good and not nessasarily the production and playing, although in Nick Drakes case both are exempliary.

I suppose I was originally saying I dont like Brain Salad Surgery.

A lot of GREAT music came out of the Punk movement! It was a much needed slap-in-the-face for rock music, and really helped revitalize it. But like all new trends, it became absorbed by the corporate machine and spit back out in some bastardized form. This has happened over and over again.

Be that as it may, all trends become absorbed by the "musical consciousness" of the world; extending the palette and leading artists down (potentially) new and exciting avenues. Sometimes I will think rock music is stagnating and then something will come along that makes it exciting again. I live for these moments!

The techno/electronica movement is the most recent thing to get me excited. Of course, at this point it has already run its course and been consumed by the mass market. There isn't anything really exciting happening at the moment. In fact, it is widely accepted that the music industry is in a major slump, on a majority of fronts! At least new hi-rez surround releases are coming out, even if at a trickle.

My only rule with music is that it either hits me over the head or it doesn't. Genre doesn't matter. It does seem like there is a lot more expendable 'product' than music these days. Labels don't build careers much anymore, better have the hits right away...

It's true that new music presents itself in a new form every few years. Just when you think it's all on the table, something new takes off. Failing that, someone comes along with traditional instrumentation and conventional writing style that produce songs too good to ignore.

My dabblings in SF Vegas and especially ACID 4.0 lead me to believe that even more daring combinations of live and sampled instruments will yield interesting results hitherto unknown. That's my plan at least, marrying jams to loops and vice versa.

There is also room for reinventing some existing music in a fresh new way. The recent Chicago DVD-A was quite a nice surprise, because it was mixed to seem more modern without sacrificing what made it good in the first place. A number of my DVD-A & SACD titles are ones I didn't own in mere stereo back in the day. That'll probably continue.

Don't hold your breath waiting on anything visibly innovative out of the major labels, not until the business case is proven. On the other hand major talent can always be found on the indy labels, internet and word of mouth. Seek it out!

Guy Robinson said:
I would clasify BSS as Art Rock. LOUD Art Rock, but Art Rock nonetheless. Okay, I am going to go home one more time and try the Metallica disc. If it sounds bad once again I will try to pinpoint exactly what is putting me off it. By the way, I know that this is the wrong thread for it but how about those other PG discs? I bought #3 and Security (#4). Are any of the others up to the sonics of those 2?
I have all of the PG SACD's and as one would suspect they are all tremendous! I was a bit disappointed that more were not in M/C but understand the time and cost is a factor.
Biggest disappointment is that they are not Hybrid like in Europe.
The Passion album is a stunner anyway but the SACD just brings out the sonics even more.

I would recommend that anyone who feels that rock is in a slump these days go out and catch Nektar live in concert. They are in Germany right now, so it is a bit of a trip for those in the U.S., but they will be back later this fall, if not sooner. I realise that they are a band from the 70's, but the whole original lineup is back together, and they are playing live at the top of their game. I saw them in June at the Adirondack festival in NY, and the Stone Pony in NJ, and I will say that I've never seen a better rock performance by any band, they are really gettin' it done. Their music defies categorization other than that it kicks, and if you missed Jimi Hendrix when he was playing live, you owe it to yourself to catch Roye Albrighton, the lead guitarist of Nektar, because he's probably the greatest rock guitarist alive today.

Sandy, Thx for the info on Nektar. I was wondering how these guys were sounding after getting back together. I recently picked up the 'approved' remastered CD of "Remember the Future"...One of my all-time fav's! It sounds real good but i actually think my vinyl album still sounds better! This one would be nice to hear in 5.1 surround!
I know they came out with a DVD of a recent "Prog Fest" performance but it is in 2.0 and hard to find...
My 2 cents on the music industry slump is...I am just thankful great bands I grew up with like Nektar, Yes, Zeppelin (to name a few) are still going. I don't think I'm alone thinking this way either. You should have seen the lines of people at the record stores the day Zeppelin released their recent live DVD/CD sets! Let's see if Limp Biscuit, Coldplay, Brittany Spears or Justin Timberlake are still around 20 years from now??? I wouldn't bet on it... (And I don't mean any dissrespect to any fans of these artists out there---it's just my opinion)
Tim

Good news about Nektar!

I saw em live in Toronto on their "Remember the Future Tour" in 70 something..

They would sound amazing in hires MC..

Sure hope they come here in the Fall..

DrMabuse2001 said:
I have all of the PG SACD's and as one would suspect they are all tremendous! I was a bit disappointed that more were not in M/C but understand the time and cost is a factor.
Biggest disappointment is that they are not Hybrid like in Europe.
The Passion album is a stunner anyway but the SACD just brings out the sonics even more.

Surely Time and cost should not be a factor but artistic integrity, if the artist wants to spend the time mixing in M/C then he should be allowed to do that. I would be dissappointed if they were later released with a M/C mix as that would smack of quick buck marketing. Do the job properly first time.

Just a note on the Progfest DVD. It is in fact recorded in Dolby Digital 4.0. It is listed as 5.1, but in fact is a digital quad mix. I put a post under DVD reviews with a link to Roye Albrighton confirming that it is a 4 channel mix.

Hey Sandy, what is going on with the remastered 'A Tab in the Ocean' CD with both the German stereo and American SQ quadraphonic mixes? I haven't seen anything about that in a LONG time. It was supposed to be February 2003 as I recall. Mike.:confused:

Based on what has been posted on the Unofficial Nektar website, the management at Bellaphon Records has had a change of personnel, so the remastering has been put on hold. Since Bellaphon owns these titles, Nektar need to work with them to get the project done, otherwise they would do it on their own dime. They also want to record a new album with all the original members, of all new material. Classic Rock Productions, who had promoted last year's Nearfest and Classic Rock Fest, and put out the DVD, withdrew their support, so this year Nektar handled all their own bookings. Supposedly the second DVD of Remember the Future live (from the Nearfest show which was 3 hrs plus) will still be released soon, either through Classic Rock or by Nektar themselves.

While I agree that certain bands from the 60's and 70's have amazing staying power, are still current, and basically have the kind of serious guitar plying that I prefer, don't rule out some of the newer bands. Linkin Park, Evanescence, Queens of the Stone Age, Stabbing Westward, Monster Magnet, Corrosion of Conformity and Down, to name just a few, are all bands that are keeping the independent, defiant, briliant spirit of music alive, in spite of the corporate music machine that attempts to mold, package, and sell whatever seems to be the whim of the moment. And ultimately have these artists be totally disposable, so they can make way for the trend of the week, all in the name of more profits. You have to admire the bands that stand up to this system, or make use of it, and manage to strike a chord in people, so that the industry has to come to them. Either that, or they continue to put out music on their own or on small labels, out of dedication to the spirit of music, something that seems to hold a more sacred spot in people's lives than say, TV. It certainly inspires more passion. For me, its all about the song itself, if it's great it will sound amazing even if sung without any instuments (Dead Can Dance - "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" for example). This may be veering off subject, but any of the previous groups I would like to hear in Hi-Rez on DVD-A format.:smokin

Hi,
Has anyone purchased the Ministery Industrial Rock disc called ANOMINOSIY or something like that?

It's been my only real mistake. I'm not saying the album is not well done (I can't telll), I just haven't found out what type of pharmacuticals go with it.

Peter m.

This may be veering off subject, but any of the previous groups I would like to hear in Hi-Rez on DVD-A format
Actually Linkin Park has a DVD-A release.

However, they certainly don't qualify as "the independent, defiant, briliant spirit of music" - which seems to have been killed along with Kurt Cobain...

In 1993 I went to buy Nirvana tickets, and the agent was this older guy who was like "Nirvana, that's just for the kids".I tried to tell him that they were keeping this great 3 piece rock tradition going, like Cream or Hendrix, and that they had cool songs and really jammed, and that I was really looking forward to the show. It was a super concert too. However, at that time, In Utero had just come out, the critics hated it, and ther was speculation that they were a one hit wonder. They also rarely got played on the big FM rock stations, you'd only hear Heart Shaped Box maybe once in a week. Even Teen Spirit wasn't being played much. Later, after Kurt died, it became huge, not unlike Hendrix. Linkin Park has excellent rock hooks, write intelligent, insightful, soul baring lyrics, and the songs themselves have unusual and haunting melodies, beautiful stuff. I have the remix DVD-A, but I like the originals a whole lot, and would like to hear those albums in surround too. Another band that I like a great deal and have seen live about 9 or 10 times is the Psychedelic Furs, and I've known people who didn't think much of them either. Many perceptions about music change over time, I can remember being ragged on about listening to Pink Floyd Electric Moo when it came out, people asking why I listen to this "goof" music. Of course two years later DSOTM came out, and everyone had always been a fan, although they had mostly never heard the early stuff. Not trying to persuade anyone to like anything, just things I've observed over time that I find amusing.

Back