HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake and Palmer - EMERSON LAKE & PALMER

• Total voters
It's interested reading back this thread and seeing that quite a few fans (including SW himself) aren't all that enamored with this surround mix. All I can say is, I just managed to add this one to my collection and I think it's brilliant. I gave it a 9. My only past ELP listening has been the DVD-As of Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy, and I like this one better than either of those.

Considering how sparsely-arranged some of these songs are, the surround mix is incredible. This is definitely one of SW's more active mixes: the drums do a nice around-the-room pan at the beginning of "The Barbarian", while Emerson's piano is almost always completed isolated in the rears, along with the doubled/backing vocals. I much prefer this version of "Lucky Man" to the old one: putting the chorus vocals entirely in the rears was a brilliant move and it sounds incredible cranked up.

"Take A Pebble":
View attachment 39386

"The Three Fates - Atropos":
View attachment 39387

Now to find a copy of Tarkus for sensible money...

TOTAL AGREEMENT, Jonathan. I likewise gave it a 9. Always loved this album and it's never sounded better! Take A Pebble sounds otherworldly!

It's interested reading back this thread and seeing that quite a few fans (including SW himself) aren't all that enamored with this surround mix. All I can say is, I just managed to add this one to my collection and I think it's brilliant. I gave it a 9. My only past ELP listening has been the DVD-As of Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy, and I like this one better than either of those.

Considering how sparsely-arranged some of these songs are, the surround mix is incredible. This is definitely one of SW's more active mixes: the drums do a nice around-the-room pan at the beginning of "The Barbarian", while Emerson's piano is almost always completed isolated in the rears, along with the doubled/backing vocals.

As for "Lucky Man", I thought the old version was decent, but this is demo stuff. The chorus vocals in the rears are incredible.

"Take A Pebble":
View attachment 39386

"The Three Fates - Atropos":
View attachment 39387

Now to find a copy of Tarkus for sensible money...
Glad you liked it, Jonathan. I didn’t understand the negative reviews either. Wilson’s flat remixes demand to be cranked properly to really come alive and I wonder if that has something to do with any of the less than positive reviews.

I prefer the old 'Lucky Man' to SW's. The Moog ending on the old DVD-A is spine-tingling....one SW's not so much.

But overall this is much the better of his two ELP album remixes. Tarkus is a bad misfire that no amount of 'cranking' will correct.

Well, it's weird to rate this one, isn't it? The mix is fine, if a bit subdued for Wilson - but I can't get over the fact that he chose not to upmix most of "The Three Fates" and Tank." I mean, WTF? They're just not there on the blu ray - so you don't even get the full album on said disc. Those tracks are there on the stereo version on CD one (in the original LP mix too, how often has Steven done that?), but that's it. Oh well, what's left still sounds pretty good, so I'll give it a 9, but boy, it's sure upsetting that he chose to just leave those songs off rather than upmix.

Well, the Hawkwind dvda came out in 2013 as opposed to 2015 for ELP so I guess yes he was doing upmixes because Hawkwing Kings of Speed is an upmix.

The ELP self-titled and Tarkus DVD-As (with 5.1 by SW) came out in 2012, but the Trilogy DVD-A (with 5.1 by Jakko) didn't come out until 2015. However, Steven's 5.1 mix of KC's In The Wake Of Poseidon included an upmix of "The Devil's Triangle" and that DVD-A originally came out way back in 2009.

The ELP self-titled and Tarkus DVD-As (with 5.1 by SW) came out in 2012, but the Trilogy DVD-A (with 5.1 by Jakko) didn't come out until 2015. However, Steven's 5.1 mix of KC's In The Wake Of Poseidon included an upmix of "The Devil's Triangle" and that DVD-A originally came out way back in 2009.
Yes, you are correct. Not sure where I got that 2015 date from...senior moment

All I can say is WOW,WOW,WOW! This is a fantastic mix as good as any vintage quad! The sound quality is amazing. I very seldom vote a ten and this was not even one of my favourite albums but it's getting a ten from me! Thunderous bass and drums, I haven't checked DR but it doesn't sound compressed. No need to rip my vinyl, I might even list it for sale if I ever start selling again!

The odd thing is that it is from Sony but is a DVDA disc. You would think that they would of stuck with SACD, but I'm not complaining!

Back