HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY

• Total voters
Mine arrive yesterday and I gave the 5.1 DTS 96/24 audio a spin last night (no DVD-A on my Sony BDP). I enjoyed the fidelity and mix a lot. About 40 minutes of good fun and I'm looking forward to future listens.

The only not-so-flash bits were the packaging (cardboard spine bent in the post as usual - cardboard packaging man; hate it with a passion) and all the typos in the liner notes.

Does anyone know if any of the other recent 5.1 ELP releases have a DVD Video layer? I can't find any conclusive info or back-of-packaging photos on the internets. I know, I know - one day I'll get an Oppo. I'm waiting for 4K to sort itself out first though. Then there's the purchase of a new player, TV, receiver and cables to look forward to. Ah, fun times.

Mine arrive yesterday and I gave the 5.1 DTS 96/24 audio a spin last night (no DVD-A on my Sony BDP). I enjoyed the fidelity and mix a lot. About 40 minutes of good fun and I'm looking forward to future listens.

The only not-so-flash bits were the packaging (cardboard spine bent in the post as usual - cardboard packaging man; hate it with a passion) and all the typos in the liner notes.

Does anyone know if any of the other recent 5.1 ELP releases have a DVD Video layer? I can't find any conclusive info or back-of-packaging photos on the internets. I know, I know - one day I'll get an Oppo. I'm waiting for 4K to sort itself out first though. Then there's the purchase of a new player, TV, receiver and cables to look forward to. Ah, fun times.

Yes - they all will play in DVD-V players and have a DTS stream.

All of the ELP DVD-A 5.1 releases have DVD-V layers too, but be careful with "Brain Salad Surgery"!
The 3-disc reissue is a DVD-A/V with just stereo-only content, while you have to buy the Super Deluxe Box Set to get the DVD-A with the 5.1 mix on it.
For the other two releases (ELP & Tarkus), the three disc editions contain the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A/V disc.

Hope that helps! :)

FYI - the Brain Salad Surgery 2000 DVD-A (Kellogg) mix is only Dolby Digital on the DVD-V part.

Part of the DVD-A spec is that it has to have a DVD-V section as well for backward compatibility so you never have to worry about that.

Even the crappy Silverline DVD-A releases that don't have a stereo mix on them have the surround mix on both the DVD-A and DVD-V sides.

Part of the DVD-A spec is that it has to have a DVD-V section as well for backward compatibility so you never have to worry about that.

Even the crappy Silverline DVD-A releases that don't have a stereo mix on them have the surround mix on both the DVD-A and DVD-V sides.

steelydave, I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know. Time to purchase some more music. This forum rules!

Jakko still overplays the reverb, and his habit of putting lead instruments (PIANO) in the surrounds is just *not* *good*. But this is better than his botch of BSS, so that. A boon for bass players learning ELP, because he's highlighted Greg at Keith's expense in several tracks. One point plus for the nice work on Living Sin, incorporating new materal.. One point off for putting the screaming Moog lead at the end of Abbadon's Bolero in deep background. WTF Jakko?

Jakko still overplays the reverb, and his habit of putting lead instruments (PIANO) in the surrounds is just *not* *good*.

At the beginning of the title track, Greg's vocals are up front and Keith's piano is in the rears. I actually enjoyed that approach. I thought it created a very nice, immersive feel.

Well I've listened to this in 5.1 now a couple of times through and I'm very pleased with Jackko's mix.Well done!!

Endless Enigma sounds exceptional.I think Greg Lakes vocals throughout the disc are amazing. Some of his best vocals of any ELP disc.

Palmer's superb drumming/pounding a little missed out on this release, not on all tracks though.I love the "Bolero" track with Keith and Carl.

My only peeve on this disc is the slightly different bass/synth at just over 3 min into the title track Trilogy. Only becuse it sounded a little flat when compared to the original.If your not used to it , it should not bother you in the least, because overall this is an amazing surround track. (The original multi is probably toast)

This disc is a must own for any 5.1 Prog fan or fan of classical rock or classical music.

This disc gets a 9.5 from me, well done Jakko, and thanks for including the bonus alt mix track in 5.1.It's so nice to get something well done.

My only peeve on this disc is the slightly different bass/synth at just over 3 min into the title track Trilogy. Only becuse it sounded a little flat when compared to the original.If your not used to it , it should not bother you in the least, because overall this is an amazing surround track. (The original multi is probably toast)

yeah, what is up with that 'new' bass part? really distracting to me.

At the beginning of the title track, Greg's vocals are up front and Keith's piano is in the rears. I actually enjoyed that approach. I thought it created a very nice, immersive feel.

I'm not a fan of 'immersive' mixes (I've never been fond of 'Harvest', for example). I like surround to be used for things that make 'sense' or as 'flavoring' . Not arbitrary placement of entire lead instrument parts.

I'm not a fan of 'immersive' mixes (I've never been fond of 'Harvest', for example). I like surround to be used for things that make 'sense' or as 'flavoring' . Not arbitrary placement of entire lead instrument parts.

I love so called immersive mixes and they do make sense (mostly) if you put your perspective up on stage with the band. But it wouldn't matter to me if they made sense or not, because I just love the way they tickle my senses.

Last edited:

:confused::yikes

I feel totally opposite.

Had a chance to listen to the remixes, both the new 2.0 and the 5.1.
First impression (no pun intended) is positive. In general a faithful remix, without too many obvious 'creative choices' that border on reassembling the mix into something quite different from the original (like some curious mixing choices on BSS, like Jerusalem and KE9 3rd Impression). On closer inspection though, there are some small adjustments to the original mixing choices, but they are never intrusive or distracting me from enjoying this album.
I thoroughly enjoy this remix, more than I did the remix of BSS, which was too much of a reassembly exercise to my ears.

Sonically I think Jakko did a really great job, updating the heavily overdubbed original GL mix into a clearer and less muddled sounding mix. I think the lack of low end that some reviewers have mentioned, is more than likely only a matter of perception: because the higher mid and upper range of the sound spectrum are more pronounced and more even in the new mix, it might appear that some low end has disappeared. I am sure it has not, the low end is just better balanced in the entire mix than it was in the original mix. Maybe the original mix suffered from too much overdubbing and subsequently last some of its brightness.
Anyway, my compliments to Jakko for an outstanding mix. He has given this album a new lease of life for me and I thank him for that!

:confused::yikes

I feel totally opposite.

*shrug*.

Listen to the new Steve Wilson 'Minstrel in the Gallery' 5.1 mix. *THAT* is how to do it right. (Not that SW always gets it 'right', but he sure did with that one. I auditioned it and 'Trilogy' 5.1 back to back and it was no contest.)

*shrug*.

Listen to the new Steve Wilson 'Minstrel in the Gallery' 5.1 mix. *THAT* is how to do it right. (Not that SW always gets it 'right', but he sure did with that one. I auditioned it and 'Trilogy' 5.1 back to back and it was no contest.)

So you do not like the Flaming Lips surround mixes?

I love those, actually. FL mixes actually feature a lot of stuff *moving* between channels.

And even though they have zero dynamic range ;>

And too, they aren't remixes of beloved works from the 1970s.

Overall I think Jakko did an excellent job on this. The sound is outstanding and bits that were previously ’in the red’ are much cleaner now without losing intensity.

I’m very pleased with the 5.1 mix apart from a few quibbles. The organ is too low throughout “The Sheriff” and the vocal doubling technique on the original (ADT) is replicated poorly here resulting in a ghostly echo in the rears. On the plus side the drums sound fabulous and we do get a previously unheard vocal harmony at the ends of a few phrases. The “Turkey in the Straw” quote in “Hoedown” is pretty obscured but, interestingly, at that same point some handclaps appear that were absent from the original.

I adore this album up through the title track when it starts to lose some steam for me. Fortunately the 5.1 mix breathes new life into the final 2 tracks. There are some cool new vocal bits in “Living Sin” and the “Bolero” mix is fun apart from the keyboard lead that appears about 3 minutes in. The doubling effect is not reproduced effectively and comes across as a bit garbled.

None of these minor quibbles, however, diminishes my enthusiasm for this release. I’m enjoying it immensely and happily give it a 9+.

Side note: It’s interesting how the greater separation of instruments in 5.1 has the unfortunate side effect of magnifying the occasional sloppiness of the trio. I had the same observation with the other discs, particularly Tarkus. The band sounds much tighter in the more forgiving world of two-channel. Keep in mind, please, this is just something that strikes me now and then as I listen and by no means a knock on the musicianship!

Back