HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - TRILOGY

• Total voters
Using a different system, different room since my first impressions five years ago. Gave 'Hoedown' 5.1 a spin the other day just to see if maybe...and then compared it back to the beloved (by me) original stereo mix (upmixed with DPLII) just to be sure. 'The Sherriff" too.

Nope, JJ's mix still sounds pretty whacked. Like, that weirdly exposed an un-integrated bass in the center channel of Hoedown...why?* The poor attempt at reverb replication on "Sherriff'. Also a general thinness in the low end.

I can't fathom what this guy was thinking when he made these mix choices. I have to guess there was something seriously strange about his mixing setup, for him to think it sounds good. (he got better recently with his Fish Out of Water mix, and this THRAK mix is great)

(* quite useful for transcribing the part, though)

Mix: 5/5: Discrete, but also the room ambience is nice - the drums are basically front stereo but have a lovely depth and width to them which is bigger than the actual speakers. From The Beginning, which is basically an acoustic ballad, has been mixed nicely, spreading it out without being silly. Sometimes the four corners are not cohesive enough, it's like 4 random sounds rather than parts of a tune... but that's ELP for you!

Sound: 5/5: Very, very good. Bass is fat but solid (not fuzzy), piano sounds real, synths sound like other-world noises, as they should.

Music: 4/5: Slightly difficult and slightly cheesy but quite fun and some of the synths do sound great.

Weighted score: 5*3+5*2+4*1 = 15+10+4 = 29/30 = 9.66/10 =10.

Back