EMI UK (including Angel, Apple, Harvest, Purple, and Studio Two) Q8's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's an up close look at my DSOTM Q8:
DSOTM QQ 1.jpg

DSOTM QQ 2.jpg

DSOTM QQ 3.jpg
DSOTM QQ 4.jpg
DSOTM QQ 5.jpg

Here are some "proof of life" images of a few of these EMI Q8's I pilfered from auction listings:

Q8-TWO 337 - Manuel & The Music of the Mountains 'Carnival'
q8-TWO-337-manuel_carnival.jpg

Q8-TWO 359 - Pepe Jaramillo and Manuel & The Music of The Mountains 'Pepe Jaramillo Meets Manuel'
q8-TWO-359-manuel-pepe-jaramillo.jpg

Q8-TWO 412 - Franck Pourcel 'Western'
q8-TWO-412-frank_pourcel-western-1.jpg

FYI, EMI has released the Previn as a 24/48 Quad DVD-Audio, as they did for many others (although they didn't include the "Improvisations." DTS also got many of the classical quads.

61VpIhS-IfL._SL600_.jpg

This is a useful guide to EMI's releases - I don't think it misses any: http://www.classicalcdreview.com/dvdareviews.htm

The DTS releases are cataloged here - all are from EMI quad tapes except the Don Jackson recordings (no conductor listed means Don Jackson): http://www.surrounddiscography.com/dts/dtsdisc.htm#classical

Not quite what you're asking, but potentially helpful.
Thanks for posting the link with lists of the EMI releases on DVD. I think that all of them are 24/48 DVD in the V format right, no DVD-A to be had.

I’d love to hear the Ravel - Bolero EMI in quad from DVD, I’ve heard the SQ LP played back in stereo and it’s a wonderful airy sounding recording with detail.

Last edited:
Trawling through eBay UK completed auctions tonight and I found some more of these tapes, two previously unknown to have been issued on Q8, and two more "proof of life" pictures. The pictures in the auction listing weren't great but I did my best to make them bright and legible in photoshop - the two previously unknown ones don't actually have the catalog number visible, so it's basically a very educated guess on my part, based on the catalog number format for these Q8's and the catalog number of the equivalent SQ LP.

Q8 TWO 380 - Berglund/Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra 'The Popular Sibelius' (LP equivalent: Q4 TWO 380)
q8-two-380-popular_sibelius.jpgq8-two-380-popular_sibelius-1.jpgq8-two-380-popular_sibelius-2.jpg

Q8 ASD 2816 - Von Karajan/Berlin Phiharmonic 'Tchaikovsky: Pathetique Symphony' (LP equivalent: Q4 ASD 2816)
q8-asd-2816-karajan_tchaikovsky_pathetique.jpg

I've added both of these two the list in post #1 - makes you wonder just how many of these EMI Q8's are actually out there.

Proof of life:

Q8-TWO 299 - Gibson/Scottish National Orchestra 'Wine, Women & Song (Waltzes & Polkas by Johann Strauss)'
q8-two-299-wine_women_song.jpgq8-two-299-wine_women_song-1.jpgq8-two-299-wine_women_song-2.jpg

Q8-TWO 350 - Fremaux/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra 'Le Cid - Ballet Music, Scènes Pittoresques, The Last Sleep of the Virgin'
q8-two-350-massenet_le_cid.jpgq8-two-350-massenet_le_cid-1.jpgq8-two-350-massenet_le_cid-2.jpg

More proof of life from eBay UK auctions:

Q8 ASD 2825 - Kersenbaum, Martinon/Orchestre National De L'O.R.T.F. 'Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.2 (Complete Original Version)'
q8-asd-2825_tchaikovsky_piano_concerto_no2_kersenbaum_martinon_1.jpgq8-asd-2825_tchaikovsky_piano_concerto_no2_kersenbaum_martinon_2.jpgq8-asd-2825_tchaikovsky_piano_concerto_no2_kersenbaum_martinon_3.jpgq8-asd-2825_tchaikovsky_piano_concerto_no2_kersenbaum_martinon_4.jpg

Q8-TWO 221 - Silvestri/Bournemouth Symphony 'Showpieces'
q8-two-221-showpieces-silvestri-bournemouth.jpg

More proof of life from eBay UK auctions:

Q8 ASD 2825 - Kersenbaum, Martinon/Orchestre National De L'O.R.T.F. 'Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.2 (Complete Original Version)'
View attachment 48178View attachment 48179View attachment 48180View attachment 48181

Q8-TWO 221 - Silvestri/Bournemouth Symphony 'Showpieces'
View attachment 48182
Cool! Silvestri has had a minor renaissance lately, as EMI released a box set of essentially all his recordings that reminded people of how good he was.
71tny2rvUgL._SL500_.jpg

eBay has been a godsend for gathering, sorting out, and assembling the Quad story internationally.

Back