Encoding 5.1 Tracks for DVDA Creation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently caught in a double-bug loop. I was trying to create a DVDA from the Blu-ray flac tracks of Atom Heart Mother. 4.0 PCM is supposed to be supported. Any more tracks than that requires MLP. No problem there, other than the fact that there appears to be a separate bug associated with really long MLP tracks. The length of title track (in MLP format) seems to cause dvda-author to crash. It is still unclear if it's a dvda-author issue or the experimental conversion process from FFmpeg. I have a talent for stuff like this. I break software on a frequent basis.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but there’s activity from people who might know, so I’ll butt in. Mods, please move this to the appropriate place if not.

Is anyone familiar with the “Music DVD” format? Roxio allows you to make discs in that format, and it lets you put about six hours of uncompressed stereo PCM on a single-layer disc, and about 60 hours of compressed stereo on a dual-layer disc. I’ve used it for a handful of projects (Christmas music and Indianapolis 500 radio broadcasts, for example), and it seems to work quite well within those constraints. There’s one still picture per track, and no sound in the menus, at least through that authoring program.

What I don’t know is if there’s a way to put MCH audio in that format, or if you can add audio to the menus. Roxio doesn’t have those available, but since my OPPO detects them as DVD-Video, it seems like it ought to be possible with a few hacks, which I’m not fluent in.

I've done that but don't recall the program I used. AudioDVD something. It would burn various resolutions but stereo only. It was fine on the Oppo but the JVC player in my car at the time would not remember the last track played, and would start from the beginning of the disc after turning the car off and restarting.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but there’s activity from people who might know, so I’ll butt in. Mods, please move this to the appropriate place if not.

Is anyone familiar with the “Music DVD” format? Roxio allows you to make discs in that format, and it lets you put about six hours of uncompressed stereo PCM on a single-layer disc, and about 60 hours of compressed stereo on a dual-layer disc. I’ve used it for a handful of projects (Christmas music and Indianapolis 500 radio broadcasts, for example), and it seems to work quite well within those constraints. There’s one still picture per track, and no sound in the menus, at least through that authoring program.

What I don’t know is if there’s a way to put MCH audio in that format, or if you can add audio to the menus. Roxio doesn’t have those available, but since my OPPO detects them as DVD-Video, it seems like it ought to be possible with a few hacks, which I’m not fluent in.
You can't author anything higher than 16-bit 48khz 5.1 or 24-bit 96khz stereo in DVD-Video mode due to bitrate constrictions.

You can't author anything higher than 16-bit 48khz 5.1 or 24-bit 96khz stereo in DVD-Video mode due to bitrate constrictions.
Indeed...

Capture.PNG

Is anyone familiar with the “Music DVD” format?

The DVDV spec can include lossy DTS 5.1 encoded (both 48/24 and 96/24 format). Also Dolby Digital 5.1.

There have been many commercial releases over the years of course. Our polls feature many using the [ADVD] format code.

Last edited:
I had noted in this thread that when I attempted to create a DVDA with 4.0 PCM tracks, the resulting audio was just white noise. I have been conversing with the co-creator of dvda-author and provided sample data. A bug has been confirmed and should be fixed in the next few months.
Random thought: Do you need a genuine DVD-A or will your hardware work with a simple data DVD containing either per-track FLACs or a whole-album FLAC with a cue sheet?

Random thought: Do you need a genuine DVD-A or will your hardware work with a simple data DVD containing either per-track FLACs or a whole-album FLAC with a cue sheet?
I can play the flacs, was just trying to create a DVD-A for easy plug and play. It is not a big deal if I can't do it.

True, although I’m not trying to go with crazy high-rez. CD quality is as good as I can hear, but multi-channel is more interesting than stereo. FWIW, when Impur a mono track on the Roxio authoring system, it automagically makes it a stereo recording. Just wondering if anyone knows some hacks to expand the capabilities of the format.

The DVDV spec can include lossy DTS 5.1 encoded (both 48/24 and 96/24 format). Also Dolby Digital 5.1.

There have been many commercial releases over the years of course. Our polls feature many using the [ADVD] format code.
I know enough to know that Music DVDs aren’t DVD-As. And I’m not trying to make DVD-As, at least not yet.

My Oppo 105 says the discs are DVD-Vs, so maybe, maybe, there’s a hack or two that would allow me to make a multi-channel disc, but it seems like the format isn’t widely known or understood.

It’s cool for big mix tapes and long audio recordings, which is how I use it, but I’m looking into expanding my horizons.

Out of interest... Why do you want to create multi-channel discs?

The first thing I do after buying any (type of) audio disc is, rip it and store it on one of my HDD's. The OPPO players can easily access and play audio content from USB connected HDD's...

I know enough to know that Music DVDs aren’t DVD-As. And I’m not trying to make DVD-As, at least not yet

My Oppo 105 says the discs are DVD-Vs, so maybe, maybe, there’s a hack or two that would allow me to make a multi-channel disc, but it seems like the format isn’t widely known or understood.

DTS DVDVs are not DVD-As. DVDA has lossless mlp encoded audio and can only be played on DVDA players (and BD players with DVD-A support). DVDV can be played on any DVDV and BDV player.

Out of interest... Why do you want to create multi-channel discs?

The first thing I do after buying any (type of) audio disc is, rip it and store it on one of my HDD's. The OPPO players can easily access and play audio content from USB connected HDD's...
For seamless playback, posterity, backup, etc.

FWIW, my Oppo 105D recently took a crap when connected to a couple of USB sticks plugged into the rear ports. I removed them and it's working fine. In the process of seeing what the problem is, because there is a lot of content on both sticks.

DTS DVDVs are not DVD-As. DVDA has lossless mlp encoded audio and can only be played on DVDA players (and BD players with DVD-A support). DVDV can be played on any DVDV and BDV player.
Didn't read carefully. I know that DTS is an encoding scheme, not a recording format.

Just so you know...

You can obtain perfect seamless playback of any (type of) audio disc back-up stored on HDD's. Many of us have been doing this for years.
What's the secret? I get seamless playback from my Marantz pre-pro, but not my Oppo 105D.

There's no secret. You simply place your continuous audio stream (such as a FLAC) along with its associated .cue file within a folder (or folders) and transfer them onto an HDD. Much like this: -

Capture.PNG

The .cue file (for the above) looks like this: -
Code:
PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
TITLE "Abbey Road [2019]"
REM DATE 1969 [2019]
REM GENRE Rock

FILE "Abbey Road [2019].flac" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Come Together"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Something"
    INDEX 01 04:20:50
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
    INDEX 01 07:22:60
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Oh! Darling"
    INDEX 01 10:50:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Octopus's Garden"
    INDEX 01 14:18:20
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
    INDEX 01 17:08:68
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Here Comes The Sun"
    INDEX 01 24:56:00
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Because"
    INDEX 01 28:01:70
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "You Never Give Me Your Money"
    INDEX 01 30:47:40
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Sun King"
    INDEX 01 34:50:00
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Mean Mr Mustard"
    INDEX 01 37:16:48
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Polythene Pam"
    INDEX 01 38:22:80
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"
    INDEX 01 39:35:48
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Golden Slumbers"
    INDEX 01 41:34:38
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Carry That Weight"
    INDEX 01 43:05:90
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "The End"
    INDEX 01 44:42:34
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Her Majesty"
    INDEX 01 47:04:25

Cheers

There's no secret. You simply place your continuous audio stream (such as a FLAC) along with its associated .cue file within a folder (or folders) and transfer them onto an HDD. Much like this: -

View attachment 85427

The .cue file (for the above) looks like this: -
Code:
PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
TITLE "Abbey Road [2019]"
REM DATE 1969 [2019]
REM GENRE Rock

FILE "Abbey Road [2019].flac" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Come Together"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Something"
    INDEX 01 04:20:50
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
    INDEX 01 07:22:60
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Oh! Darling"
    INDEX 01 10:50:00
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Octopus's Garden"
    INDEX 01 14:18:20
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
    INDEX 01 17:08:68
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Here Comes The Sun"
    INDEX 01 24:56:00
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Because"
    INDEX 01 28:01:70
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "You Never Give Me Your Money"
    INDEX 01 30:47:40
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Sun King"
    INDEX 01 34:50:00
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Mean Mr Mustard"
    INDEX 01 37:16:48
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Polythene Pam"
    INDEX 01 38:22:80
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"
    INDEX 01 39:35:48
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Golden Slumbers"
    INDEX 01 41:34:38
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Carry That Weight"
    INDEX 01 43:05:90
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "The End"
    INDEX 01 44:42:34
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
    PERFORMER "Beatles, The"
    TITLE "Her Majesty"
    INDEX 01 47:04:25

Cheers
What are you playing through? What’s actually reading the files?

Back