encoding discrete quad to Involve format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
I've spent the day making Involve encoded CD's from discrete DVD-A masters - so far I've encoded CD's of "Company" and "Earthquake" and "Jaws" - Company came out amazing sounding and the Involve decoder decodes it so well that it sounds pretty much discrete. The SQ version of Company has some audible artifacts when decoded with the Fosgate Tate II due to incorrect SQ encoding - Company was recorded with poor isolation between performers, which can clearly be seen in the documentary, and it was mixed to discrete 4 channel and then encoded with the first CBS SQ Encoder, the 2410 which could only encode the speaker positions plus CF and CB correctly; all other phantom images were skewed into incorrect positions or non-localizable - the end result with the Tate decoding was ito cause vocals to pull away from their specific speaker towards the center of the room or towards the vocal that is louder and many vocal positions are completely smeared and you can't tell where they are supposed to be coming from (thank goodness the forward/backwards SQ encoders and the SQ Position Encoder were developed to clear up the anomalies in SQ encoding/decoding). Anyway, NONE of these types of artifacts are audible with the Involve encode/decode - you can locate the positions where each performer is and there is no pulling or movement of vocals as others appear - it really does sound discrete. The soundtracks to Jaws and Earthquake, taken from the Japanese CD-4 LP releases, are very discrete and the encode/decode keeps them sounding discrete - and I'm totally amazed how they all sound like completely normal stereo when played without decoding. Now I'll be able to listen to them anywhere without needing a DVD player. I wish I had a cassette deck because I'd like to see how the Involve encoding holds up on cassette - the 90 degree phase shifts can be mucked up pretty easily by cassette phase shifts.

So, to say I'm impressed with the Involve encode/decode and stereo compatibility would be an understatement.

I've spent the day making Involve encoded CD's from discrete DVD-A masters - so far I've encoded CD's of "Company" and "Earthquake" and "Jaws" - Company came out amazing sounding and the Involve decoder decodes it so well that it sounds pretty much discrete. The SQ version of Company has some audible artifacts when decoded with the Fosgate Tate II due to incorrect SQ encoding

What did you use as your source for "Company", the 8-track?

Having just gotten a less-than-great-looking copy of the SQ for a buck, I'm wondering how the Involve box will work with it. Haven't had time to play it yet.

What did you use as your source for "Company", the 8-track?

Having just gotten a less-than-great-looking copy of the SQ for a buck, I'm wondering how the Involve box will work with it. Haven't had time to play it yet.

The recording of Company came from a lossless DVD-Audio that was made from a quarter track open reel recorded from the original 4 channel master tape at CBS. The sound quality is incredible and better than the SQ LP.

PM me for more info.

The recording of Company came from a lossless DVD-Audio that was made from a quarter track open reel recorded from the original 4 channel master tape at CBS. The sound quality is incredible and better than the SQ LP.

PM me for more info.

Thank you...I guess I'd better make time to listen to the record to find out if I even like the music! :phones

Back