encoding for broadcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please note that right now the only encoder I can find listed is the Involve Smart Encode demo board for $150. No case, no push buttons, you know, a demo board.

They did have actually 2 versions of their encoder in nice professional boxes with controls. I don't see those now but they were $$$. So make sure you are aware.
Still have a few but it's around $2k

Hi All

YAY to Bill, Our number 1 aim is to get Involve encode into recording studios and radio stations as the new "stereo" so I am very happy to support this project!

Bill has asked me for a brochure of the evaluation modules.......see attached

Regards

Chucky
I've been using the Involve Evaluation Encoder to create surround-encoded CD's from my DVD-A and SACD discs to play, undecoded for now, in my car. The separation is still nice and wide, with the rear channel sounds even wider, through the stereo. When I play any of these discs in the house, which also means through the SM. Although the sound gets dumbed down to 16/44.1, you'd never know it. The clarity, dynamics, and separation are nearly impossible to tell from a direct playback of the original. I'm sold on Involve Surround, and the record companies, and major recording studios, need to look into incorporating this technology.

Hi All

YAY to Bill, Our number 1 aim is to get Involve encode into recording studios and radio stations as the new "stereo" so I am very happy to support this project!

Bill has asked me for a brochure of the evaluation modules.......see attached

Regards

Chucky
I've been using the Involve Evaluation Encoder to create surround-encoded CD's from my DVD-A and SACD discs to play, undecoded for now, in my car. The separation is still nice and wide, with the rear channel sounds even wider, through the stereo. When I play any of these discs in the house, which also means through the SM. Although the sound gets dumbed down to 16/44.1, you'd never know it. The clarity, dynamics, and separation are nearly impossible to tell from a direct playback of the original. I'm sold on Involve Surround, and the record companies, and major recording studios, need to experience what it can do for them.

I've been using the Involve Evaluation Encoder to create surround-encoded CD's from my DVD-A and SACD discs to play, undecoded for now, in my car. The separation is still nice and wide, with the rear channel sounds even wider, through the stereo. When I play any of these discs in the house, which also means through the SM. Although the sound gets dumbed down to 16/44.1, you'd never know it. The clarity, dynamics, and separation are nearly impossible to tell from a direct playback of the original. I'm sold on Involve Surround, and the record companies, and major recording studios, need to experience what it can do for them.
Exactly what I have been babbling about!

We need to stop thinking of matrix as just a way of cramming 4 discrete channels into a 2-channel medium. Each matrix system is a continuum of pan positions. The 4 channels are the encodings that pan to where the speakers are.

But there are other pan positions in between. Depending on the system, those pannings show up in multiple speakers. And if you really want, a speaker can be put in to respond to any of the pannings.

I did this in my first year of experimenting with quad. In the process, I realized that the Scheiber system, the Hafler diamond, the EV system, the QS system, and Dynaquad are all variations in the same continuum. I built an 8-channel system using both the QS and Hafler diamond decodings. They work very well together. Each speaker is perfectly decoded for the location of the sound in the other system.

Here is a diagram of the continuum. Ignore the numbers (part of another article).
surrpand.gif

From this I then devised a simple encoding system using a standard 4-bus mixer and a special encoding module I put in bus inserts 3 and 4. The resulting encodings work equally well in any of these systems (and SM too).

cstrip.gif

The continuum aspect lets me put the sound anywhere in a circle around the listener with only two controls per mixer channel strip:
- The pan control pans the sound to any position around either the front half of the circle surrounding the listener or the back half.
- The bus selectors choose whether the sound is panned in either the front half or the back half of the listening area.
Select buses 1 & 2 for front, and 3 & 4 for back.

For mixers with pan controls on each bus, buses 1 and 3 are panned left, while buses 2 and 4 are panned right.

Feed the output of the mixer into a matrix decoder to monitor the mix.

Last edited:
We need to stop thinking of matrix as just a way of cramming 4 discrete channels into a 2-channel medium. Each matrix system is a continuum of pan positions. The 4 channels are the encodings that pan to where the speakers are.

But there are other pan positions in between. Depending on the system, those pannings show up in multiple speakers. And if you really want, a speaker can be put in to respond to any of the pannings.

I did this in my first year of experimenting with quad. In the process, I realized that the Scheiber system, the Hafler diamond, the EV system, the QS system, and Dynaquad are all variations in the same continuum. I built an 8-channel system using both the QS and Hafler diamond decodings. They work very well together. Each speaker is perfectly decoded for the location of the sound in the other system.

Here is a diagram of the continuum. Ignore the numbers (part of another article).
View attachment 86522
From this I then devised a simple encoding system using a standard 4-bus mixer and a special encoding module I put in bus inserts 3 and 4. The resulting encodings work equally well in any of these systems (and SM too).

View attachment 86521

The continuum aspect lets me put the sound anywhere in a circle around the listener with only two controls per mixer channel strip:
- The pan control pans the sound to any position around either the front half of the circle surrounding the listener or the back half.
- The bus selectors choose whether the sound is panned in either the front half or the back half of the listening area.
Select buses 1 & 2 for front, and 3 & 4 for back.

For mixers with pan controls on each bus, buses 1 and 3 are panned left, while buses 2 and 4 are panned right.

Feed the output of the mixer into a matrix decoder to monitor the mix.
So.let us hear an example of your encoding.

Back