Endel: an AI Generated Music App

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleMoustache

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter

Another release from(?) Endel, the AI music generation app that also releases albums because Warner signed them a few years back. Don’t recognize the artist that’s collaborating, unlike the previous Endel Atmos release with James Blake. Unlike the James Blake, which is “designed” for sleep (linked below) this seems more “designed” for being on the go
Earlier today I posted in the Apple Music/Tidal Atmos streaming Thread about another release from an App, Endel, that uses AI to constantly generate music. I found it interesting that despite fairly regular “album” releases (likely snippets from the never ending “stream”), only these two seem to be in Atmos, so I did some digging.

I recall trying out Endel a few years back and not being as impressed compared to the various Eno apps with respect to “infinite” ambient music. And it didn’t seem especially worth a monthly cost, as seemingly everything is these days (irritatingly they do have a one time payment lifetime sub, but hide the option behind waiting out a full trial).

I redownloaded and have discovered that they seem to have improved in years since, and… shockingly… it’s in *surround!*. My AirPods Pro 2 immediately kicked into “Spatial Audio” mode as the app reports to have a “multichannel” signal. I did a test of their new “motion tracked” “songs” (which pulls movement data from the Apple Watch) while going to my apartments mail room and pick up a package, and I swear the (headphone) surround experience was better than most electronic Atmos mixes I’ve heard.

It gets more interesting: they have an Apple TV app, that at the moment only contains the James Blake “album”, but as the infinitely generated AI stream, same as the phone app… but alas in stereo only. But the Apple TV App Store Page sure… looks like it intends to become feature complete with the phone app at some time. Hopefully when it does, it will have Multichannel output functionality.

Sitting here, listening I… am not sure if it’s worth a monthly or yearly, or lifetime or whatever sub… they do have seemingly a fairly limited free mode, but you have to find and hit all the x’s when it wants you to commit… and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it having my movement data all the time… but definitely something interesting in the streaming Multichannel space.

https://endel.io/

Earlier I listened to the James Blake album you posted. Just had it on in the background while working which, I suppose, somewhat defeats the intent of that particular album. Listening to Dayglow now.

It’s going to be fascinating to see what people come up with in terms of AI and apps in the music realm. I seem to recall Adrian Belew had an app called FLUX for some sort of music creation, but that was some years ago. Not sure if it’s even around these days.

But the fact that this type of thing is moving in the multichannel direction makes it even more interesting.

Back