Music DVD Poll Enigma - MCMXC a.D. - The Complete Album DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Enigma - MCMXC a.D."

• 10 - Superb Mix, Visuals & Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Visuals & Content

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations on this release.
Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS 5.1
LPCM Stereo

I know it's an old classic - and will register my vote once I have had the time to sit down with it & give it a good listen - it only just landed on the doormat here after I found it online.
The DTS mix bodes well - and the inclusion of an LPCM stream implies that for once we have one of those all too rare Music DVD-V discs where the music is given priority over crap video.
There are 4 complete videos according to the sleeve - but I would think the primary timeline is going to be a slideshow.
This could be superb - I hope it is - the original album, way back in '92 or thereabouts - was awesome with a couple of "Disco Biscuits" down yer neck.....(allegedly)

Last edited:
I suspect the sound is adapted from the old laserdisc/VHS edition. That means it's going to be enhanced 5.1 from the original stereo source, nothing discrete. The sound of the LD was nice, but this is awfully silly, pointless nonsense in the first place, and inexplicably successful worldwide, given what little it really amounts to: a clever producer's gimmick, the only enigma being why it sold so well(not so enigmatic is how easily it's been forgotten).

ED :)

Well.
What can I say apart from "F-O-R-G-E-T it".
Lets pull this one to pieces right now.
We could ignore the seriously cheesy "Frodo meets Shakespeare" type "videos" that accompany this piece of garbage if the surround mix was discrete. Which, as Ed warns, it is not.
There are times when it seems to be almost discrete, but that is an illusion.
Forget the 3 streams, this is such a turkey it should only have slipped the leash at Christmas or Thanksgiving in the US.

Such a shame, as this is a release I really, really wanted to be a good one - I have some very fond memories of this album, a couple of pills & a very willing blonde I used to know...........ah well.

yep, got this one for years, nothing to get excited about...

but there is a dvd edition of his 2006 record a posteriori which is supposed to have great sound, mixed specifically for surround (ot everybody likes the songs, though..)

When I'm with my 5.1 system I still listen to a dvd rip of it in 5.1. I don't mind and it find the mix kinda nice actually even though its nothing amazing. It definitely adds quite a bit of depth to everything.

Back