Eolian - Division - new 5.1 album (24/96 FLAC)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ! I've got a new album out March 12, but since tomorrow is bandcamp Friday, I thought I'd get it out early to the fine folks.
Here are two songs in 5.1 as promo/samples. Some may recall the 'bomb cyclone' storm March 12, 2019. Here in Colorado it knocked out power for days. I was unprepared and mostly ate canned food in the dark and wrote songs. Across the street, the houses never lost power. I could see the neighbors over there being all warm and happy, and it started an idea for a rock opera/concept album.
Then March 12, 2020 comes around and it happens to be the first day of lockdown. Us vs Them becomes the reality. We see a division of ethics, safety, access, power, race, wealth, etc. The house across the street faced eviction. I wrote a bunch of songs within this framework, all imagined as coming from two very different sides of the same street. After some time of one side having no power, the other side decides to share, which sparks a fire that burns down all the houses.
Compared to the other albums I've been putting out, this has more layered vocals, more synth, less guitars, and is anchored by bass guitar. The 5.1 mix uses the rear speakers heavily.
The 14 song album will also come with 8 of the songs mixed instrumentally. As before, delivered via bandcamp, email, and google drive link. This time I recorded and mixed in 96k so the FLAC files are 96k as well.
http://eolian.bandcamp.com/ Division_Eolian.jpg

QQ! I've got a new album out March 12, but since tomorrow is bandcamp Friday, I thought I'd get it out early to the fine folks.
Here are two songs in 5.1 as promo/samples. Some may recall the 'bomb cyclone' storm March 12, 2019. Here in Colorado it knocked out power for days. I was unprepared and mostly ate canned food in the dark and wrote songs. Across the street, the houses never lost power. I could see the neighbors over there being all warm and happy, and it started an idea for a rock opera/concept album.
Then March 12, 2020 comes around and it happens to be the first day of lockdown. Us vs Them becomes the reality. We see a division of ethics, safety, access, power, race, wealth, etc. The house across the street faced eviction. I wrote a bunch of songs within this framework, all imagined as coming from two very different sides of the same street. After some time of one side having no power, the other side decides to share, which sparks a fire that burns down all the houses.
Compared to the other albums I've been putting out, this has more layered vocals, more synth, less guitars, and is anchored by bass guitar. The 5.1 mix uses the rear speakers heavily.
The 14 song album will also come with 8 of the songs mixed instrumentally. As before, delivered via bandcamp, email, and google drive link. This time I recorded and mixed in 96k so the FLAC files are 96k as well.
http://eolian.bandcamp.com/View attachment 64138

Congratulations, Ian. I like what I've heard, and I've got my digital wallet at the ready for Bandcamp Friday.

Division is out today on all (stereo) streaming services. Not a big deal on here, of course, but if you feel like it, please add to playlists, share, etc as it helps so much with the way they work, as silly as that is. Same goes for any independent release!
Also, feel free to add opinions on the 5.1 mixes in this thread. Thanks for the support all!
As the original post in this thread says, I started the album two years ago today during a storm. Another storm rolling in now...
:rocks

Division got it's first official review and I must say I am very pleased to be 'following in the footsteps of XTC!' Thanks Wesley!
Eolian – Division - 5.1 FLAC surround review
I hope others are enjoying it as well!
Very nice indeed, I too am enjoying the music. Noticed an Amazon link at the bottom, any chance of selling the 5.1 album on Amazon also Ian?

Thanks, and good!
Do you mean physically? I've considered BD and have talked with Jan about it, but I'm unsure about the need/demand.
For 5.1 FLAC it is just bandcamp for now. I wish Tidal/Dolby would just start streaming 5.1.
It's available everywhere for stereo digital or streaming. I certainly like bandcamp above all others, but did make canvas videos for spotify. It's a fun loop feature instead of using static album art.

Thanks, and good!
Do you mean physically? I've considered BD and have talked with Jan about it, but I'm unsure about the need/demand.
For 5.1 FLAC it is just bandcamp for now.
I wish Tidal/Dolby would just start streaming 5.1.
It's available everywhere for stereo digital or streaming. I certainly like bandcamp above all others, but did make canvas videos for spotify. It's a fun loop feature instead of using static album art.
I guess I'm old fashioned or out of digital step; but it just seems like if you can sell a digital mp3 album on line (Amazon) there wouldn't be much difference in flac 5.1s. Maybe the sheer confusion and shit storm that could ensue from the younger folks, that know nothing about it; and couldn't get it to play on their iPhones/iPads could be a problem :unsure: or it could also be an opportunity to get the younger crowd hooked on surround and expand their interests into this more immersive world of ours.

Just keep doing what you're doing, we need more folks like you for our flavor of "The Charge of the Light (Surround) Brigade!" :)

oh, I see what you mean...
Indeed, it seems we're in a transitional stage - as always - but I think ambisonics and immersive audio will be in the future, often tied to video games and such. My pals played a show within the game Minecraft recently. I barely get it, also. :)
Thanks for listening!

Bandcamp Friday! Thanks for the orders from the across the pond overnight. Indeed, this is the day that bandcamp gives up their cut so that artists make more. Very cool. Eolian here: Division, by Eolian
May as well also mention that I'm in a new punk band and we've got a 7-song EP out today too. Not one that will get 5.1 though. Fast, loud, sorta like Scared of Chaka or Green Day maybe. The singer is Chris Fogal, who I played in Tauntaun with, and who recorded Ian Cooke's Antiquasauria album. This is our staying sane project. :)
https://discomfortcreature.bandcamp.com/releases

Bandcamp Friday! Thanks for the orders from the across the pond overnight. Indeed, this is the day that bandcamp gives up their cut so that artists make more. Very cool. Eolian here: Division, by Eolian
May as well also mention that I'm in a new punk band and we've got a 7-song EP out today too. Not one that will get 5.1 though. Fast, loud, sorta like Scared of Chaka or Green Day maybe. The singer is Chris Fogal, who I played in Tauntaun with, and who recorded Ian Cooke's Antiquasauria album. This is our staying sane project. :)
'Not one that will get 5.1 though'...
It has now Ian....just upmixed it via SpecWeb!!
Now blasting me lug holes from all around me.....getting all punked up...so I am. :QQlove

Ordered Division.

I'll give the punk EP a listen to later on today

Back