Equalization with Q8 Tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadchuck

I noticed computer program has tape equalization curve that can be added to file, of course one must
record without EQ . It would take circuit modification to disable tape curve.
Does anyone do that and do you like it better?

I noticed computer program has tape equalization curve that can be added to file, of course one must
record without EQ . It would take circuit modification to disable tape curve.
Does anyone do that and do you like it better?
Most likely what you are describing is playback equalisation. The playback amp would have to have to be flat, equalisation disabled. Likewise if you are talking about equalising via software before recording, again any pre-record equalisation would have to be disabled as you say. I don't see any advantage in doing either. Consider that a manufacturer might have tweaked his equalisation to better match the characteristics of his record and playback heads. Blindly following the NAB curve exactly might not give the optimum result.

This idea has been used for phonograph records as well, The advantage would be accurate RIAA response. That idea has supporters and detractors. If you have a good RIAA preamp with accurate equalisation IMHO it is best to just use that.

Most likely what you are describing is playback equalisation. The playback amp would have to have to be flat, equalisation disabled. Likewise if you are talking about equalising via software before recording, again any pre-record equalisation would have to be disabled as you say. I don't see any advantage in doing either. Consider that a manufacturer might have tweaked his equalisation to better match the characteristics of his record and playback heads. Blindly following the NAB curve exactly might not give the optimum result.

This idea has been used for phonograph records as well, The advantage would be accurate RIAA response. That idea has supporters and detractors. If you have a good RIAA preamp with accurate equalisation IMHO it is best to just use that.
I once had an 8 track mechanism for stereo and my very first quad tape was a Doobie Toulose Street. Hooking the head to an input the sound was poor, but I remember there was lots of treble that my later "Real" quad machines suppressed.
Partly the curve and each tape has its own character too.
I'm curious to try it and see if I can get more out of a Q8 .
Sadly I sold 1/2 my tapes in the early 2000's thinking I'd never need them again.
I made some money but I think I'd rather have the tapes instead...

Back