BluRay Music Video Poll Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood: Live from Madison Square Garden

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood - Live at Madison Square Garden

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 9:

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 8:

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 7:

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I have the BluRay version (and attended the concert :)). The mix is DTS 5.1 (no HD MA) and is the same that is available on the DVD version - strictly standard concert/audience/ambience in the rears). The mix was done, I believe by Steve Winwood's live sound engineer. That having been said, it was a great show and is well done on DVD/Blu-Ray. It is a straight ahead show with Clapton's Touring band and Stevie on Hammond and Guitar - great set list and if you're a fan, a no brainer IMO.

I have the Blu-Ray, and aside from it being a great concert and all, it's a bit of a let down on Blu. It really does not "look" HD, crystal clear like some other concert Blu-Rays (for example, Elton 60th Birthday), and the audio is not "HiRez" per se. You would think that they would have at least given up the DTS-HD MA for a program like this.

I would think that the DVD probably would look and sound almost the same as the Blu-Ray if you played them both on a machine like the Oppo. That being said, you can't complain about the material! :D

I have the Blu-Ray, and aside from it being a great concert and all, it's a bit of a let down on Blu. It really does not "look" HD, crystal clear like some other concert Blu-Rays (for example, Elton 60th Birthday), and the audio is not "HiRez" per se. You would think that they would have at least given up the DTS-HD MA for a program like this.

I would think that the DVD probably would look and sound almost the same as the Blu-Ray if you played them both on a machine like the Oppo. That being said, you can't complain about the material! :D

Jon - I completely agree and was quite disappointed when I finally got the BD version. Like the Steve Vai BD, if you're not going to go with a Hi Rez audio codec, why bother? DVD would have been good enough. I however, still enjoy the disc purely for the content - video and audio are good enough, but obviously not quite what it coulda' been.

NO! It's the PBS Great Performances series; same one they had for Cream, & Clapton's, guitar festival; no commercials; great HD picture, & fabulous 5.1 surround sound!(y):)

The trouble with PBS is that when you buy a disc from them, they soak you really bad on the price. I know a guy who bought a DuDu Fisher concert they had and paid damn near $100.00 (not blu- ray, either). Then if you join and get a membership, they soak you again. No thanks.

Finally watched this last night, after years of watching it linger on my Amazon wishlist. Sounds great and looks great. I've had the CD of this for years so am familiar with the performances on that level, but in Blu-ray it was a little more intense.

Last edited:
Actually this is not a bad concert performance.

The surround live on this is not bad at all for such a venue as MSG.

Rating 9 for performance, 7 for 5.1. That's a good 8 imho.

Clapton, by his own admission on the Cream disc a few years earlier from this, seemed to have relied too heavily on having a bigger band behind him and I think that reunion probably put more charge into him performance-wise and I think it pays off here well. It helps that he plays off Winwood so well and vice versa.

Back