Eric Clapton - Nothing But The Blues (Super Deluxe Edition w/Blu-Ray) June 24, 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Part documentary and part concert footage from his 1994 From The Cradle tour; this has been tied up all this time with some kind of legal issues. I've been waiting 27 years to see a proper version of this show.

I have an old VHS tape of this I recorded from the original broadcast on PBS from an over-air TV antenna back in 1995. This was before HDTV and needless to say the picture and sound are pretty awful. This has been upgraded to 4K and remixed. I'm not expecting anything but stereo or at most a front centric 5.1 with the typical ambience in the rears.

I eventually recorded my VHS onto a Blu-ray R disc, but crap in & crap out. So I'm excited to finally see this one. My favorite song here is the Howlin' Wolf song Forty Four; as Clapton has a real heavy distorted but dynamic sound from his rig that just sounds huge! But I also believe that original PBS show may have been only a partial showing of the entire film, so there will be more here to experience new.

Here's about the way I remember Forty Four looking:

and here's Have You Ever Loved A Woman from the new release:

Part documentary and part concert footage from his 1994 From The Cradle tour; this has been tied up all this time with some kind of legal issues. I've been waiting 27 years to see a proper version of this show.

I have an old VHS tape of this I recorded from the original broadcast on PBS from an over-air TV antenna back in 1995. This was before HDTV and needless to say the picture and sound are pretty awful. This has been upgraded to 4K and remixed. I'm not expecting anything but stereo or at most a front centric 5.1 with the typical ambience in the rears.

I eventually recorded my VHS onto a Blu-ray R disc, but crap in & crap out. So I'm excited to finally see this one. My favorite song here is the Howlin' Wolf song Forty Four; as Clapton has a real heavy distorted but dynamic sound from his rig that just sounds huge! But I also believe that original PBS show may have been only a partial showing of the entire film, so there will be more here to experience new.

Here's about the way I remember Forty Four looking:

and here's Have You Ever Loved A Woman from the new release:

I went to his concert at The Palace of Auburn Hills in 1994 and Jimmie Vaughan was the warm up band. It was a really good show as I remember but that was a long time ago. Worth getting the disc to refresh my memory, lol.

Do we know if the blu-ray has a surround mix? From the links above, I only see "remixed audio" with no indication if it's just stereo or not.
I'm still not totally sure, but I did just find this little tid bit (I'd assume for the Blu-ray)...

"Long-awaited 1995 documentary upgraded to 4k and features 20 live performances in hi-res stereo, 5.1 and Atmos mixes"

https://www.ericclapton.com/nothingbuttheblues

I ordered the Blu-Ray but if it's been remastered to 4K, where's the actual 4K disc like his last release.

Guy, as it was recorded in 1994, probably just a 1080p 4K remastering of the original video. Native UHD4K would just be overkill since the original video elements don't warrant it.

OTOH, Clapton's recent THE GIRL IN THE BALCONY was shot in 4K video and thus warranted a Native UHD4K release [and does look stunning].

Last edited:
Guy, as it was recorded in 1994, probably just a 1080p 4K remastering of the original video. Native UHD4K would just be overkill since the original video elements don't warrant it.

OTOH, Clapton's recent THE GIRL IN THE BALCONY was shot in 4K video and thus warranted a Native UHD4K release [and does look stunning].
I wonder what type of film was actually used, as The Last Waltz which was almost 20 years prior got quite an uptake in video quality in 4K.

I wonder what type of film was actually used, as The Last Waltz which was almost 20 years prior got quite an uptake in video quality in 4K.

Originally, the Band wanted the Last Waltz filmed in 16mm [like Woodstock] but when Martin Scorsese got involved, he insisted on shooting it in 35mm. The Clapton 1994 concert was probably shot in 480p video or perhaps 720p.....dunno!

It was shot on 16mm film

Back