Eric Clapton Slowhand LP/3CD/DVD-V Deluxe Reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hey all. Found this;

http://www.musictap.net/2012/09/30/...nd-to-get-a-35th-anniversary-edition-release/

"And so, on November 19, Polydor Records will issue a 35th Anniversary Edition for Slowhand. The 35th Anniversary set will be offered in four versions that include LP, a 2CD Deluxe Edition, a 3CD/DVD/LP Super Deluxe Edition, and a single CD set.
The album will feature remastered tracks. Other details that are expected too be with the set have not been released. I’ll be sure to catch up this article with any fill-in info that is received concerning the 35th Anniversary Edition of Slowhand."

So will the DVD in the Super Deluxe contain a surround mix, and will it be the same one as the 2004 SACD release or will it be like the Layla box set with a different surround mix (by Elliot Schneiner)?

All I hope is that it is not the same dull, dreary master as on the SACD.
This used to be one of my favourite albums for all sorts of reasons, and I was seriously disappointed with the SACD.
Sounds terrible.
Will almost certainly be buying this one too....I never seem to learn!!

All I hope is that it is not the same dull, dreary master as on the SACD.
This used to be one of my favourite albums for all sorts of reasons, and I was seriously disappointed with the SACD.
Sounds terrible.
Will almost certainly be buying this one too....I never seem to learn!!

I'll only buy it if it's a new mix. I already have the SACD so I don't need the same awful mix in a lower quality format (assuming it's DVD-V and not DVD-A) cause I'm already going broke thanks to the LTIA boxset! :)

I'd be (very pleasantly!) surprised if there were an Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of this one (a la "Layla.." where Climie/Guzauski & ES both had their stabs at remixing, in the absence of original producer Tom Dowd) as Slowhand was already remixed into surround for the SACD by the albums' original producer, Glyn Johns, so it just seems a bit unlikely, to me anyway..

so that leads to the question of what video material UMG could put on the DVD in the Super Deluxe set, if they don't simply rehash the old SACD Surround mix..?

the lack of extras (there are 4 bonuses on the newly created 2012 remastered CD) leads me to suspect that the DVD will just be a lossy port of the SACD..

..otherwise why go back to the multitrack masters to redo it all for the CD, complete with the extra tracks and not remix them into 5.1 too for the new DVD..?!?

all will be revealed in just over a month (probably before, mercifully) but I'm doubtful it'll be anything but the old SACD 5.1 in inferior quality.

quite why anyone would bother to get this set just for the DVD when the SACD with the same mix is still so cheap and easy to get.. unless they want surround but don't have SACD capability (which I feel is unlikely).. I do not know.

I guess I will wait for reports of the mix. The SACD is underwheming, and if they use that same mix in "low-rez", then a non-purchase is a no brainer for me.

Been searching for a bit on here and maybe I'm just missing it, but can't find an answer on whether the DVD version had a different mix than the SACD? Does anyone know?

Forgive me if this is a duplicate!

Back