Eric Clapton - Unplugged Deluxe 2CD+DVD coming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys!

Just spotted this news item on Super Deluxe Edition: there's a re-release of Clapton's "Unplugged" coming.

I must say, it sounds really sweet!

They're remastering the original album (which did sound amazing to begin with), there'll be outtakes and you get the broadcast on DVD plus a 14-track rehearsal including the songs "Circus" and "My Father's Eyes". The DVD will be fully restored.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on the original DVD was basically stereo. I wonder if they're remastering and remixing it, or if it's just the original sound track.

This could be interesting! Are you buying? I just pre-ordered.

heya! thanks for the heads up :) wonder why no blu-ray? is the original video material only 480/standard def.? I don't remember it ever looking much good. hate to be a party pooper but I doubt they'll revisit the 5.1 mix.. but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Not sure if it is going to be a new mix, but Rhino confirmed there would be a DTS surround track.

Not sure if it is going to be a new mix, but Rhino confirmed there would be a DTS surround track.

which disc -the dvd video? I'd love a 5.1 surround audio only. I have a 5.1 download which is awesome

This reissue is really baffling. I was so excited to see it was coming and what a disappointment.

Firstly, the remix is just OK -- some things were moved to the centre speaker that were much better where they were in the original mix. And then there's the quality... You can choose stereo or DTS, and quality is also just OK.

But most disappointing is that they didn't include the outtakes on the DVD, it's still the same sequence that it was before. There are at least four songs not included that Clapton performed, and they are available on the outtakes CD, but not on the DVD in surround sound. Instead, they included the rehearsal footage in (bad) stereo.

Thumbs down :(

Yeah this could have been better, but I like it as an update over the original CD I have at home. I think the DTS sounds just fine and yeah, it's a new mix. Confirmed in the booklet. Not much going on in the rears except ambience and audience, but I like the spread over the fronts and it's still a small improvement over the CD.

I took a quick listen to the rehearsals this morning, and I'm pretty sure like the rehearsals on Nirvana's Unplugged DVD, I won't ever listen to them again.

Listening to the stereo version right now, and I look forward to the outtakes on CD 2!

Overall, I'd say it's not all it could have been, but for fans of the album, it's a good one to snatch up.

Yeah this could have been better, but I like it as an update over the original CD I have at home. I think the DTS sounds just fine and yeah, it's a new mix. Confirmed in the booklet. Not much going on in the rears except ambience and audience, but I like the spread over the fronts and it's still a small improvement over the CD.

Yeah, it's nice. I wasn't comparing it to the CD, I was comparing to the original DVD released in 1997. That mix was better for me, even though it was only available in dolby digital.

That's why this is twice as baffling -- it's not the first DVD release or surround mix.

Eric Clapton wows audience with even slower :yikes version of Layla: http://www.theonion.com/articles/eric-clapton-wows-audience-with-even-slower-versio,34325/
Fortunately, they did Layla full speed, fully plugged in last night:
FB_IMG_1568293347424.jpg

And special guest Carlos Santana helped close the show!

Btw, there are some elements of this Unplugged reissue mix that are dominant in the surrounds, even if they aren't super discretely back there. Back up singers and organ are just two examples.

Fortunately, they did Layla full speed, fully plugged in last night:
View attachment 43165
And special guest Carlos Santana helped close the show!

Btw, there are some elements of this Unplugged reissue mix that are dominant in the surrounds, even if they aren't super discretely back there. Back up singers and organ are just two examples.
Does it say who mixed this Baggy?

Back