Esoteric Salutes The Moody Blues’ Ray Thomas with Anthology, Surround Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
As a founding member of The Moody Blues, Ray Thomas (1941-2018) played the haunting flute solo on the band’s 1967 hit “Nights in White Satin.” He also was responsible for writing many of the Moodies’ most beloved songs including “Twilight Time,” “And the Tide Rushes In,” and “Legend of a Mind.” A multi-instrumentalist and singer, Thomas recorded two solo albums for the group’s Threshold Records label: 1975’s From Mighty Oaks and 1976’s Hopes, Wishes, and Dreams. This fall, Cherry Red’s Esoteric Recordings imprint has compiled the best of Thomas’ solo recordings, with a dash of the Moody Blues and a couple of rare tracks, on Words and Music. This compendium also includes a DVD with the 5.1 surround mix of From Mighty Oaks, out of print for almost a decade.

Play It Again: Esoteric Salutes The Moody Blues' Ray Thomas with Anthology, Surround Mix - The Second Disc

I wish they had included a clean copy of his unreleased song from “The Present” sessions called Burning Gas, Smoking Grass. From what I have read about the song the band didn’t want to record it because they were likely trying to get away from the whole being associated with drugs thing. You can even see during he Hall of Fame inductions when Ann Wilson mention “tripping with the band” that John Lodge kind of looked away.

The song was a rocker and would had spiced up the boring album known as The Present. Which I used to think was great but I threw away a good copy recently as I never wanted to hear it again. Evidently the band is of the same mind as me on that one.

Let's have a surround mix of 'Long Distance Voyager' as well thanks. I love Ray but how some albums get 5.1 over others astounds me sometimes.

I wish they had included a clean copy of his unreleased song from “The Present” sessions called Burning Gas, Smoking Grass. From what I have read about the song the band didn’t want to record it because they were likely trying to get away from the whole being associated with drugs thing. You can even see during he Hall of Fame inductions when Ann Wilson mention “tripping with the band” that John Lodge kind of looked away.

The song was a rocker and would had spiced up the boring album known as The Present. Which I used to think was great but I threw away a good copy recently as I never wanted to hear it again. Evidently the band is of the same mind as me on that one.
Sorry is an absolute belter. It's worth getting the Sitting At The Wheel single release for the b-side

Back