• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

Last edited:

VACamper

I have this disc, and it is very good. The music is very well-crafted and listenable "New Flamenco" style guitar, and a pleasing and fairly aggressive surround mix that puts you in the middle of the stage. I gave it an 8, but it could be a 9.

However, this is a full-blown high-resolution DVD-Audio release, not a low resolution DTS Disc. I think it should be in the Hi-Rez music poll forum rather than here.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
VACamper said:
However, this is a full-blown high-resolution DVD-Audio release, not a low resolution DTS Disc. I think it should be in the Hi-Rez music poll forum rather than here.
Actually, it IS a DTS disk. I have it, and it is very good. Excellent surround mix, and very nice sound quality for a lossy format. Mike.

Charley

I have this release also, and while it is released on the DTS label, it is in true, DVD-A multi-channel format. Recommended - I give it an 8.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have this release also, and while it is released on the DTS label, it is in true, DVD-A multi-channel format. Recommended - I give it an 8.
It is indeed a full-blown DVD-A here.
This guy can really play, and the only thing that stops me giving this a 9 or a 10 is that the mix actually sounds faked in places - check out track 7 for certain, maybe track 6 as well. Turn off the front 3, and you have a heavy reverbed wash in Ls/Rs.
This is a minor niggle, and I could also be wrong.
The record sounds wonderful and he has a lot of serious soul in his fingers, making that acoustic come alive.

HIGHLY recommended, discrete or unwrap.

Lute

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9. Nice, immersive surround mix. Some of it is reverb, but there is plenty going on in the surrounds. Miking is on the close side with good fidelity. The music is polished and quite soothing. One might say it's "Smooth Flamenco". Some of the percussion and other instruments add a mystical Middle-Eastern & Indian flavor. Esteban's Flamenco guitar playing is excellent.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9. Nice, immersive surround mix. Some of it is reverb, but there is plenty going on in the surrounds. Miking is on the close side close with good fidelity. The music is polished and quite soothing. One might say it's "Smooth Flamenco". Some of the percussion and other instruments add a mystical Middle-Eastern & Indian flavor. Esteban's Flamenco guitar playing is excellent.
haha WOW! A thread from the past...good one Lute. I don't have this disc, but I know Esteban is an excellent musician....hmmmm. Might have to see if I can locate a copy...

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well, that didn't take long. Found a used copy on Amazon for $7.99 shipped. :)

Lute

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That's about what I paid for it. I love finding these little surround treasures. I went to my local music shop to pick up some of AF's new SACDs and came across a nice display of DVD-As. I picked up 6. I would have gotten more but I had just scooped up 12 classical SACDs in a different shop.

I think you'll like Esteban. It may not be groundbreaking music, but it's a good disc to kick back to and crack open a brew. :brew

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
That's about what I paid for it. I love finding these little surround treasures. I went to my local music shop to pick up some of AF's new SACDs and came across a nice display of DVD-As. I picked up 6. I would have gotten more but I had just scooped up 12 classical SACDs in a different shop.

I think you'll like Esteban. It may not be groundbreaking music, but it's a good disc to kick back to and crack open a brew. :brew
I tend to place more and more value on kick-back music as time goes on.

Cibola

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9.
Thanks for the recent posts on this one, Lute and all. I've been tempted to buy it more than once but couldn't get a good sense of the quality. It still doesn't show up in the Hi-Rez DVD-A Surround Poll unfortunately. It also seems the price can spike, usually when I'm looking to buy.:violin