Eurorack Quad Setup and Shakmat Aeolus Demo (Quadraphonic Quark Encoded)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...12-e-w-mag-scheiber-matrix-quad-system.30082/
The Scheiber matrix is QS matrix like, but without 90 degree phase shifts, it should be easier to implement in software (or with a mixing board and some phase reversals) than QS.

I haven't worked thru the math of Scheiber encode/QS decode, but it seems like it would be almost indistinguishable from QS encode/decode.

As with QS, the Scheiber matrix could also be decoded with Dolby Pro-Logic decoder(s) and the simple DynaQuad speaker matrix.

Kirk Bayne

A QS decode of the Scheiber encode should have only very minor (probably inaudible) differences:

- The phases of the back channels are 90 deg different with QS than they are with Scheiber.

- The back channels are in phase with each other in QS. They are in opposite phase with Scheiber decode.

The only difference between the Scheiber decode and the EV-4 decode is the parameter values.

https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/uq-1a.htm
The above can decode Scheiber, QS, EV-4, Dynaquad, and Dolby Surround.

Here are some other ideas:

https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/surrproj.htm

Last edited:
The Aeolus Seeds did not perform as I wanted it to. Seeing 4 inputs and 4 outputs and options for speaker movement etc. I was expecting it to route 4 channels at once, but no. It can do one channel, or two, so it has some value as a track effect, which I will use in remixing. Imagine something like discrete quad set free from channel assignments, like Mary Poppins magic....or something like that. I would have to do the treatment on each track which creates 4 new tracks, then re-render the resulting 16 tracks back to quad. If you know of any software effects that do this let me know. Going into eurorack modular is not an inexpensive endeavor for a hobbyist.

The Aeolus Seeds did not perform as I wanted it to. Seeing 4 inputs and 4 outputs and options for speaker movement etc. I was expecting it to route 4 channels at once, but no. It can do one channel, or two, so it has some value as a track effect, which I will use in remixing. Imagine something like discrete quad set free from channel assignments, like Mary Poppins magic....or something like that. I would have to do the treatment on each track which creates 4 new tracks, then re-render the resulting 16 tracks back to quad. If you know of any software effects that do this let me know. Going into eurorack modular is not an inexpensive endeavor for a hobbyist.
Interesting, so it is not a true 4 channel quad control module?

still testing
Interesting, so it is not a true 4 channel quad control module?
still testing... try this on

https://we.tl/t-GYMIeBNCGN
it's one half of a stereo signal on input 1, in mode 1, configuration 1, which outputs on 4 channels in a circular motion, if correctly cabled. 4 file types in this link; flac, wma, ac3, wav; track about 6 minutes long.

Seems like you're getting the hang of it now that you've had a chance to experiment a bit.

Please be assured that it can modulate a quadrophonic source in the same way it does mono or stereo.
I tried it the other night with the Guess Who Wheatfield Soul & Canned Wheat SACD.

As you've discovered, with the depth at minimum, there's no effect, but as it's increased you get a quadrophonic tremolo effect.
By manipulating the both time & depth in real time it became a very trippy on-the-fly "remix" of this classic 60s material.
When I added delay or phasing to the rears, it got even better.

Like any effect, less is more.
I found if I kept the depth low mostly, then increasing it during a chorus, solo, etc. added dynamics.

Same with the time or "speed" control.
Much like a classic Hammond organ player switching speeds on a Leslie.

Enjoy your new gadget.
Much of the fun of Eurorack modules is the "happy accidents" that emerge from just screwing around with them.

Enjoy your new gadget.
Much of the fun of Eurorack modules is the "happy accidents" that emerge from just screwing around with them.
Thnaks and I agree, less is more. Contrast is good too. I found the Time Button and did some slow panning quad with some Patrick Shiroishi music. So in concluding my shakedown cruise of the Aeolus Seeds modular, I am pleased with the results, where initially I was meh. Thanks again Franck Martin for your contribution to my experience!

Last edited:
Thnaks and I agree, less is more. Contrast is good too. I found the Time Button and did some slow panning quad with some Patrick Shiroishi music. So in concluding my shakedown cruise of the Aeolus Seeds modular, I am pleased with the results, where initially I was meh. Thanks again Franck Martin for your contribution to my experience!
Many Thanks and my pleasure.

The Seeds has 4 input because it is basically a 4 VCA module, with some fancy controls. So in a non quad system, you can have 4 different inputs and then use the module to have a dynamic mix sent to the output sum.
In a quad setup the first input is internally duplicated to all four inputs and the four VCAs control individually each output.

I'm glad you like this module, I have added to my rack an intellijel planar 2, so I have some interesting quad controls.

Back