HiRez Poll Everclear - SO MUCH FOR THE AFTERGLOW [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Everclear - SO MUCH FOR THE AFTERGLOW

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Everclear Front.jpgEverclear Back.jpg

Last edited:
I really didn't expect to enjoy this one much, but I ended up really liking it! Still, it's not something I can listen to very often. All-in-all a very pleasant offering. I'll give it an 8.

I bought this album back in 1997 on blue vinyl and still listen to it regularly. I saw the DTS disc sitting in the store today so I couldn't help myself.

This is how a 6.1 mix should sound! I own two 6.1 DTS discs, this and Medeski, Martin and Wood's "Uninvisible". The MMW disc has a great surround mix, but the 6.1 mix doesn't make real good use of the back center speaker. Mainly it's just the bass line throughout the entire album.

This Everclear disc on the other hand, there's lots of stuff going on back there in the rear center! I have not listened to the 5.1 DVD-Audio mix, but I'm sure it's fantastic because the 6.1 DTS ES mix can't be beat. A hearty 10!

I picked this up used at the FYE in Springfield, MO. Some used CD's were 7.99 each or 3 for 20.00. I could only find 2 used DVD-A's I wanted mixed in with all of the new and used CD's. I actually couldn't say I wanted this one, just that I didn't know I didn't want it since I have never knowingly heard even one song by Everclear. A very agressive surround mix of sort of grungy punky rock. I like the music, the fidelity is first rate, and I consider this a very lucky blind buy. I have to give it a 9.

Chris

I got this one recently after hearing a 12" mix of their single "Ends" and loving what I heard.
This is great stuff - the "engine room" really drives this one along superbly.
The drums are stripped back to essentials, and lock down with the bass beautifully.
Top Marks for mixer Chuck Ainley as well - who is normally more at home doing C&W than this type of stuff.
This one is now a firm favourite here.

I like this one too! I had no idea what it would sound like, but my nephew said it was a good album - and he was right! :D

Well, not too expensive considering the licensing deal on this one is now expired - which means that title is going out of print.
My copy will remain with me though.

I give this an 8 very conservatively. Probably really deserves a 9, but I hate giving those out like candy. I am an Everclear fan. I would really like to see a release of Sparkle and Fade in surround but that is unlikely to ever happen especially as Everclear is mostly a forgotten relic of the post-grunge alternative days now. But THANK GOD that this is one of the few 90s alternative gems to make it to surround and thankfully they did it quite well.

Wow, another title I didn't know about....and within seconds of reading this new post, I found a sealed copy from Discogs for US $20!!
Hell yeah!

:)

Wow, another title I didn't know about....and within seconds of reading this new post, I found a sealed copy from Discogs for US $20!!
Hell yeah!

:)

Nice score! I lucked into one on ebay for under $15 shipped!

Godd**m it!
Here's another disc I just had to buy........
I had forgotten about this DVDA.

I love Sparkle and Fade and had put several songs from it on a tape mix I made and still have somewhere.

Thank you Q8 for reviving this thread and QQ for helping me to spend more money..... just snagged a new one (the DVDA) off amazon for close to $15...

Oh no, I caused a run on this album ;)

Yah add me to the "oh crap, ANOTHER title I didn't know about" even tho' I started buying DVD-A discs in 2004; thankfully it's still very affordable everywhere I look, even CDN$21 on Amazon.

:banana:

Snap! Just ordered one from amazon.com, just under £18 delivered to the UK.

Yah add me to the "oh crap, ANOTHER title I didn't know about" even tho' I started buying DVD-A discs in 2004; thankfully it's still very affordable everywhere I look, even CDN$21 on Amazon.

:banana:

I got a copy for under $10 at a used music store when I was on vacation a few years ago. The case was pretty wrecked. Definitely ripped it, maybe spun it once, then filed it away. Perhaps it's time to revisit...

Last edited:
I was making a unrelated purchase on eBay and noticed a sealed copy of this album for $14 shipped. I snuck it on my order to avoid my wifes ever watchful eye on my 'CD' purchases.

I wasn't expecting much, but after a +1 increase on the side and rear surrounds, I'm real pleased with both the music and mix. I'm torn between a 7 and 8. A few more listens before voting...

Back