"Everything You Always Wanted To Hear On the Moog*"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug G.

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
First, it is an incredible record.

Second, it's hard to believe there was no purposeful encoding going on. It seems there is just too much going on for it all to be accidental.

Doug

First, it is an incredible record.

Second, it's hard to believe there was no purposeful encoding going on. It seems there is just too much going on for it all to be accidental.

Doug
You're so right - it's an extraordinary surround experience via the SMv2 or the synthesizer mode of QRX decoder.

Q: Has this ever seen an official cd issue?

Last edited:
Ahh, that's funny! I'm sure I've paused on that LP somewhere before, scrutinizing whether is was quad or not (looking for that SQ logo somewhere, or QAL and QBL side numbering), or might have a quad version (seemed like it should), and leaving it because I determined it wasn't quad.

It does have Kazdin credited, and I recall other members having mentioned that he was responsible for many a good classical quad for Columbia. It could be an unlabeled SQ album. In 1976 Angel admitted a sly entry into unlabeled quads sometime in 1974. Also in '76 Seraphim launched their quad offerings the same way Angel was already doing. And in '76 Columbia Masterworks press released their plan to go low-key single inventory along the lines of Angel as well (all of this info from Billboard articles I've come across). Although your album is from '72, it could still very well be an unlabeled early quad, or at least Kazdin exploring the territory. He seemed to be a proponent of creative mixing: check out this other Kazdin album I saw once (sorry it's a bit blurry). Even as only stereo, he was promoting distinct sound placement and identification. I passed it up because it was too rough, but put it in the memory banks for later.

20190601_095647.jpg

Now I'll have to keep my eyes open based on your recommendation Doug!

There isn't any clue on the record, itself, either, that it is quad. No "Q's" or anything.

It sounds great in SQ, too.

Doug

There isn't any clue on the record, itself, either, that it is quad. No "Q's" or anything.

Doug
Yeah, I know, not a single "Q" anywhere in sight! I think I thumbed through my printed version of Mark Anderson's discography for many minutes, and even checked the latest one online, before I was "satisfied" about my conclusion. Well, anyway a disc I'll keep in mind going forward.

Back