Extracting music from multi-channel discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in 2021 is it now possible to rip a 5.1 SACD disc to multi-channel on a newer MAC desktop computer? My dvd rom on the MAC plays Blu-ray fine. My issue is the songs show up fine on the MAC (can be scrolled, clicked on etc) but when I try recommended ripping software like DBpoweramp and DVD Extractor they will not highlight or load up to do any processing. A friend said the disc probably has to be ripped as an ISO image on MAC first? How would I do this? thanks
To the best of my knowledge, the issue is that the file format for the SACD is proprietary. OSX simply does not have a native codec for it. Nor does any other computer OS to my knowledge. Thus the stand alone hardware players are used to rip. Perhaps at this point in the history and obsolescence (or what should be obsolescence by now) someone has something on github? I bet not or it would be discussed around here! It's not a hardware issue like needing a newer dvd or bluray drive in the machine. (Which can always be upgraded on older machines.) It's the proprietary file format.

There. That's the perfect setup (being wrong on the internet) for someone to come along and correct and tell us all how to rip SACDs natively in OSX or Linux. :D

It's a software issue and I don't mean the OS. I mean the Mac often doesn't get small 3rd party utilities for extraction, etc. Thank goodness MakeMKV is available for it. I have a firmware modified LG BD drive that can even dump 4K discs and it works fine on the Mac, but SACD is another matter.

Try this:

attensch.gif

SACD has encryption on it that only drives for audio players can read. The decryption key is held in Pit Signal Processing (PSP) and it is encoded as extra information in the *width* of some of the pits. Computer DVD drives do not have the hardware necessary to read this key, and without the key there is no way to decrypt the audio data. Hence the way to rip SACDs is running software on devices designed to play SACDs, like the early PS3s or some universal players with the relevant MediaTek chips.

Apart from the above an SACD at the physical layer is identical to a DVD. Which is why you can blow your own SACD-R discs to DVD writables, though as we know all too well some players refuse to read them.

So in 2021 is it now possible to rip a 5.1 SACD disc to multi-channel on a newer MAC desktop computer? My dvd rom on the MAC plays Blu-ray fine. My issue is the songs show up fine on the MAC (can be scrolled, clicked on etc) but when I try recommended ripping software like DBpoweramp and DVD Extractor they will not highlight or load up to do any processing. A friend said the disc probably has to be ripped as an ISO image on MAC first? How would I do this? thanks
You can’t rip an SACD with a mac or pc. And probably never will as AFAIK there are no SACD capable drives for either.

Long story, short...you need to have a SACD drive which is capable of being “hacked“ to rip the SACD iso files. Pretty much that is limited to certain PS3, Oppo, Sony, etc models. Those iso files then need to be converted - on Mac or PC - to dsf or dff files (or DoP or PCM/FLAC) so they can be played back through a capable DAC.

You can’t rip an SACD with a mac or pc. And probably never will as AFAIK there are no SACD capable drives for either.

Long story, short...you need to have a SACD drive which is capable of being “hacked“ to rip the SACD iso files. Pretty much that is limited to certain PS3, Oppo, Sony, etc models. Those iso files then need to be converted - on Mac or PC - to dsf or dff files (or DoP or PCM/FLAC) so they can be played back through a capable DAC.
We can actually rip SACDs without encryption (some early SACDs, they still have pit modulation) on PC with HD-DVD drives and some IDE DVD Drives.

We can actually rip SACDs without encryption (some early SACDs, they still have pit modulation) on PC with HD-DVD drives and some IDE DVD Drives.
Hmmm, I’d never heard of any discs without encryption. They must have been very early and uncommon? Were these like 1983-ish domestic Made In Japan discs?

My MacBook Air has no DVD drive built in and my Superdrive will not read Blu-Ray. Any alternatives solutions for me to be able to rip 5.1 audio from Blu-Ray?

My MacBook Air has no DVD drive built in and my Superdrive will not read Blu-Ray. Any alternatives solutions for me to be able to rip 5.1 audio from Blu-Ray?
An external BD drive. I think they’re in the $50-$100 range these days.

You’ll also need the appropriate software to de-encypt and rip the audio from the BDs. That’s pretty much free.

Hmmm, I’d never heard of any discs without encryption. They must have been very early and uncommon? Were these like 1983-ish domestic Made In Japan discs?
Ooops, I braincamped and was thinking of early CDs. But I’m guessing those are very early SACDs as well. I wonder if they even truly meet scarlet book specs?

Not that it would much matter...but I wonder if you authored an SACD in Phillips SuperAuthor, and burned to a DVD if it would be readable by a pc optical drive. I have looked at the iso structure created with SuperAuthor with one of the iso utilities, can't remember which offhand.
I have 3 "universal" players that will play them as SACD-R, same as the ones ripped on PS3 players with early firmware.

Not that it would much matter...but I wonder if you authored an SACD in Phillips SuperAuthor, and burned to a DVD if it would be readable by a pc optical drive. I have looked at the iso structure created with SuperAuthor with one of the iso utilities, can't remember which offhand.
I have 3 "universal" players that will play them as SACD-R, same as the ones ripped on PS3 players with early firmware.
David Elias sent me a Blu-ray with DSD files that plays normally on my Oppo 203 (I think its authored as an .iso but seen as a data disc though) so I imagine it might be possible.

David Elias sent me a Blu-ray with DSD files that plays normally on my Oppo 203 (I think its authored as an .iso but seen as a data disc though) so I imagine it might be possible.

Totally different comparison. Firstly the playback is a player not a pc, and second, dsd files isn't the same as a SACD file structure. DSD files on a blu-ray disc is a simple data disc and the Oppo's are designed to play that format, unlike a PC playing a SACD, which has never been supported.

If I remember correctly, a SACD authored with Phillips SuperAuthor is able to be copied on a PC, but if you try to load the file structure, it won't recognize it. The next time I connect a drive to my PC, I will test it...

Ok a SuperAuthor iso I created, I just burned to DVD5. I attempted to open the disc with Foobar using the "Open Audio CD" option in the menu. Didnt work but an explorer window opened showing the disc structure. Then I selected the TOC and Foobar listed all the files (put them in queue) then I pressed play and it's playing now. Incidentally it's The Outlaws-Lady in Waiting from the Quad CD-4.
..and it sounds pretty good!
SuperAuthor disc.JPG

Last edited:
Apologies - just looking for quick troubleshoot answer for Sonora process with my OPPO BDP-103.

I'm trying to rip an SACD disc that I missed - months ago when I did all my SACDs. Same player, same USB stick into same front USB port. IP address displayed in Sonora panel matches what Oppo says it is. The player says USB IN and opens the drawer as expected. I press Close and the display says SACD then sits at 1 00:00:00. I click execute in Sonora panel. The Sonora panel displays no error, doesn't time out. just sits after I click Execute. All Sonora settings all appear to be the same. There was another USB cable plugged in the back for an HDD; removed that in case it was causing USB port confusion; still nothing. Baffled.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Apologies - just looking for quick troubleshoot answer for Sonora process with my OPPO BDP-103.

I'm trying to rip an SACD disc that I missed - months ago when I did all my SACDs. Same player, same USB stick into same front USB port. IP address displayed in Sonora panel matches what Oppo says it is. The player says USB IN and opens the drawer as expected. I press Close and the display says SACD then sits at 1 00:00:00. I click execute in Sonora panel. The Sonora panel displays no error, doesn't time out. just sits after I click Execute. All Sonora settings all appear to be the same. There was another USB cable plugged in the back for an HDD; removed that in case it was causing USB port confusion; still nothing. Baffled.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
File or folder names too long?
IDK Tim, it's been a while since I ripped any SACD's on my BDP-103 and I don't recall any problems.

Didn't check if this thread is still active, but you might could get some help on
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/
There is, or was, on GitHub a section or whatever it's nomenclature, called sacd-ripper or similar.

All I got, sorry.

Back