HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - THE NIGHTFLY [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Donald Fagen - THE NIGHTFLY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
One of my all-time favorite albums,i have played this well over 1,000 times
on lp,cd,cassette and dvd-audio.

I'll be watching the Steely Dan tomorrow night live under the stars for about the ninth time. Too bad they probably won't play anything from this.

New Frontier was played at the Greek recently. Don't be surprised if they play it again.

George

And, by God, they did!

Great show under the stars.
Becker: "You're such a bitchin' audience!"

Also did several tunes I've never heard them do live:
Parker's Band
Royal Scam (yesss!)

Ended with an instrumental outtro of "Last Tango in Paris" (!), and some 60's soul number under the bandmember intros. Backup singers were three black chicks with wild 70's fro's -- hot!

Aja was stellar.

I'm one of the 50 QQ-ers who gave this a "10"!

Even though I rated it a good while back, I still see this as one of the very best DVDAs I've encountered, the music and musicianship are sublime, the mix and fidelity are so wonderful, I'd give it a "20" out of 10 if I could.

I'm never going to open my sealed DualDisc of it but my DVDA of it must be nearly worn out, I've played it so much over the years!

A masterpiece, in every way possible.

10. That's all? This is a wonderful album. In '82, I managed a high end store and often used the LP to demo. I've owned the LP, CD, DVD-A and MVI from the Nightfly Trilogy box. Had never seen it on Dual Disc anywhere in Chicago. I've seen Steely Dan and Fagen live several times. They've done Green Flower st nearly every time. This is his best solo album.

...an independent station, WJAZ with jazz and conversation...

Just found out that I didn't vote for this already.
So, here goes: Music 10, Sound 10, Surround Mix 10
For me, over all a 10!

Somewhat confused; I have the DVD/A, that's been available for years. One of my faves, EVER!
Maxine, New Frontier; amazing demo DVD/A recordings, to WOW, even the most unimpressed deaf surround doubters
That said; is there any clear differences, on this Japanese version?

Somewhat confused; I have the DVD/A, that's been available for years. One of my faves, EVER!
Maxine, New Frontier; amazing demo DVD/A recordings, to WOW, even the most unimpressed deaf surround doubters
That said; is there any clear differences, on this Japanese version?

The Multichannel SACD of The Nightfly features the same 5.1 mix as the original DVD-A. It's a great opportunity for surround sound fans who didn't get the DVD-A to own the album in 5.1.
But I'm guessing that the SACD will also be a limited edition pressing that will go out of print soon. So best to grab it now for those that are interested !

Where did you guys get this version of The Nightfly? Is it sold SOMEWHERE else than eBay?

Thanks, I'll check it out. This is the first album I listened to. I was about 5 when my dad gave me the CD to listen to, and he made sure I listen with the best headphones, and the WHOLE album. I've been an audiophile (and Steely Dan / Don Fagen fan) ever since. To hear this in surround is probably mind-blowing as well.

Wow, Thats only $10 more and contains so much cool stuff. I'm getting that definitely.

While on the Steely Dan subject, what is the OBI box set released in Japan (only?). It seems really cool, but some have Gaucho in it and some don't, some have royal scam as the cover, some aja, some gaucho, etc. Care to explain? :)

Wow, Thats only $10 more and contains so much cool stuff. I'm getting that definitely.

While on the Steely Dan subject, what is the OBI box set released in Japan (only?). It seems really cool, but some have Gaucho in it and some don't, some have royal scam as the cover, some aja, some gaucho, etc. Care to explain? :)
Just be aware that the 5.1 of the MVI box set is not SACD or DVD-A; meaning it is not high-rez.

Hmmm, do you think that will be much of a difference? Do you mean it's just Dolby Digital on a DVD-Video disc?

Hmmm, do you think that will be much of a difference? Do you mean it's just Dolby Digital on a DVD-Video disc?

the MVI Nightfly Trilogy box includes three CD's & 3 DVD-Video discs with DTS & DD stream of 5.1 remixes of Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Morph the Cat.

oh and the MVI box has an extra disc (CD) of rare/unreleased material.

for Lossy, the surround on all 3 sounds nice enough..

but the DVDA's are in a different league, they sound so wonderful.

unless you need the extra rare disc, or are on aright budget (or are an anally-retentive collector, like me, who has to have everything!) then you'd be better off saving up and playing the waiting game to get the OOP DVDA's one by one. they're well worth it.

Yeah, I'm that kind too, but I'm not a HUGE fan of Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat. In other words, they're not my favorite. DON'T GET ME WRONG. They are still amazing albums, but my favorite is The Nightfly. So I think I would get the MVI box set, then (suffer :) ) and listen to the "compressed" 5.1 mix of the albums. Then, save up for the DVD-A of the Nightfly and be amazed at that as well. Or I get them in the reverse order. Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize the MVI wasn't Hi-rez.

Yeah, I'm that kind too, but I'm not a HUGE fan of Kamakiriad and Morph the Cat. In other words, they're not my favorite. DON'T GET ME WRONG. They are still amazing albums, but my favorite is The Nightfly. So I think I would get the MVI box set, then (suffer :) ) and listen to the "compressed" 5.1 mix of the albums. Then, save up for the DVD-A of the Nightfly and be amazed at that as well. Or I get them in the reverse order. Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize the MVI wasn't Hi-rez.

the mixes (and I suspect the fidelity of the recordings has a lot to do with it) of the originals is so good, they still sound nice in DTS.

i wonder if Warner had high hopes for MVI when they conceived it and that it would be their next big thing..!?

it never took off but did it have a fighting chance anyway!?

to my mind it was neither one thing nor another, nor did it appear to have a specific target audience.. all that it seemingly did, it didn't do too badly but then not at top quality either, both the surround and the mp3 files for your computer were lossy/low res, so thats the audiophiles out of the picture..

i think Warner released this and a Chicago MVI set (with no 5.1 on it) and then quickly/quietly dumped the format.

Back