HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - THE NIGHTFLY [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Donald Fagen - THE NIGHTFLY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
Released 35 years ago today (October 1, 1982). If I could, I might deduct a couple tenths of a point for the fact that the (comparatively) low-res source means it's a little harsh on middle-aged ears at high volumes. But it's such a glorious mix, and not a dud track on the album. The title track is my least fave, but the joy of "The Goodbye Look" and "Walk Between the Raindrops" lingers for hours...

In the latest post to his blog Jazz Wax, journalist Marc Myers includes this note:

While listening to a few hours of Jamaican rocksteady on Friday, I came across a cover that reminded me of another...

6a00e008dca1f0883401b8d2cd16fc970c-800wi

6a00e008dca1f0883401b7c942c82e970b-500wi

I have the Nightfly Trilogy box. So what is that DVD-A? Something else? It doesn't really say, I don't think. No matter, the audio is excellent. Easy "10". Love the album. And the sound and surround mix get none better.

One of my most played surround discs. "Maxine" in surround is system-demo material.

This was on dvd a before the trilogy set. in fact all 3 are dvd audio. I have the complete fagen -dan set in dvd a
the newer stuff is great not that any is bad, just old masters.

Just listening to this on SACD now, no rating now but sounds very good, nice sort of relaxed yet discrete mix. The best steely dan album gets a great surround treatment :p I can see where people think this can be a bit harsh, but I think there's just a lot of treble going on?

This album is a toe tapper though, heard it a few times on CD and liked it there too. And Elliot Scheiner is a name I'll remember going forward.

I can see where people think this can be a bit harsh, but I think there's just a lot of treble going on?

This album is a toe tapper though, heard it a few times on CD and liked it there too. And Elliot Scheiner is a name I'll remember going forward.

The "harshness " can be attributed to this album being a true digital recording. It was one of the earliest albums recorded this way.
This mix is one of the gold standards for 5.1 mixes. It's a demo disc in my house

I really don't know how to do that. I have an Oppo 980-H, if that helps
It's in the audio setup. Page 22 of the manual.
I know it's not always the issue, but SACD = harsh or unsatisfying, compared to DVD-A is definitely a trend around here, and I think lack of bass-management is the reason much of the time.
I thought the Duke SACD was harsh as hell and was super-disappointed upon first listen, preferring the DTS DVD. I changed SACD output to PCM and I love the SACD now.

The harshness can also be if you're listening to the SACD and your system doesn't bass-manage DSD. Converting DSD to PCM will probably solve this.
But that's one reason why I prefer DVD-A when there's a choice.
I listen on a PS3 which converts to PCM!

Back