HiRez Poll Fahl, Mary - CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Fahl, Mary - CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
This is perhaps the easiest score of 10 I've ever bestowed upon a relatively new [to surround, at least] artist. Mary's collaborator Mark Doyle has carressed her astonishing voice with what can only be described as pluperfect arrangements and of course the familiarity with the songs only adds to that assessment.

Likewise, the team of Ronald Prent and spouse, Darcy Proper have afforded Can't Get It Out Of My Head with an amazing all immersive soundscape. Navigating the menu is simplicity itself.

I must also acknowledge edisonbaggins' insightful LIFE IN SURROUND videos for accentuating what I hope to be a major hit for Mary. She is certainly deserving of it.

After 'experiencing' Mary Fahl's current BD~A for a second listen I can only add I'm COMFORTABLY NUMB .... in a GOOD way!

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning in every respect from choice of songs, Mary incredible voice, the mix. This album gives me the chills in a good way.
must thank Mike Eddison Baggins for a great interview in 3 parts tell me the guy missed his calling. It's a 10 knock it out of the park as far as I am concerned

Prent's mix is subtler than, say, Clearmountain's Dark Side, but it's still gratifyingly immersive. A really interesting program of music--deeply thoughtful & personal--with not a dud in the bunch. (Although I think I like the first half, or half+, more than the second. "River Man" is a highlight.) If I were gonna ask for anything, it'd be for a little more variety in terms of mood and tempo. But it's beautiful package, both literally and figuratively, and it will get many repeat listens. 9 from me.

I admit. I am biased. I could listen to Mary singing names in the phone book and would find it wonderful. I have been a fan of hers from the beginning of the October Project days.

This DVD is wonderful. Mary and I are the same age, and I found the song selection to mirror what songs were an essential part of my life during that same time period as hers. The songs are wonderful. Even though they are all covers, she truly tried to make them her own. The mix is great, even though it is more subtle than than her Dark Side Of The Moon release. I was going to mark it down a point because I like DSOTM more, but it wouldn't be fair. They are two completely different beasts. DSOTM was experimental and fun. This one is pure class. Anything else would have been distracting. A solid 10.

I had never heard of Mary. When I checked her out on YouTube, my standard MO when I want to find out if I might like a new artist, I was "meh." But when I had a chance to get her Blu-ray for $5 from the dog ate my @atlantasteve, I thought, why not.

First thing I noticed had nothing to do with her voice. The disc is seriously mixed for 5.1. I couldn't hear her voice with my vintage quad system hook up, so I needed to use my extra added center channel. Her vocals are pretty much totally in that center speaker. There was something wonderfully spacial about the sound, unlike I've heard in any other 5.1 disc. (Most can have that center turned off and it's just fine.) Production value on this disc is absolutely a 10.

Her voice is something that quickly grew on me. Deep, rich. And her interpretations of songs run the gamut. While Tuesday Afternoon could have been nearly the same as the Moody Blues, I Can't Get It Out of My Head was haunting at times.

I write this as I'm still listening for the first time. I'm now a fan.

Solid 10 for this disc.

Back