HiRez Poll Fahl, Mary - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mary Fahl - FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• Total voters
With regards to the mix and fidelity on this album, this is fantastic... it might be Clearmountain's best surround mix (or at least equally as good as Roxy Music's "Avalon"). As far as content, well, that's going to be pretty subjective... I checked out some clips before purchase and I wasn't into it, but I purchased it anyway based on the reviews... it really is an interesting interpretation, but I'm still not getting into the music... all I can say is that I absolutely love the original Dark Side, but I don't feel any urge to listen to this version repeatedly (I really wish I did). I'm always glad to support surround artists, so I still feel good about the purchase. I think this is a 10 if you like the material. For me, I'd say Mix=3, Fidelity=3, Content=1, and a bonus point for the autograph, so 8.

With regards to the mix and fidelity on this album, this is fantastic... it might be Clearmountain's best surround mix (or at least equally as good as Roxy Music's "Avalon"). .....

Wow, Avalon’s sound/mix is stupendous. That’s some praise!

I just received this. Can’t wait to listen once the mandatory household Covid-19 package waiting period is expired.

£13-odd quid in total.. fiver duty, £8 quid handling fee, something like that.

i'd normally waddle along to the Post Office and pick stuff up in person but it felt like an unnecessarily risky journey now i'm back up with my parents who are 80 & 83 and Dad's had some health issues so arranged for it to be sent through the post instead. felt a bit wrong like i was adding to the postie's burden with just a CD.. but i'm worried for their health at the mo 🤷‍♀️

Well, looking on the Bright Side of the Pond, you're a GOOD son, hoping you're all safe and before you know it, you'll be reunited with your trusty Cambridge Universal player and behold Mary's lovely interpretation of the PF classic and Bob Clearmountain's discrete remix.....JUST THE WAY YOU LIKE IT!🎼

Pleased to report purchased the download today, very straight forward transaction with immediate link to download together with link to download copy of the 8 page booklet included with the blu ray. Download took about 15 minutes and that was using wireless connection so Ethernet connection would have been quicker. Had a quick listen of first couple of tracks just to make sure all was ok, which it was, and will give it a full listen this evening with pizza and wine🍷

I can't say much about the re-imagining of this album that hasn't been said in previous reviews. I was in high school when DSOTM was originally released, so I'm also intimately familiar with this record and I'm also a big Pink Floyd fan. That being said, this is not a DSOTM tribute album or a DSOTM cover album. It's a completely different animal. You know what you're listening to when it starts, but then it goes off and does it's own thing, coming back just often enough to remind you of what you're playing. Then there's the surround mix. From the vertigo-inducing beginning of On the Run to one of my new all time favorite surround moments, Any Colour You Like, this is reference quality all the way. I've listened to this disc more times than any other new release that I can think of. This is one where you don't want any distractions, no outside noises, preferably in low light, maybe a few beverages, and just sit there and think: can anything sound better than this? Maybe someday something will, but until then I'll enjoy the heck out of this one. So I'll have to vote a 10. I usually don't vote 10's but I just can't see where there's much room for improvement on this recording. Now, if only the Immersion set Blu-ray sounded like this...….:confused:

As an aside, I'd like to ask Mark Doyle if Josh Dekaney is the same drummer from the live band I saw at the Mauch Chunk Opera House a couple of times? Just curious.

I can't say much about the re-imagining of this album that hasn't been said in previous reviews. I was in high school when DSOTM was originally released, so I'm also intimately familiar with this record and I'm also a big Pink Floyd fan. That being said, this is not a DSOTM tribute album or a DSOTM cover album. It's a completely different animal. You know what you're listening to when it starts, but then it goes off and does it's own thing, coming back just often enough to remind you of what you're playing. Then there's the surround mix. From the vertigo-inducing beginning of On the Run to one of my new all time favorite surround moments, Any Colour You Like, this is reference quality all the way. I've listened to this disc more times than any other new release that I can think of. This is one where you don't want any distractions, no outside noises, preferably in low light, maybe a few beverages, and just sit there and think: can anything sound better than this? Maybe someday something will, but until then I'll enjoy the heck out of this one. So I'll have to vote a 10. I usually don't vote 10's but I just can't see where there's much room for improvement on this recording. Now, if only the Immersion set Blu-ray sounded like this...….:confused:

As an aside, I'd like to ask Mark Doyle if Josh Dekaney is the same drummer from the live band I saw at the Mauch Chunk Opera House a couple of times? Just curious.
Thank you for the kind words (and the 10.) yes, Josh is indeed the drummer in the live band, and he’s also the drummer in my live Guitar Noir show. Josh rules!

Ordered last week and am tracking it across the high seas at the moment
Well this finally arrived at the second attempt today 1st copy lost somewhere between The US and the UK. Excellent customer service as they were tracking this and contacted me about sending a replacement.
To the music and mix, and disclaimer now, I am a big Pink Floyd fan.
I love this reinterpretation of a classic album, like it because it's not a note perfect copy, but distilled essence of the music, yes it's slightly Jazzy ambient and irreverent.
Having Bob Clearmountain mixing it is also a sign of a quality mix.
Very happy bunny to have finally received this and review after so many have moved on.

I ordered this based on several recommendations here. With respect to the performance, I like it a lot. The re-interpretation of this classic is done with taste and imagination. Its so good i can see myself playing it in place of the original. It dosent hurt that the sonics and mix are exemplary. Demo material for sure. That adds up to a 10 for me.

Customer service was excellent as well. I accidentally ordered two copies. I was contacted by Mary F. herself via email asking if it was on purpose or an error. She canceled one copy and issued a refund. I had the other copy in my hand in 3 days. Perfect!

Anyone interested in the title or well done surround music in general should buy this.

The post office is a disgrace! How could they lose so many of this poor girls shipments? It's not fair at all. She apparently is being very gracious at her own expense making up for the horrible service from those postal folks. Very sad indeed.

And what's up with that '1' vote? If you vote '1', at least post your thoughts for crying out loud. I can understand if you don't like a release, but to indicate that this one sounds shitty is totally bogus - unless you post why. Even if this material makes you want to puke, it deserves at least a 6 for mix and fidelity. I honestly am surprised to see such a vote from a long time and well respected member. Please post your reasons to validate your vote. I've said before that every vote is valid as long as there is a reason posted.

Yeah, a "1" really needs a lot of explanation. Hell, I'm only half through my first take and the mix/fidelity earn it top marks. I'd guess any issues are with her interpretations of the songs, but please , do speak up and tell us what you don't like...separate what may bother you about how she did the songs with the quality of the mix.

The more I listen to this one, the more I like it. It was audacious to attempt it, and Mary et al. succeeded in spades. The mix is perfect for the arrangements. I'm so glad it was rediscovered and made available to us! I wish others with completed multichannel mixes would do likewise (I'm talkin' to you, Elton and Steely*).

* By the way, which one's Pink? 😉

Wow, I am totally hooked on this record and can't get Mary's voice out of my head now that I have listened to it over and over again! This is a true gem of a record with a wonderful surround mix.
I ordered it from Mary's website in March. The Blu-ray wouldn't arrive for ages (using Stamp.com) so after two month I wrote to Mary and she sent a second disc via USPS which arrived in Switzerland 2w later. And then, to my surprise, the following week also the Stamp.com parcel arrived.... So maybe we should all just be more patient... Anyways, get this record while it is still available!

Would vote 11 if I could (Content 10 / Fidelity 10 / Surround Mix 10) + 1 for the awesome music

I received this disc on on Monday (9/14), I have been waiting to rate it as I was predisposed to like it a lot, then received Versions of the Truth the next day and rated it a 10. I didn't want to be the guy who rated everything a 10. Luckily for me this disc only had to travel 150 miles up the Hudson to get to me, unfortunately I ordered it on a Thursday. It was a very long weekend. I am very thankful to this forum, without which I would not have known about this gift to humanity.

I don't remember how I was exposed to Mary Fahl. I don't own any October Project albums, but I have had The Other Side of Time since the early aughts, before I converted all of my CDs to AAC. I have loved that album since first listen and would absolutely love a surround version. I heard about From the Darkside of the Moon while it was in legal limbo and acquired a copy. I made up for this transgression when I saw her is Saratoga in 2013, short horrible clip attached.

I have liked it when artists cover a song and make it their own since A Perfect Circle released eMOTIVe. From the Dark Side of the Mood and Petra Haden's acapela interpretation of The Who's Sell Out, made me a huge fan of the reinterpreative cover. Mojo Magazine has done several interesting collaborative reinterpretation covers. I liked Mary's version so much, I bought The Flaming Lips' effort. TFL is good, but doesn't hold a candle to Mary's version.

I have listened to the blu-ray release many times since I received it on Monday. During this time I have adjusted my space and mix several times, as surround music has become the the coping measure du jour. With every listen it has been better. Except for my disc player, I don't have new equipment or audiophile speakers. The sound to my old ears has been incredible. From the opening notes, and vocal interpretations, I heard new material. Every listen has revealed new surround decisions. This disc and THT have made me start working in the basement so I could enjoy well placed surround music all day long. Not the best ergonomic decision, but great for the mental health.

For me, I have loved the content for years, so a 3/3. The sound quality is excellent 3/3. The mix is still revealing the full scope of the album to me 3/3. Signed disc arrived in five day bonus point.

Please Mary or Mark mix the Other Side of Time in 5.1.

https://madship.smugmug.com/Mary-Fahl

I received this disc on on Monday (9/14), I have been waiting to rate it as I was predisposed to like it a lot, then received Versions of the Truth the next day and rated it a 10. I didn't want to be the guy who rated everything a 10. Luckily for me this disc only had to travel 150 miles up the Hudson to get to me, unfortunately I ordered it on a Thursday. It was a very long weekend. I am very thankful to this forum, without which I would not have known about this gift to humanity.

I don't remember how I was exposed to Mary Fahl. I don't own any October Project albums, but I have had The Other Side of Time since the early aughts, before I converted all of my CDs to AAC. I have loved that album since first listen and would absolutely love a surround version. I heard about From the Darkside of the Moon while it was in legal limbo and acquired a copy. I made up for this transgression when I saw her is Saratoga in 2013, short horrible clip attached.

I have liked it when artists cover a song and make it their own since A Perfect Circle released eMOTIVe. From the Dark Side of the Mood and Petra Haden's acapela interpretation of The Who's Sell Out, made me a huge fan of the reinterpreative cover. Mojo Magazine has done several interesting collaborative reinterpretation covers. I liked Mary's version so much, I bought The Flaming Lips' effort. TFL is good, but doesn't hold a candle to Mary's version.

I have listened to the blu-ray release many times since I received it on Monday. During this time I have adjusted my space and mix several times, as surround music has become the the coping measure du jour. With every listen it has been better. Except for my disc player, I don't have new equipment or audiophile speakers. The sound to my old ears has been incredible. From the opening notes, and vocal interpretations, I heard new material. Every listen has revealed new surround decisions. This disc and THT have made me start working in the basement so I could enjoy well placed surround music all day long. Not the best ergonomic decision, but great for the mental health.

For me, I have loved the content for years, so a 3/3. The sound quality is excellent 3/3. The mix is still revealing the full scope of the album to me 3/3. Signed disc arrived in five day bonus point.

Please Mary or Mark mix the Other Side of Time in 5.1.

https://madship.smugmug.com/Mary-Fahl
You should check out the October Project CDs. And actually, they don't hold a candle to their live performances. I saw their second and final tour (with the original members). They had hired a gunslinger to play lead guitar, a guy named Julian Coryell. Yes, that would be Larry's son (for those of you who are jazz fans). During the big finale ("Be My Hero") he literally had shredded the strings of his guitar. Not bad for a mellow, orchestral type band. There is a live video out there that gives you a hint of their power. It is all worth checking out.

I voted 8. This is a hard one. I can't get past of letting go of the orginal while listening to this.
Positives: fidelity and mix is fantastic, love the mix with surrounds and center chanels. Muscianship of instruments is great. The low bass that is very effective really adds to the mix. Very creative.
Negative: hate to say it but Mary Fahl's voice does not do it for me.
Bottom line: I know like everybody knows, you have to give Mary a HUGE respectful honor for attempting to cover arguably one of the biggest selling albums of all time. Bob Clearmountain's mix a 9 for me. The biggest question for me is how often will I listen to this? Basically never as I will listen in surround the orginal.
I will end as I started, a hard one for me as I can't let go of my bias, but I did try.

Lets keep music polls pure. No shipping, off topic, chatter. Cont

Back