Fake Aqualung Tape?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this style before though I'm not sure what it's deal is. I can only speculate that it predates Chrysalis Records' distribution deal with Warner Brothers. The stereo version was released in March of '71, and I would assume the Quad version followed shortly thereafter. Chrysalis got a distribution deal with Warner sometime in 1972.

I've also seen a day-glow lime green version of Aqualung, and I do believe that was a Canadian Island Records version? Not 100% certain on that one either.

Hopefully, somebody without Alzheimers can straighten this out better than I.

The greens are legit Chrysalis, and are the later issue after the grey WEA Q8's. This is more than likely a fake or a rebuilt tape put in a Q8 shell the fixer had lying around. There were never any blue Aqalungs. It looks like an A&M shell.

As for Aqualung, the early releases, Q8 and CD-4 are WB colors and logos. The later issue Chrysalis Q8's are that bright lime green and the LP's do not have the WB Quadradisc Logo on the covers. They have small text indicating that the LP is quad on the front where the WB quadradisc logo was.

It still could be a legit tape (inside) moved to a replacement cartridge. You never know.

I've seen this style before. It shares the same labels with the bright green version. Copies like this have popped up on eBay before. Makes me wish I'd saved the pictures.

It may be a legit tape, the labels look printed well, but the paper cut isn't right (see top border on photo 3)

Actually, it might be real!! (and rare)

I found a picture of another that's in worse shape, and it looks exactly the same. Must be an anomaly.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimages/afu/images/0588/2302/aq1.JPG

aq1.JPG

I thought Q8 meant quad 8 track, this shell does not hav the characteristic notch in the upper left corner.

True. But if they released stereo's in blue shells, than chances are they did the same with the quads. The label looks to be the same format as well.
Who knows?

Back