FANTASY CD-4's: The Forgotten Five

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If D/V are not going for Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, nor even Jerry Reed from RCA, and nor the album with the two major hits from Charlie Rich, or lesser Edgar or Johnny Winter from Columbia/Epic, then I'm not going to even mentally going there that a Concord/ Fantasy could be forthcoming.

We did get a couple CTI things - and they are Sony controlled titles.

But the Fantasy Five (or 6) are going to remain forgotten by the looks of things the last few years.
The saddest part of that is that no QRs were issued at all from Fantasy. Such a bummer.

But yeah, someone needs to step up and make the few Fantasy & Stax titles happen.

The Fantasy stuff has to be available for licensing, yeah? After all, Monster licensed A Charlie Brown Christmas a decade or so ago and made some very nice 5.1 mixes from it. I suppose it's just a matter of whether the price is right...

If I'm not mistaken, humprof, just about all of the Monster Music 5.1 discs [with the exception of Sketches of Spain/3 Doors Down DVD] were licensed from Concord Music which now controls the Fantasy label.

If D/V are not going for Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, nor even Jerry Reed from RCA, and nor the album with the two major hits from Charlie Rich, or lesser Edgar or Johnny Winter from Columbia/Epic, then I'm not going to even mentally going there that a Concord/ Fantasy could be forthcoming.

We did get a couple CTI things - and they are Sony controlled titles.

But the Fantasy Five (or 6) are going to remain forgotten by the looks of things the last few years.
The saddest part of that is that no QRs were issued at all from Fantasy. Such a bummer.

But yeah, someone needs to step up and make the few Fantasy & Stax titles happen.

well i'm going there (mentally bubblin' over!) o_O ..they haven't done so yet but they could cover Dolly's wee pair of Quads in one fell swoop on a 1-disc 2-fer they're so short!
the Jerry Reed's may be off the table due to licencing and Waylon may be on the horizon. they could be revisiting Charlie Rich's catalogue to do the other Quads down the line and especially i hope they do the one with the hits, they have consistently gone back to the Conniff, Faith, Mancini & Montenegro catalogues for Quads the last couple of years from batch to batch so why not Charlie. we've had the 2 x Derringer's, Blue Sky stablemate of Johnny & Edgar, pretty amazing, can the Winter brothers be beyond the realms of possibility now..

more than a couple of CTI things, we've had 5 x CTI Quad albums so far across 3 releases (2 x Deodato, Deodato/Airto Live, Airto, George Benson) not bad going to put it mildly and i don't see why DV couldn't go back to the CTI catalogue, there's as many again they could do in MultiCh. the glass looks half full to me rather than half empty! :coffee:

Did a little birdie land near your ear - and tell you that Jerry Reed licensing has issues.

Glad you are hopeful and somewhat optimistic about Waylon.

Dolly does not need the money, so she might be demanding more money. Funny how that works.

I guess it can take many many months to find out it's no go, or it's a go but price is rather high. Or it's a go, but no tapes yet found. Or found but crispy flakes in a box with a rusty reel it it.

Did a little birdie land near your ear - and tell you that Jerry Reed licensing has issues.

Glad you are hopeful and somewhat optimistic about Waylon.

Dolly does not need the money, so she might be demanding more money. Funny how that works.

I guess it can take many many months to find out it's no go, or it's a go but price is rather high. Or it's a go, but no tapes yet found. Or found but crispy flakes in a box with a rusty reel it it.

yes, another birdie tweeted similar (hence why i mentioned Jerry Reed possible licencing issues back there <<).
i'm not sure Dolly controls that part of her catalogue, if so she's not been averse to pimping it out for budget RCA CD compilations.. if not then whoever does control it must've been alright with licencing and i suspect not for megabucks either but we shall see..

Yeah, it's the CD-4 forum, but you just KNOW the guy named Q-Eight is gonna chime in with his two cents.

(I only have one of the CD-4`s, the CCR album)
Fantasy Q8 002.JPG

yes, another birdie tweeted similar (hence why i mentioned Jerry Reed possible licencing issues back there <<).
i'm not sure Dolly controls that part of her catalogue, if so she's not been averse to pimping it out for budget RCA CD compilations.. if not then whoever does control it must've been alright with licencing and i suspect not for megabucks either but we shall see..
At least they little birdie nodded and I think sort of smiled when asked about Waylon on D/V in quad. It's more important than just about any of them.

well i'm going there (mentally bubblin' over!) o_O ..they haven't done so yet but they could cover Dolly's wee pair of Quads in one fell swoop on a 1-disc 2-fer they're so short!

*Danger!*Danger*! Thread Tangent ahead!*

Do you think they would be willing to put in some extra work? There are two other Dolly Parton Quads that remain unreleased: "My Tennsessee Mountain Home" and "Bargain Store" were supposedly completed. We could have a pair of two-fers if they were done!

drool drool
that's too cool for school :love:

what's the Flora Purim mix like?

You know..... I don't know. I may have played it back when I first received the tape to get it working, but that is probably the only time I've ever played it. I just wanted them to have all six. I'll pop it in tonight and report back!

drool drool
that's too cool for school :love:

what's the Flora Purim mix like?

Surprisingly Discrete! Nice spread of drums either front or rear and sometimes BOTH with items like kicker, toms, snare in the rears with overheads/cymbals in front. Bass either front center or back center usually appearing opposite wherever drums are loudest. Each song has a different mix so suffice to say that the four corners are used liberally be they percussive instrument, electric keyboard, guitar, horns, what have you.

Piano sounds like it was recorded across two tracks and will appear in stereo either front, rear or a couple songs feature it in the phantom sides (so, all four, but stereo front and rear). Vocals are generally in all four.

The "Around the world, around the room" panning effect is put to excessive use. Virtually every song has either a percussive instrument, a synth, a horn or even Flora's vocal at full trot around the room. However, when this happens, whatever is spinning disappears for a split second at the front-center position. Verified by my 'scope as well. Creates a bit of a pulsating feel to whatever is spinning. I speculate that something was hooked up out-of-phase during the mixing session as other instruments blend across the fronts nicely.

And it always spins clockwise.

All in all, not bad. Whoever mixed this obviously did NOT mix the Creedence Gold Q8. This Q8 is nice and discrete and uses the four corners of the room to good effect.

The picture is breathtakingly beautiful. Always loved the GRT blue carts and cassettes. Childhood connection of.... oh never mind.

I try to stick with ONLY Blue GRT tapes be they stereo or Quad. I've only got four white GRT Q8's because I don't believe they ever came any other way.
But I too have an affinity for them also from my childhood. My first tape EVER was a blue GRT tape from Janus Records called "Sizzlers" and the album art was just a bunch of fireworks. It was a compilation album featuring all the top ABC/Dunhill artists: The Grass Roots, Steppenwolf, Mamas & The Papas.... it was a great tape that I wore out as a kid. That tape was a fixture in our Valiant.

But it developed issues that 6-year-old me could not fix, so the old man tossed it out.

I've never seen another copy of that tape! And believe me, I've looked! I finally lucked into an LP version of it a few years back so I can confirm it DOES exist.

I had Osmonds Phase III, Grass Roots 16 Greatest Hits, and James Gang 16 Hits.

The only quad I have owned and I still have it is " Cant Buy a Thrill"

Had a few cassettes on blue plastic cases too, they looked just as cool.

I was lucky enough to get the Creedence CD-4 on ebay on a "buy it now $40 ". I dont think the seller knew how tough it was to get, but must have checked after it sold so quickly, because he made a comment about selling it so cheaply. I also have the Japan pressing I received in a bunch of quad stuff I got from Cai's mom. I can't tell much difference between the pressing's, but got a better Q4 conversion from the Japan pressing and thats the one I listen to. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The standard CD4 is in my avatar.

I was lucky enough to get the Creedence CD-4 on ebay on a "buy it now $40 ". I dont think the seller knew how tough it was to get, but must have checked after it sold so quickly, because he made a comment about selling it so cheaply. I also have the Japan pressing I received in a bunch of quad stuff I got from Cai's mom. I can't tell much difference between the pressing's, but got a better Q4 conversion from the Japan pressing and thats the one I listen to. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The standard CD4 is in my avatar.
Proud Mary sounds the best I've ever heard it on the US CD-4 LP when played back in stereo. There is a thick richness and kick to it., that is just perfect imo. I've never heard it decoded from CD-4, does it decode as well as many other Japanese quad CD-4s do?

Last edited:
The japanese CD4 decoded very nicely for me with jvc's top of the line cd-4 cart (4md20?) and jvc decoder. I also have the Temptations "All directions" and Guess who "Share the land" japanese CD4's. All decoded well. I got the decoder and cart out of a business in Canada that was selling lots of older stuff as NOS many years ago and it seems they sold out of their stock pretty quickly.. They also had NOS pioneer high end integrated amps, but they were in the $2000 range, if I remember correctly (always wanted one of those, but just couldn't pull the trigger)! The all directions disc was an ebay buy it now for $70 and is by far the most I've ever spent on a record. I had never seen it priced that low. I always loved "papa was a rolling stone" and that one quad song is still worth the money as I look back.

Back