FANTASY CD-4's: The Forgotten Five

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Fantasy Records arrived on the Quad Scene a bit late in the game. They came in with a strong Pop/Rock title along with 5 other jazz quads, but the whole quad movement was pretty much disappearing, and their release #7 never came to market. It is not known if the mix was actually finished. That album, Country Joe McDonald's "Paradise with an Ocean View" actually had a decent FM hit called "Breakfast for Two", which might have been a good quad listen.

So, everyone is familiar with FPM-4001, Creedence Gold, and no, there was no mystery truck full of these that got into an accident and all copies disappeared. The fact is that they just did not make many of these, and they pretty much all sold out. The "Forgotten Five" also had a very limited production run, but did not sell well and ended up in the cut-out bins of the era. I would wager that more were sold as cut-outs than as first line stock. Finding all of these 5 without the cut-out markings would be a good mission for the "must have everything" quad collector.

The only radio-airplay "hit" from this batch of quad releases, other than from the Creedence album, was the song "Walking in Rhythm" from "Flying Start"

So, here are the Fantasy CD-4's for posterity. I am pretty sure that they all were also available as Q8's, but they are fairly rare as well. Local versions were also released in Japan with different pressing numbers.

FPM-4001: CREEDENCE GOLD

ccr.JPG

FPM-4002: PIECES OF DREAMS - STANLEY TURRENTINE

stan.JPG

FPM-4003: CHILDREN OF LIMA - WOODY HERMAN

lima.JPG

FPM-4004: FLYING START - BLACKBYRDS

black.JPG

FPM-4005: STORIES TO TELL - FLORA PURIM

purim.JPG

FPM-4006: SONGS OF THE NEW WORLD - McCOY TYNER

tyner.JPG

Fantasy Records arrived on the Quad Scene a bit late in the game. They came in with a strong Pop/Rock title along with 5 other jazz quads, but the whole quad movement was pretty much disappearing, and their release #7 never came to market. It is not known if the mix was actually finished. That album, Country Joe McDonald's "Paradise with an Ocean View" actually had a decent FM hit called "Breakfast for Two", which might have been a good quad listen.

So, everyone is familiar with FPM-4001, Creedence Gold, and no, there was no mystery truck full of these that got into an accident and all copies disappeared. The fact is that they just did not make many of these, and they pretty much all sold out. The "Forgotten Five" also had a very limited production run, but did not sell well and ended up in the cut-out bins of the era. I would wager that more were sold as cut-outs than as first line stock. Finding all of these 5 without the cut-out markings would be a good mission for the "must have everything" quad collector.

The only radio-airplay "hit" from this batch of quad releases, other than from the Creedence album, was the song "Walking in Rhythm" from "Flying Start"

So, here are the Fantasy CD-4's for posterity. I am pretty sure that they all were also available as Q8's, but they are fairly rare as well. Local versions were also released in Japan with different pressing numbers.

FPM-4001: CREEDENCE GOLD

View attachment 37081

FPM-4002: PIECES OF DREAMS - STANLEY TURRENTINE

View attachment 37082

FPM-4003: CHILDREN OF LIMA - WOODY HERMAN

View attachment 37083

FPM-4004: FLYING START - BLACKBYRDS

View attachment 37084

FPM-4005: STORIES TO TELL - FLORA PURIM

View attachment 37085

FPM-4006: SONGS OF THE NEW WORLD - McCOY TYNER

View attachment 37086

Thanks for posting Jon. All great artists, IMO. Wonder why Analogue Productions who heavily promoted the Stereo Creedence Clearwater SACD remasters never accessed the QUAD GOLD release...even adding it as a bonus disc in their Creedence box set.

And since Acoustic Sounds also has a history of releasing some tasty Stereo/MONO Jazz SACDs.....IMO, it would be worthwhile for them to pursue these 5 worthy QUAD reissues...if those masters still exist.

IIRC when the stereo SACD were on discussion, SH exprimed his disappontment with the Quad mix of CCR Gold, so he had it in his hands at least for a listen.
What i still feel disappointed is that when he did the Grand Funk American Band, Capitol sent to him by mistake the quad master... c'mon, you don't even had to hassle to find it out, do a stereo and quad sacd!!!!

Nice overview, but I count six releases total...though "the forgotten five" does have a nice ring to it :)

The only two I've heard are Creedence Gold and Flying Start. The Creedence is a mixed bag in terms of surround, some songs are fairly discrete and others are virtually double stereo. "Bad Moon Rising" has this huge delay on the lead vocal that makes it sound like it was performed in a wind tunnel. It's very similar to the heavy reverb effect on the quad mix of Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years". My CD-4 copy doesn't sound particularly great- I'd love to compare with the Japanese pressing if I could find one. The Q8->DTS conversion floating around is decent but I've heard better sonics from Q8.

Haven't played the Blackbyrds in a while, but I remember the hit song "Walking In Rhythm" has the vocals completely isolated in the rears!

The Q8s are really scare for all six.There is a copy of Creedence Gold sitting on Discogs for $249 right now. I've never seen any of the others for sale. I also think all six were issued by JVC as CD-4s in Japan, but I can't find pics of all of them. It's interesting that the Japanese Creedence Gold doesn't have the gimmicky cover where the faces flip open one by one.

7163-4001 H Creedence Gold (CD4W-7113)

7163-4002 H Stanley Turrentine- Pieces Of Dreams

7163-4003 H Woody Herman- Children Of Lima

7163-4004 H Blackbyrds- Flying Start (CD4W-7114)

7163-4005 H Flora Purim- Stories To Tell

7163-4006 H McCoy Tyner- Songs Of The New World (CD4W- 7115)

IRC when the stereo SACD were on discussion, SH exprimed his disappontment with the Quad mix of CCR Gold, so he had it in his hands at least for a listen.

Found that thread. Great news that the master tape still exists, but what a shame that it ended up in the hands of someone with no intention to release it :(

Last edited:
All of these are better than average mixes. In fact they are very good. CCR Gold suffers from lack of available tracks to make a decent surround mix. At least the early material. Listened to Blackbyrds just a few days ago and it is fabulous at times. If anyone wants to hear these i can help ya out. Including the japan ccr.

Thanks for posting Jon. All great artists, IMO. Wonder why Analogue Productions who heavily promoted the Stereo Creedence Clearwater SACD remasters never accessed the QUAD GOLD release...even adding it as a bonus disc in their Creedence box set.

And since Acoustic Sounds also has a history of releasing some tasty Stereo/MONO Jazz SACDs.....IMO, it would be worthwhile for them to pursue these 5 worthy QUAD reissues...if those masters still exist.

Good question. I bought that expensive boxset, fueled by all of the hoopla over at SHF, and they threw in the live album as a bonus in the box, but it sure would have been nice if instead they gave us the stereo/quad "Creedence Gold". Would have really made the box set a must have.

Oddly enough, Fantasy (or Concord) licensed a Creedence Track for quad release on the Mercedes Benz demo DVD from 2010. If they could do that, they surely could release FPM-4001 on a 5.1 disc format of their choice.

AFAIK, Fantasy is owned by Concord Music Group, which--compared to Sony and UMG, at least--is still relatively small and independent.

If so, surprised they didn't release these 6 QUADS when they released their cornucopia of Concord Jazz 5.1 surround discs in the early 00's. IMO, they were ALL uniformly SUPERB!

If so, surprised they didn't release these 6 QUADS when they released their cornucopia of Concord Jazz 5.1 surround discs in the early 00's. IMO, they were ALL uniformly SUPERB!

According to Wikipedia, Concord only acquired Fantasy in 2004.

I love those Concord Jazz discs too, though. And let's not forget Heads Up, another Concord label. Andy Narell's excellent album The Passage is still available from his website--for just 11 bucks!

No wonder I've had trouble finding that STANLEY TURRENTINE title; It's a little too smooth Jazz for my taste as far as Turrentine is concerned, but I'd have it anyway. I've heard the CCR Gold and would have no problem having that on a "modern" format.
Thanks Jon!:)

it's a good one.. with Gene Page arranging, no less! i got decent demodulated Quad out of the Turrentine CD-4 LP (plus demodulated 4&20 BlackByrds, Doctor McCoy & Woody Quadpecker) if you're curious to hear any of it, Pupster, just drop me a line for a sample :)

on a related tangent, do Concord still control the Stax catalogue?
one of the most unfathomable head scratchers of the last 20+ years in this game for me was that Shaft SACD remixed in Stereo.. i bet for what it cost them to remix it they could've spent that dosh doing all the wonderful Isaac Hayes Quads on MultiCh SACD with change to spare instead. D'OH! o_O

it's a good one.. with Gene Page arranging, no less! i got decent demodulated Quad out of the Turrentine CD-4 LP (plus demodulated 4&20 BlackByrds, Doctor McCoy & Woody Quadpecker) if you're curious to hear any of it, Pupster, just drop me a line for a sample :)

on a related tangent, do Concord still control the Stax catalogue?
one of the most unfathomable head scratchers of the last 20+ years in this game for me was that Shaft SACD remixed in Stereo.. i bet for what it cost them to remix it they could've spent that dosh doing all the wonderful Isaac Hayes Quads on MultiCh SACD with change to spare instead. D'OH! o_O

checking this one out again, i'd forgotten its mixed mostly with lead instrument more prominent in the Rears with rhythm section and saxophone reverb upfront, with all sorts of nice accents popping up in the various channels, percussion in a Rear here, strings in another Rear, keys tinkling away over there.. its not a knock you over the head CBS style 4-corner whizzbang ultra discrete-o-matic surround mix (and just as well Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone never issued anything in SQ with all that Centre Rear info going on it might play merry havoc!) but its pretty effective and suits the material..

i reckon it'd be right up Vocalion's street, if they were of a mind to go for it, that it were available for licencing in the first instance of course and that Quad mastertapes were held in the vault of whoever owns the rights now.. ah.. planets aligning..

you know, with all the great Pop/Rock/Soul stuff they've been putting out, i'd kind of started taking DV for granted a bit, until a chat with a friend earlier who gave me a reality check! i mean, take a look at this latest DV batch, whether any or all of its your cup of tea or not (and some of it isn't mine!) its still a ton of music to secure rights for, clearances, pull tapes, all the remastering work in Stereo and Multichannel, the A&R, production, 2 albums per disc, that's what 20 albums = 40 new masterings!? DV : wowwwww-eeee!!! :QQlove

checking this one out again, i'd forgotten its mixed mostly with lead instrument more prominent in the Rears with rhythm section and saxophone reverb upfront, with all sorts of nice accents popping up in the various channels, percussion in a Rear here, strings in another Rear, keys tinkling away over there.. its not a knock you over the head CBS style 4-corner whizzbang ultra discrete-o-matic surround mix (and just as well Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone never issued anything in SQ with all that Centre Rear info going on it might play merry havoc!) but its pretty effective and suits the material..

i reckon it'd be right up Vocalion's street, if they were of a mind to go for it, that it were available for licencing in the first instance of course and that Quad mastertapes were held in the vault of whoever owns the rights now.. ah.. planets aligning..

you know, with all the great Pop/Rock/Soul stuff they've been putting out, i'd kind of started taking DV for granted a bit, until a chat with a friend earlier who gave me a reality check! i mean, take a look at this latest DV batch, whether any or all of its your cup of tea or not (and some of it isn't mine!) its still a ton of music to secure rights for, clearances, pull tapes, all the remastering work in Stereo and Multichannel, the A&R, production, 2 albums per disc, that's what 20 albums = 40 new masterings!? DV : wowwwww-eeee!!! :QQlove

Adam, sometimes we do forget [and a reality check IS in order] how many actual QUAD SACDs D~V has released in the past few years and that if we were lucky, Audio Fidelity might release 2 SINGLE SACDs a MONTH...and some of them were STEREO, only.

And that D~V is THE ONLY reissue company IN THE WORLD currently releasing Quadraphonic and 5.1 SACDs on a relatively consistent basis.

OK, some of the title selections are a bit wonky and certainly not to everyone's liking, but the mastering/fidelity has always been consistently excellent and IMO, that's a yeoman's task considering that a lot of the MUCH pricier current surround remixes have been INCONSISTENT, to say the least!

Last edited:
I think that the song "Proud Mary" sounds the best it has ever sounded on the CD-4 quad LP. There is a nice deep thump to the bottom end, and clarity to it. It's never to bright like some feel CD-4 LPs sometimes are. I am speaking of playing this LP on a fine system in stereo.

It really is perfection for this track don't you all agree. Play it - listen and post back here what you think.

The Fantasy stuff has to be available for licensing, yeah? After all, Monster licensed A Charlie Brown Christmas a decade or so ago and made some very nice 5.1 mixes from it. I suppose it's just a matter of whether the price is right...

Back