Quad LP/Tape Poll Farrell, Joe: Penny Arcade [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ of Joe Farrell - Penny Arcade

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Penny Arcade was Joe Farrell's fourth studio album for CTI and sole quad release, issued as an unmarked SQ matrix-encoded LP in 1974. Featuring guest appearances by Herbie Hancock and Steve Gadd, the album was produced by Creed Taylor and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder.

front.jpeg
disc.jpeg

CTI 6034 (RVG SQ 87692) [SQ LP]
Discogs link: LP
Wiki for the album: Penny Arcade

Side 1
  1. Penny Arcade
  2. Too High
Side 2
  1. Hurricane Jane
  2. Cloud Cream
  3. Geo Blue

Penny Arcade was Joe Farrell's fourth studio album for CTI and sole quad release, issued as an unmarked SQ matrix-encoded LP in 1974. Featuring guest appearances by Herbie Hancock and Steve Gadd, the album was produced by Creed Taylor and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder.

View attachment 77071View attachment 77072

CTI 6034 (RVG SQ 87692) [SQ LP]
Discogs link: LP
Wiki for the album: Penny Arcade

Side 1
  1. Penny Arcade
  2. Too High
Side 2
  1. Hurricane Jane
  2. Cloud Cream
  3. Geo Blue
Well never knew about this one, I guess it's considered a stealth Quad then?

Think there's any chance this Wounded Bird CD is still SQ encoded :unsure:; if so I'll certainly give it a run through the ol' SMv2 and report back ???

Well never knew about this one, I guess it's considered a stealth Quad then?

Think there's any chance this Wounded Bird CD is still SQ encoded :unsure:; if so I'll certainly give it a run through the ol' SMv2 and report back ???

i think maybe even the iTunes was SQ when i last tinkered around with that stuff 🤗

Thanks to Mod sjcorne for creating this poll.

When this came out, a keyboard playing friend dropped by with this record. He knew I'd love it. Likely I would never known about this otherwise. I had to pick it up. Had records by these folks, especially as supporting musicians. If you like Farrell's work w/Corea & RTF, and/or you like CTI jazz, pick this up.

I'd rate the performance a bit above the standard great CTI sessions, 9 perhaps. Bought many CTI SQ & Q8's, so I knew they were doing Quad. I noticed the SQ on the label and turned the knob to SQ. 8 for Quad mix, mostly played through Marantz SQA-2B. Not sure I ever tried the SQD-2020 on this. A research project for the future. Mix is typical CTI: good, not overly aggressive. 8 for mid-70's fidelity.

Need to give this another listen...

Back