Faux Quad Possible for Auto?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what happened uploading those pics, but here is essentially what I did:

Front speakers wired normally

Rear left speaker is connected to it's own positive wire from the deck, plus the positive that ought to go to the rear right speaker

Rear right speaker is connected to it's own negative wire from the deck, plus the negative that ought to go to the rear left speaker

I did this behind the deck, but could potentially be done in the trunk or where ever your rears are wired.

The effect this creates is cool to the point that I have renewed excitement over listening to my collection of stereo albums again.

I definitely recommend others try it and would love for a sciencey-type to explain what this wiring is achieving.
This is what I did in 1974. This is Dynaquad. Get a copy of Surf's Up or Carl & The Passions & listen to them at once. You will be impressed.

I played with this approach using the Quatravox or something similar back in the seventies. The drawback is that the rear speakers are operating in mono the base cancels out and the rears are out of phase with each other. I've even tied swapping the front and rear (as the rear speakers were best for base) which preserved the rear stereo effect, but still didn't sound right unless you face the rear (hard to do while driving).
I'm now using a Rocktron CSA12 Circle Surround Decoder, it works great it keeps the vocals upfront and lots of base still in the rear and the surround effect is adjustable. I recently purchased a car circle surround decoder made by Sherwood and the results are terrible, not enough rear output and no way to adjust it.

The effect I'm hearing is that highs tend to sound like they're coming from the rears, as well as some ocassional flanging.
For an album like Crash Test Dummies: God Shuffled His Feet, the main vocal sounds neither forward nor backward and the bgv's sound like they are behind you. Most cymbals, snaps, claps and anything with loads of reverb tend to come from the rears too.
I have good woofers in my front doors. I'm not missing any bass, thank goodness.
It is also the case that when I favor my system's balance all the way to the rears, the fronts are silent and the rears sound trebly and ghostly. When I begin to roll the balance back toward the front, the rears get fuller and fuller range, until zero, where they are quite full. Then, as you begin to favor the fronts, you begin to lose the surround effect, of course.

Could any surroundy weirdness be achieved by feeding each rear its own positive and the other's negative,
Or it's own negative and the other's positive?
Or it's own positive, then bridge the negatives speaker to speaker (not sending negatives back to the deck)?

Back