Favorite Miles Davis Surround Mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favourite Miles Davis Surround Mix?

• Total voters

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Wiht the recent activity in getting the Sketches Of Spain disc it made me think.

Whats your favourite Miles Davis surround disc/mix?

Modern:
Kind of Blue - SACD / Dualdisc DD
In a Slient Way - SACD
Tutu - DVD-Audio
Sketches of Spain - DVD DTS 96/24 (Monster Music)

Quad:
Bitches Brew - SQ
Live-Evil SQ

Or something else that I'm not aware of???

Let us know why you've chosen your particular choice....

For me its In a Silent Way....

Sonically & content wise I like it better than the others, the surround mix (while not adventourous) is quite good.

I don't have the quads or Tutu (yet) :eek:...

I've only heard the Bitches Brew quad through a transfer. I found it to be a very inventive mix. Sketches is a good mix but, like I said, it doesn't rise above what could be done with our best upmixing methods. I haven't heard some of the others and agree with Linda on A Kind of Blue. Bitches Brew wins for me.

Tutu. A 10 for music, sonics and mix. Even in 2 ch, Tutu is one of the 10 best Miles albums. I have around 500 Miles albums, so this is no small praise. Kind of Blue is a better album musically. but it is a 5.1 non-mix.

Listening to Archbishop Desmond for the first time as I type... :eek:

I have to agree with Linda... excellent 5.1 mix too!!!

P.S. IMHO - The AP 3 channel sacd discs aren't (quite) surround.

Yes - they are more than stereo - but you aren't "surrounded" by three channels in the front.;)

I have not heard a few of the mentioned mixes (Only "Live-3vil", and "Tutu"), but I think that
"Bitches Brew" is one of the WILDEST mixes ever(in my top five)
...just for sheer craziness and bouncing trumpets all around you....

I have not heard a few of the mentioned mixes (Only "Live-3vil", and "Tutu"), but I think that
"Bitches Brew" is one of the WILDEST mixes ever(in my top five)
...just for sheer craziness and bouncing trumpets all around you....

Just got around to obtaining Bitches Brew in SQ :smokin... definitely sheer craziness with bouncing trumpets.... musically its interesting to see similarities from In a Silent Way to this also..

It would be good to have a conversion of Live-Evil....its the only one on the list I haven't heard.

I recently pulled out In A Silent Way - a purchase I made in 2009 - and played it for the first time in 2016 (such is my backlog). I have to say I was blown away. Mind you, there are not trumpets whizzing around ala Bitches Brew, but the mix is very open and discrete. Not a three channel mix.

As Dr Simple mentioned, Seven Steps to Heaven is available in a three channel mix, as is Some Day My Prince Will Come and Kind of Blue. Because these are not full surround I am discounting them from my vote. Tutu is a very active mix, but I prefer the older Miles to this more modern multitrack construction. There is a great interview with the creator of the title track of Tutu as part of the Miles Davis Radio Project which is worth seeking out for more background on this disc.

For me Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way are the primary contenders, with Live Evil and Tutu both being worth seeking out. But my vote goes to In A Silent Way because of the shimmering pristine presentation. Now if Audio Fidelity could get ahold of the Bitches Brew quad master.... that could make the choice harder.

Great thread, and the QQ search engine worked for a change as I was going to post a new thread as I had this same idea while some of us are on the Miles kick right now.
What I own so far:
Live Evil: Japanese 4.0 and 2.0 SACD
In A Silent Way Japanese 5.1 SACD
Tutu 5.1 DVD-A
Sketches Of Spain 5.1 DTS CD 24/48
Bitches Brew Japanese 4.0 SACD
Seven Steps To Heaven 3.0 SACD
Miles is featured: The Collection AF 4.0 SACD
I must mention the SACD 2.0 The Hot Spot (Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker plus others) super duper good.
I do not have:
Someday My Prince will come 3.0 (I can get that easy from Analogue Productions)
Kind Of Blue surround: HR Audio.net lists three versions, two Columbia and one SMEJ HRaudio
What is the better of the three Kind Of Blue?
Did I miss any Miles surrounds?

Great thread, and the QQ search engine worked for a change as I was going to post a new thread as I had this same idea while some of us are on the Miles kick right now.
What I own so far:
Live Evil: Japanese 4.0 and 2.0 SACD
In A Silent Way Japanese 5.1 SACD
Tutu 5.1 DVD-A
Sketches Of Spain 5.1 DTS CD 24/48
Bitches Brew Japanese 4.0 SACD
Seven Steps To Heaven 3.0 SACD
Miles is featured: The Collection AF 4.0 SACD
I must mention the SACD 2.0 The Hot Spot (Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker plus others) super duper good.
I do not have:
Someday My Prince will come 3.0 (I can get that easy from Analogue Productions)
Kind Of Blue surround: HR Audio.net lists three versions, two Columbia and one SMEJ HRaudio
What is the better of the three Kind Of Blue?
Did I miss any Miles surrounds?

AP's Seven Steps to Heaven [3.0] and Someday My Prince Will Come [3.0] are MUSTS!

As for Kind of Blue....I'd skip the dualdisc [lossy DD] and here's a blurb from SONY Japan's 2007 Kind of Blue hybrid SACD:

Japan original SACD Hybrid release of Miles Davis's legendary album featuring digital remastering (remastering same as that used in the popular 2006 cardboard sleeve version). *Note: this release does not contain a carboard sleeve. *SACD layer also includes 3.0ch surround version of the recording. To experience the multi-channel version of the recording, multichannel SACD player is needed and it is best experienced with surround speakers. 2ch stereo version of the recording is also included.

Sony Japan's incredible Multichannel 5.1 of Miles' IN A SILENT WAY was also released the same year [2007] as KIND OF BLUE. I'll have to check to see what versions I have for comparison.

AP's Seven Steps to Heaven [3.0] and Someday My Prince Will Come [3.0] are MUSTS!

As for Kind of Blue....I'd skip the dualdisc [lossy DD] and here's a blurb from SONY Japan's 2007 Kind of Blue hybrid SACD:

Japan original SACD Hybrid release of Miles Davis's legendary album featuring digital remastering (remastering same as that used in the popular 2006 cardboard sleeve version). *Note: this release does not contain a carboard sleeve. *SACD layer also includes 3.0ch surround version of the recording. To experience the multi-channel version of the recording, multichannel SACD player is needed and it is best experienced with surround speakers. 2ch stereo version of the recording is also included.

Sony Japan's incredible Multichannel 5.1 of Miles' IN A SILENT WAY was also released the same year [2007] as KIND OF BLUE. I'll have to check to see what versions I have for comparison.
That's good info Ralphie, just what I was looking for, just ordered on Amazon, $32.00, can't beat that.
I ordered this one.
513xg+UOZuL.jpg

Another one for In a Silent Way here, just because I think it's musically a little stronger (or at least more to my tastes) than Bitches Brew or Live-Evil, which are both great in their own rights.

I was heartened to see Mark Wilder's name in the remastering credits of the recent Sony Japan SACD reissue of Live-Evil. He did the fantastic 5.1 mix of IASW, and I'm hopeful that his involvement with these Japanese SACD releases means that his unreleased 5.1 mix of A Tribute to Jack Johnson (and/or any other 5.1 mixes he may have done) may become part of this series.

Back