Steven Wilson Feature Story in January 2022 Mix Online

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/mix541.digital_ns/30"One of the biggest challenges, Wilson has discovered, is that very few of the stakeholders can listen to Dolby Atmos in an environment comparable to the one in which it was created in order to approve the mix. 'People are getting Atmos mixes done but they don't really understand what they're going to hear. And they have no real way of listening to it.'"

Last edited:
Wow! Lots of interesting info to unpack...
“I always start with a 5.1 mix and that becomes the bed of my Atmos mix,” he continues. “At that point, I listen and think, ‘That sound in the rear speakers would be great coming out of the side speakers.’ I’ll take that out of the bed, assign it to a stereo Atmos object, and place it. I understand that it’s partly because I have this institutional history of doing things in 5.1. If I was starting from scratch, I would probably get into the business of making my bed 7.1, because that’s what Atmos is supposed to be.”
I suppose this guarantees that - at least for the future remixes being issued on Blu-Ray instead of just streaming - there will always be a dedicated 5.1 audio stream.
...Wilson remixed a major new wave band’s debut album into Atmos then sent the binaural renders to their big-name producer for approval.
Anyone want to guess what this might be? The Cars? Devo?

I suppose this guarantees that - at least for the future remixes being issued on Blu-Ray instead of just streaming - there will always be a dedicated 5.1 audio stream.

The Cars and Devo would be cool. Also maybe Blondie?

Wilson's 7.1.4 Genelec self powered speaker system is unbelievably cool!
I wonder which Genelecs. The 8xx0 series all look about the same.
1640357317475.png

Just hope there’s a physical version of it released. :)

Now just how many people have Atmos systems to listen to it on?

I did see a soundbar advertised as Atmos. How?

Back