Quad LP/Tape Poll Ferrante & Teicher: Midnight Cowboy [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Midnight Cowboy"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their best known pop hit, from 1969.

Program 1:

Midnight Cowboy
Gentle on My Mind
Scarborough Fair
The Windmills of Your Mind
My Way
The Sound of Silence

Program 2:

"Rock" A-Bye Baby
Little Green Apples
Aquarius
Popi
Love's Old Sweet Song
Those Were the Days

ED :)

Nine years later.
Just got this off of eBay not even out of the wrapper yet (along with a whole hoard of other Q8s QRs regular reels and various LPs 45s 78s and other media)

Of course like most other late 60s multi-track recordings - all they do is give you a straight-across dub of the original 4-track session master - but even still - with the two pianos sharing one, the electric guitar and percussion track sharing one - the rhythm guitar on one and the strings on the other one it's still very interesting to be able to remix.

Myself I separated out the electric guitar and percussion into two as best I could since it has that whole ``raindrop'' intro to give the algorithms something to go on before the rhythm guitar and percussion kicks in.

Panned the electric guitar intro around the room LF RF RR RL and then tried one with the strings rear-center and the other one with the rhythm guitar rear center but that didn't sound as good as the strings.

So did a reverse pan of the rhythm guitar in the opposite channels as the electric guitar and that ended up sounding OK. Pretty much had to leave the perc track and the two pianos track in the front center since everything else sounded kind of lopsided or contrived.

Now there's a premix-master I wd love to lay my hands on if it was a 1-inch 8-track or 2-inch 16 track especially if it was still in the days of everything done live over multiple takes. By the time they got to the 1-inch though a lot of sessions just have multiple takes of basic tracks and then everything else overdubbed later after they picked the one they liked.

Still - be interesting to see if any of the playback takes sync's up well enough with the master to where somebody could use another electric guitar track or especially another string track would be awesome then I could pan one to the rear left and the other one to the rear right.

Back