HiRez Poll Ferry, Bryan - BOYS AND GIRLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bryan Ferry - BOYS AND GIRLS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
With Adam's suggestion about voting I must admit I'm guilty of not voting on a lot of titles I own. I can't add much to what has already been said about this disc, it's almost Avalon II, but not quite for me. I gave it a 9.

With Adam's suggestion about voting I must admit I'm guilty of not voting on a lot of titles I own. I can't add much to what has already been said about this disc, it's almost Avalon II, but not quite for me. I gave it a 9.

Herein lies a problem (personally -- not with you Clint!!) I voted this a "7" back when I first joined up here and was new-fangled with QQ and went on a bit of a voting binge.. and on reflection generally voted things quite harshly (I recall thinking this disc was compressed / 'overloud'.. and it is.. but it sounds great nevertheless..) now it'd be an easy "8", or even as you have just given it I'd probably give it a "9".. but you can't turn back, turn back, turn back the pages, pages... so there it is..! :eek: )

Great disc, I wonder if UMe will re-issue any of these Ferry solo 5.1's when they get their finger out and start doing the Roxy Music 5.1's it will no doubt shine the spotlight on these old OOP surround discs all over again.

Herein lies a problem (personally -- not with you Clint!!) I voted this a "7" back when I first joined up here and was new-fangled with QQ and went on a bit of a voting binge.. and on reflection generally voted things quite harshly (I recall thinking this disc was compressed / 'overloud'.. and it is.. but it sounds great nevertheless..) now it'd be an easy "8", or even as you have just given it I'd probably give it a "9".. but you can't turn back, turn back, turn back the pages, pages... so there it is..! :eek: )

Great disc, I wonder if UMe will re-issue any of these Ferry solo 5.1's when they get their finger out and start doing the Roxy Music 5.1's it will no doubt shine the spotlight on these old OOP surround discs all over again.

The way I feel is that anything with a rating of 7 or above is worth a purchase...and really the comments are more important than the poll numbers...because what some people see as negative aspects(like price or packaging or content)might not affect you for a potential purchase..and actually you can change your opinion of the disc by merely making an updated post on the thread(like you just did)explaining your current opinion of the disc...

Last edited:

I certainly hope "Boys & Girls" will be reissued as a Blu-Ray Audio disc at some point, mostly cause I want a PCM version of the title to make a DVDA for Acura playback, but also because this disc is so good that it needs to come back into print at a good price so everyone can get this title, cause it's an essential part of my collection now. Universal had a perfect opportunity to reissue the album this year for its 30th anniversary, but that came and went with no fanfare unfortunately. Oh well, I'm still more concerned about any and all Roxy Music titles getting released in surround before a reissue of this one anyway. :)

Maybe that member who more or less gave away his copy of this on the forum (he traded it for two common SACDs) will want to put in a vote?

Listened to this today for the first time in one sitting. Couldn't believe how good this was. Went back and listened to Avalon right after it. I felt like it was just not quite as detailed of a mix as Avalon. I give it a 9. Thank you to whoever sold this copy to my local half price books because I never bought it when it came out. Scott

How much was it? It would be a total score to not have to buy this over the web. I'll probably be waiting for a few more years to get this. Eventually it will have to come out on Blu-ray or multi-channel download.

Last edited:
Bryan Ferry - BOYS AND GIRLS was the first CD I ever bought, just a few minutes after I bought my first CD player! (A Fisher)
I've always loved the fantastic fidelity of this release, and of course the multichannel version adds extra dimensions :banana: Luvvverly, I gave it a 9, actually I don't know why :mad:@: shood've been 10 really.

Highest rating I've given. 9
Mr. Ferry put so many instruments & effects into this. In stereo it gets kind of mushed together but it's still great.
5.1 really makes this shine. The surrounds produce a constantly changing sound field. Every instrument & effect can be distinguished.
Of course I'm a little biased. A huge Bryan Ferry fan!

Just put this on and realized I hadn’t voted in the poll.

For my money, this 5.1 mix is even better than Avalon’s. “Don’t Stop The Dance” and “Windswept” are the standouts for me. Those two tracks can be described as nothing less than full-on surround assaults. The former has what sounds like interlocking rhythm guitars and backing vocals split between the rears, and the latter has this awesome effect where the delay from the saxophone lines in the left rear travels across to the right rear. "A Waste Land"--the short bridge between the two songs--is also very cool in surround, with the vocal and synth echoes ping-ponging around the room. “Slave To Love” is mostly heavy vocal and drum delay in the rears, but some explosion-like effects show up back there during the breakdown.

As is typically the case with Bob Clearmountain’s 5.1 mixes, there’s a lot going on in the center channel - not just lead vocal, but also percussion (what sounds like a cowbell in "Slave To Love"?), and some powerful bass. It appears the center and front channels are occasionally limited to some degree, resulting in a really punchy 'in-your-face' sound on the more active tunes. If you want to see what your center speaker can do, put this disc on. I thought mine was going to explode on the first note of “Don’t Stop The Dance”.

Though the surround mix is amazing, I don’t think the content or the fidelity quite measure up to the high standards set by Avalon. Don’t get me wrong, this disc sounds fantastic - but it's not quite as ‘smooth’ and detailed. It's also quite a bit louder. Perhaps that was the intent? Musically, it's definitely not as laid-back. I also find the production to be a bit distracting at times - “Sensation” and especially “The Chosen One” (that drum sound?!) are just a bit too '80s for my tastes.

Overall, I’d say the 5.1 mix is a clear 10, the fidelity is a 9, and the album itself is an 8. Voting a “9” overall.

"Slave To Love":
Slave To Love.jpg

"Don't Stop The Dance":
Don't Stop The Dance.jpg

This is such and active mix. I love what Cleamountain did with it. The guitar pans on Slave to Love are great. There are points where I hear phantom middle speakers between the fronts and surrounds on both sides.

Sonically the SACD is amazing the bass is just so punchy throughout the entire album.

i remember listening to this disc in my bedroom during my college days. The whole album blew me away then, particularly the Chosen One. They Still do.

My only complaint ever about this album was hat it was too short, I used to hate it whe a CD was under 40 minutes. Not sure why I rated it an 8, without comment, some time ago. Maybe I wasn’t in the sweet spot. Older and wiser Madship thinks it’s a 10.

Back