Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Amazon is having their 50% off Criterion Sale, I placed an order for this 1947 noir film classic starring screen legend Tyrone Power. I only saw this film in truncated form many many moons ago on network TV but have been haunted by it ever since. 4K remastered from a 35mm nitrate composite, it also comes very highly recommended from blu.ray.com. Includes 6 Tarot cards....

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nightmare-Alley-Blu-ray/113788/#Review

23304_36_large.jpg

R.a8177209de805a42f4314fbd2139c475

Last edited:
J J Abram's SUPER 8 Native UHD4K Steelbook Edition is flawless and the Dolby Atmos soundtrack astonishing [even in 5.1]. And ALL this for less than the price of a MoFi Stereo SACD ....IMO, even MORE ASTONISHING:

712-63Br8JL._SL1500_.jpg
Excellent movie. Besides great plot, acting, FX, etc it is the best I've ever seen at recreating an earlier time period. Usually if a movie is fiction about the 70's, the 80's things get a bit exaggerated or focus on just a few tropes to represent the time. Super 8 is just dead on accurate for the late 70's.

Three Days of the Condor (1975) BD: Three Days of the Condor Blu-ray Release Date May 26, 2021
1. DTS-MA 5.1 is nice and clear but is basically a big stereo mix with some LFE and just a bit of discrete surround activity.
2. From a 4K scan which looks superb. I see there are European 4K releases so we'll probably get one in the US/UK soon.
3. Great 70's spy thriller. Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway and Max Von Sydow were all cool as, and Cliff Robertson's toupee was a scene-stealer.

Tonight I'm setting aside some time to 'wade through' this controversial Alejandro Jodorowsky's 'epic' SANTA SANGRE in Native UHD4K scanned and overseen by the director himself from the original camera negative. I'm currently spinning the included CD ...a nice bonus...and quite enjoyable!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Santa-Sangre-4K-Blu-ray/284077/#Review
A1KMEvl7qwL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
With almost NO new 3D releases, I took a chance and ordered this from AmazonUS [$15.20]. Even though the reviews were basically NEGATIVE regarding the film itself, this positive review from blu ray.com convinced me it's worth a purchase:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonder-Woman-1984-3D-Blu-ray/285941/#Review

285941_front.jpg

Let us know what the 3D is like. I've never had a 3D TV but I'm still interested in how this performs. Yeah, the sequel was very basic, especially after I found the first one to be pleasantly surprisingly fun. Love that scene where she's up over the trench!

Let us know what the 3D is like. I've never had a 3D TV but I'm still interested in how this performs. Yeah, the sequel was very basic, especially after I found the first one to be pleasantly surprisingly fun. Love that scene where she's up over the trench!

I most certainly will. While hesitant to buy this latest WW film due to poor reviews, sometimes watching a fim in 3D adds immensely to the enjoyment. I purchased one of the last LG OLED 3D TVs in 2016 and the next batch and ALL future flatscreens sadly ommitted the 3D technology. They finally perfected the 3D technology with startling results [SIGNIFICANTLY blew all those Plasma 3D TVs away] and then ceased manufacture. I swear, most of my 3D BD~Vs approximate Native UHD4K quality.

Inspired by 4-earredwonder's post yesterday, last night I watched:

Wonder Woman (2017) 4K:
1. Surround mix is not bad on this one. I didn't pick out any note-worthy discrete activity and it probably could have benefitted from me upping the levels a bit but I watched it so darn loud anyway, I might not have been able to tell much difference.
2. Fidelity is excellent - all the dialogue was nice and clear. Some huge lows from explosions and such. Wall hangings were well-crooked when it was over.
3. The 4K is probably hardly discernable from the BD - I didn't find it particularly sharp but the HDR meant for some very bright lightning. I seem to recall HDTVTest measuring them at 3,000 nits!
4. She's a great character and I found it a fun watch with a great score. Second time I've seen it. The BD in this set if Region Free too: Amazon.com

The movie Tenet, while being one of the more perplexing plots to follow (I watched it twice and still had to consult Youtube to figure it out), has a huge ATMOS surround mix with lots of LFE. One of the better ones I've watched recently, audio wise. Rented it over the weekend.

81axQLyjtDL._SX342_.jpg

The movie Tenet, while being one of the more perplexing plots to follow (I watched it twice and still had to consult Youtube to figure it out), has a huge ATMOS surround mix with lots of LFE. One of the better ones I've watched recently, audio wise. Rented it over the weekend.

81axQLyjtDL._SX342_.jpg

Glad you liked the sound but I had to agree with the multitude of reports elsewhere stating the opposite. Highly compressed, level slammed audio with the dialog track way too low in the mix. The sound made it unwatchable for some people. Cool movie idea-wise though and it looked good.

Back