Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hot Spot (1990) BD:
1. 5.1 DTS-MA has some ambient surround activity which isn't a lot of discrete action but better than nothing.
2. There's a ton of low end bass from the score. I had to drop my sub level around 4dB to get it all playing nice with the fronts.
3. Great image. The reds are dialed up but I'm guessing it was a stylistic choice.
4. It's a fun little "modern" noir. William Sadler's at his bad best. Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connelly (even with her eyebrow) are quite distracting. Well shot and directed.
5. Region A-locked BD here: Amazon.com: The Hot Spot (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]: Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly, William Sadler, Charles Martin Smith, Jerry Hardin, Barry Corbin, Leon Rippy, Jack Nance, Virgil Frye, Dennis Hopper: Movies & TV

The Hot Spot (1990) BD:
1. 5.1 DTS-MA has some ambient surround activity which isn't a lot of discrete action but better than nothing.
2. There's a ton of low end bass from the score. I had to drop my sub level around 4dB to get it all playing nice with the fronts.
3. Great image. The reds are dialed up but I'm guessing it was a stylistic choice.
4. It's a fun little "modern" noir. William Sadler's at his bad best. Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connelly (even with her eyebrow) are quite distracting. Well shot and directed.
5. Region A-locked BD here: Amazon.com: The Hot Spot (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]: Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly, William Sadler, Charles Martin Smith, Jerry Hardin, Barry Corbin, Leon Rippy, Jack Nance, Virgil Frye, Dennis Hopper: Movies & TV

Very cool film with a very cool soundtrack which Analogue Productions released as a Stereo SACD some years ago

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6356#comments
An amalgamation of swampy blues, jazz and rock - all mixed and recorded in a sparse, bloomy and eerie sort of way. This recording is just so damn fine, so airy and warm. And the musician's aboard on this Dennis Hopper film are a who's who, including Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker, Taj Mahal, Roy Rodgers, Earl Palmer and Tim Drummond. This has long been a highly sought after and collectible record among audiophiles. A true demonstration disc. Originally released in 1990. Miles Davis, trumpet Tim Drummond, bass Bradford Ellis, keyboards John Lee Hooker, guitar, vocals Taj Mahal, guitar, vocals Earl Palmer, drums Roy Rodgers, slide guitar

R.1a148e930c0cb7141b99dd67bea663d4

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/..._Soundtrack_-_The_Hot_Spot-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Last edited:
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017) 4K:
1. A few discrete surround moments from the DTS-MA 5.1. Fidelity is excellent. Great low end. You can feel the thump in your chest when punches land during the many fistfights.
2. Great script/characters/acting/direction. I'll have to check out Dragged Across Concrete. Bone Tomahawk is worth a look too.
3. I think this is the first 4K disc I've seen with no HDR and I don't think I would have guessed it was "only" SDR - dark areas are really dark and bright areas (such as torches/flashlights) are really bright.
4. Well worth the purchase (this one seems to fluctuate in price and you should be able to pick it up really cheap if you're patient): Amazon.com: Brawl In Cell Block 99 [Blu-ray]: Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Carpenter, Udo Kier, Don Johnson, Marc Blucas, Tom Guiry, Dan Amboyer, Fred Melamed, Rob Morgan, S. Craig Zahler: Movies & TV

1. A few discrete surround moments from the DTS-MA 5.1. Fidelity is excellent. Great low end. You can feel the thump in your chest when punches land during the many fistfights.
2. Great script/characters/acting/direction. I'll have to check out Dragged Across Concrete. Bone Tomahawk is worth a look too.
3. I think this is the first 4K disc I've seen with no HDR and I don't think I would have guessed it was "only" SDR - dark areas are really dark and bright areas (such as torches/flashlights) are really bright.
4. Well worth the purchase (this one seems to fluctuate in price and you should be able to pick it up really cheap if you're patient): Amazon.com: Brawl In Cell Block 99 [Blu-ray]: Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Carpenter, Udo Kier, Don Johnson, Marc Blucas, Tom Guiry, Dan Amboyer, Fred Melamed, Rob Morgan, S. Craig Zahler: Movies & TV

I paid about $8 from AmazonUS for Brawl in Cell Block 99 and was literally blown away by Vince Vaughn's brilliant performance. Although the Native UHD 4K disc lacks HDR/Dolby Vision, the rawness of the production was effectively captured. This movie is NOT for the 'faint of heart!'

R.6430d460ff97477a9c56aeb7f117975a

Last edited:

I also have the BD~V of 'Dragged Across Concrete" but haven't watched it as of yet and I consider 'Bone Tomahawk' a minor classic of sorts!

The Scorpion King [Native UHD4K/DTS:X/HDR10] Every once in awhile, to totally escape the vagaries of the current 'depressing NEWS cycles,' I like to indulge in mindless entertainment for ESCAPISM. Actually, Scorpion King with the Rock which was entirely filmed in California [?] nicely fits that bill! And for $10, WHY NOT?

71GoqE31JLL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea [Scorpion Releasing/1080p Remaster/Mono] Based on Yukio Mishima's 1963 novel and transposed from Japan to the English Coast, a powerful tale of the consequences which arise from adolescents who pursue 'perfection' only to devolve into nihilistic disenchantment....with deadly consequences.

Scorpion's remaster is uniformly excellent as is the lossless mono soundtrack.
81caHnRZb7L._SL1500_.jpg

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea [Scorpion Releasing/1080p Remaster/Mono] Based on Yukio Mishima's 1963 novel and transposed from Japan to the English Coast, a powerful tale of the consequences which arise from adolescents who pursue 'perfection' only to devolve into nihilistic disenchantment....with deadly consequences.

Scorpion's remaster is uniformly excellent as is the lossless mono soundtrack.
81caHnRZb7L._SL1500_.jpg
Good to hear. Mine's still sealed but I'm looking forward to giving it a spin!

DEATH ON THE NILE [Kino Lorber based on a 2K remaster prepared by StudioCanal/Lossless 2.0] I've finally been digging into my recent KL sales BD~Vs and while Death on the Nile isn't as 'luminous,' pictorally, as The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea, it comes recommended. Not to mention what a CAST!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Death-on-the-Nile-Blu-ray/131728/#Review

81QYfOPaiGL._SL1500_.jpg

Until the End of the World (1991) BD:
1. 5.1 DTS-MA doesn't have much going on in the surrounds unfortunately but I upped my surround levels 5dB to get at least a constant ambience. Better than nothing. There are some scenes with discrete surround action (e.g., insect noises).
2. 4K scan, restoration and colours: Superb. Cinematography: Superb. Acting/direction all spot on. I couldn't take my eyes off it.
4. It's a 4hr and 45 minute road trip epic across 2 BDs that's part Blade Runner aesthetic, part Brazil and part Come True. Lots of extras and a decent booklet. Well worth the purchase and subsequent viewing down the road I'm guessing too (last night was the first time I've seen it).
5. Decent soundtrack:
6. Half price (i.e., a reasonably-priced Criterion Collection purchase) at Amazon now. Region A-locked: Amazon.com

Just watched Annihilation streaming on Paramount+.

There's a great, mostly discrete surround mix of "Helplessly Hoping" by Crosby, Stills & Nash, from 5:11 to 6:27.

Anyone know of this CSN mix in the wilds of QQ?

Thanks,
Steve

Annihilation (2018) 4K:
1. I watched this a while ago on DVDo_O and the 4K is not surprisingly but a pleasantly massive step up.
2. I don't remember the 5.1 Dolby Digital mix on the DVD being that memorable but the Atmos (5.1 at my place) mix on the 4K is night and day. There is a lot of discrete, panning, loud action going on in all channels. Some awesome room-rattling lows too. Really, really good to hear!
3. Visuals are superb. Lots of cool colours. The HDR is really good too. Bright lights (e.g., sun, other lights) appear really bright and made me squint!
4. Some of the characters are a bit stupid but if you switch your brain off first and crank the volume, it's an enjoyable ride.
5. Well worth the purchase and will give your hardware a workout. Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Annihilation...eywords=annihilation+4k&qid=1611433486&sr=8-2 The BD with all the extras is Region free too.

Back