Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highdefdigests review of DUNE in 3D [BTW, my order is on its way]

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/100906/dune3d2021.html
dune-3d-2021.jpg

I don't get it... it's basically impossible to buy a NEW 3-D TV and YET there are BD on 3D still being released...I'd love a rational explanation...
I mean, I HAVE a few 3D BDs too and I am HAPPY they are making them , but...

We live in a CRAZY, IRRATIONAL WORLD in case you haven't noticed, KAP! When my PANNY Plasma 3D crapped out in 2016 [the 3D image was SO dark it was a bust], I opted for an LG 55" Curved 3D OLED TV and right out of the box it was SUPREMELY heads and heels above the Plasma technology. The 3D image was to put it mildly ASTONISHING and then within a year ALL 3D TVs became dinosaur relics. JUST when they PERFECTED the FORMAT it was decided upon to pull the plug. The reason: 3D, at least in the U.S. wasn't selling well. Ironically, it's still 'somewhat' popular in Japan and Europe. And we're lucky in 2022 to get at least a couple of 3D titles a year ...mostly UP CONVERSIONS...but the OLED 3D technology manages to make them look almost as great as UHD4K discs ...... and that is NOT an idle boast.

Whether they will EVER produce 3D OLED TVs again....even in LIMITED quantity ... is anyone's guess. Maybe if enough titles are produced in that format WORLDWIDE, there's that 'glimmer' of hope. But if you didn't get an OLED 3D TV before the 2017 cut off date .... you're plum out of luck for now!

Last edited:
This week's turning into a bit of a Luc Besson week:

Leon - Extended Version (1994) 4K:
1. Despite having the extended cut on the previous BD and on 4K for a few years now, I only just watched it for the first time last night and the extra scenes were great, tying up other scenes nicely. It took things up to the borderline in regards to certain relationships (which is why I'd avoided it so long) but didn't ruin anything. I think I'll be watching this cut from now on.
2. Surround mix is pretty decent with discrete surround scenes. Lows are spectacular from the score and sound design. Had to drop the sub a few dB from it's usual position.
3. https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Professional-Blu-ray-Danny-Aiello/dp/B072873M1B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=I5SJ3CEMCPHJ&keywords=leon+4k&qid=1642537346&sprefix=leon+4k,aps,271&sr=8-1

The Big Blue - Director's Cut (1987) BD:
1. Only stereo but the receiver made a decent surround up-mix out of it.
2. Such a cool flick.
3. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Blue-Blu-ray-Rosanna-Arquette/dp/B002RNOS3I/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TO0BFS4012JK&keywords=the+big+blue+blu+ray&qid=1642537399&sprefix=the+big+blue+blu+ray,aps,264&sr=8-1

Subway (1985) BD:
Dual mono but another Luc Besson gem with great music, humour and Isabelle Adjani: https://www.amazon.com/Subway-Blu-ray-Isabelle-Adjani/dp/B002BC9YVQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=30IXKL3OMMGKG&keywords=subway+blu+ray&qid=1642537544&sprefix=subway+blu+ray,aps,263&sr=8-2
I watched Leon in 4K for the first time this week as well and really appreciated the sound on it. Always enjoyed that one!

Last week I checked out Requiem For A Dream on 4K UHD. Somehow I never saw this film and it's a unique one. Pretty dark stuff but man, what an Atmos mix!

Highdefdigests review of DUNE in 3D [BTW, my order is on its way]

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/100906/dune3d2021.html
dune-3d-2021.jpg

My copy arrived today and I hurriedly placed it into my trusty OPPO 205 and beheld what I consider to be an EXCELLENT upconversion at least on my LG OLED 3D TV.

I only wish the IMAX image which would have filled up the entire screen had been maintained [like the Avengers in 3D]. But IMO, a small price to pay for such an lillustrious 3D remaster. Depth was fine and you could almost tell that a 3D upconversion was intended as the framing of objects was conducive to the 3D format.

LOVED the movie as well. Thought it was well cast and the pacing for a 2'35" film was exceptional. CANNOT WAIT FOR PART II.

I am SO enamored with Warner's 3D release that I'm in no rush to upgrade to Native UHD4K ...... when Amazon blows it out for $15, or less ... I WILL BUY!

I love that film, and I love the Nerdwriter's short video essay below on how Lynch makes us drop our guard only to then take us by surprise and wow our minds. Brilliant stuff from both.

I've been a RABID Lynch fanboy since TWIN PEAKS debuted on my 30" SONY TV set in 480p and monaural sound on April 8, 1990! A few weeks ago before Criterion released their Native UHD4K edition of Mullholand Drive, I finally dug out my Criterion 1080p edition and of course was again seduced by Lynch's obtuse imagery and sleight of mindnumbing seqences.

Last week I watched Kino Lorber's incredible remaster of LOST HIGHWAY and again both picture and Lynch's astounding all enveloping 5.1 soundtrack lured me into his exotic netherworld of twists, turns and visual chicanery!

And how many of us have ever fully recovered from ERASERHEAD .......STILL Hard to watch but impossible to turn away from! NIHILISM at its FINEST?

R.954962b081118a7393cfa6cce30202b7

And, BTW, The LOG LADY SENDS HER REGARDS

R.6adbf6e66706700e8b0bd650c54a4505

Last edited:
I've been a RABID Lynch fanboy since TWIN PEAKS debuted on my 30" SONY TV set in 480p and monaural sound on April 8, 1990! A few weeks ago before Criterion released their Native UHD4K edition of Mullholand Drive, I finally dug out my Criterion 1080p edition and of course was again seduced by Lynch's obtuse imagery and sleight of mindnumbing seqences.

Last week I watched Kino Lorber's incredible remaster of LOST HIGHWAY and again both picture and Lynch's astounding all enveloping 5.1 soundtrack lured me into his exotic netherworld of twists, turns and visual chicanery!

And how many of us have ever fully recovered from ERASERHEAD .......STILL Hard to watch but impossible to turn away from! NIHILISM at its FINEST?

"This is 'now,' and now will never be again.... We come from the elemental, and return to it. There is change, but nothing is lost. There is much we cannot see – air, for instance, most of the time – but knowing our next breath will follow our last without fail is an act of faith. Is it not? Dark times will always come, as night follows day. A dark age will test us all, each and every one. Trust and do not tremble in the face of the unknown. It shall not remain unknown to you for long. Robert knows this now, as will we all in the sweet by-and-by"

Yep. Great use of the word obtuse by the way. I think it's a cracker but it so seldom makes an appearance in day-to-day communication (y)

Whenever I see Tilda Swinton, I think, "baby from Eraserhead".

Heat and Dust (1983) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 is pretty decent with discrete surround moments of birds, insects and score.
2. 4K transfer so it's looking sharp.
3. Another atmospheric, expertly-directed and enjoyable Merchant Ivory production.
4. Susan Fleetwood (Mick's sister) has a tiny role. She had great comic timing.
5. I got this BFI one: Heat and Dust (+ Autobiography of a Princess) (2-disc Blu-ray): Amazon.co.uk: Julie Christie, Greta Scacchi, Shashi Kapoor, Madhur Jaffrey, James Ivory, Julie Christie, Greta Scacchi: DVD & Blu-ray which is a 2-disc release with more extras than this single-disc US release: Amazon.com: Heat and Dust [Blu-ray] : Julie Christie: Movies & TV

IS THIS A NOT VERY SUBTLE REFERENCE TO REN AND STIMPY???? LOL

Back