Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread about the different surround mixes of The Who Tommy sent me down a rabbit hole.
Saw the 1975 Ken Russel film extravaganza when it came out with the future mrs wave.
Hadn't caught more than snatches on TV since then.
Recalled the cameos by Clapton, Elton, Tina, Ringo, et al.
Forgot there's not a moment in the whole 110 minutes where the soundtrack is not playing.
Not a word of dialog is spoken, everything is sung.

Originally released in glorious new quintophonic surround.
Got the steel book blu ray for $2.50 more than the plastic case.
Amazon.com

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.14.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.11.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 2.08.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Watched this last night in Native UHD4K ... The extended Zack Synder DIRECTOR'S CUT with 30 minutes added in both IMAX and 2:35.1 aspect ratios with a stunning Dolby Atmos soundtrack and more accurate color temperature over the previous UHD4K release. Running time 3'2". IMO, superior to the theatrical cut and definitely better than Warner's original UHD4K version! Currently only $10.99 @ AmazonUS.

51Fro3IW0fL.jpg

Last edited:
The thread about the different surround mixes of The Who Tommy sent me down a rabbit hole.
Saw the 1975 Ken Russel film extravaganza when it came out with the future mrs wave.
Hadn't caught more than snatches on TV since then.
Recalled the cameos by Clapton, Elton, Tina, Ringo, et al.
Forgot there's not a moment in the whole 110 minutes where the soundtrack is not playing.
Not a word of dialog is spoken, everything is sung.

Originally released in glorious new quintophonic surround.
Got the steel book blu ray for $2.50 more than the plastic case.
Amazon.com

View attachment 75403

View attachment 75404

View attachment 75405
I first saw this on TV in 1984. I bought the Region 4 DVD which was pan and scan and stereo only in 2002. Then I bought the Region 1 DVD which was widescreen and had the 'quintaphonic' soundtrack in 2006. Finally, I bought the blu-ray in 2011. Oh, and I have the mobile fidelity cd of the album, the SACD, DVD-A and blu ray of the original album too. I guess I must be a big Tommy fan. :p

Watched this last night in Native UHD4K ... The extended Zack Synder DIRECTOR'S CUT with 30 minutes added in both IMAX and 2:35.1 aspect ratios with a stunning Dolby Atmos soundtrack and more accurate color temperature over the previous UHD4K release. Running time 3'2". IMO, superior to the theatrical cut and definitely better than Warner's original UHD4K version! Currently only $10.99 @ AmazonUS.

51Fro3IW0fL.jpg
Good to hear! I remember the BD I rented from the local store (R.I.P. United Video) having a particularly active surround mix. I never understood all the flack this movie got. I found it no better or worse than most superhero movies. They're all very average and none of them are Gone With the Wind. Before I spin one up; brain off, volume up!

Good to hear! I remember the BD I rented from the local store (R.I.P. United Video) having a particularly active surround mix. I never understood all the flack this movie got. I found it no better or worse than most superhero movies. They're all very average and none of them are Gone With the Wind. Before I spin one up; brain off, volume up!

This is actually a rather morose humorless flick with the two super heroes in mortal combat with each other but the added 30 minutes did add more context to the story and as always, the CGI was brilliant as was the sound design....although, and not to sound cruel, Amy Adams was a bit too old as Lois Lane to play Henry Cavill as Superman's love interest. There is a nine year age difference .......or in Hollywood terms ... an ETERNITY [LOL]

Last edited:
Next, here’s a surprise from Warner Archive for a March 2022 release. They’re working on a new Blu-ray release of George Pal and Henry Levin’s The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962), mastered from new 4K scans of the original Cinerama camera negatives, and featuring the film in both letterboxed widescreen and “Smilebox” format! This will be a 2-disc Deluxe Special Edition, offering 3 new featurettes (Rescuing a Fantasy Classic, The Epic Art of The Brothers Grimm, and The Wonderful Career of George Pal), along with trailers, audio-only pieces, and more TBA. Audio will be DTS~HD MA 5.1
The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm (Blu-ray Disc)

Last edited:
Next, here’s a surprise from Warner Archive for a March 2022 release. They’re working on a new Blu-ray release of George Pal and Henry Levin’s The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962), mastered from new 4K scans of the original Cinerama camera negatives, and featuring the film in both letterboxed widescreen and “Smilebox” format! This will be a 2-disc Deluxe Special Edition, offering 3 new featurettes (Rescuing a Fantasy Classic, The Epic Art of The Brothers Grimm, and The Wonderful Career of George Pal), along with trailers, audio-only pieces, and more TBA. Audio will be DTS~HD MA 5.1
The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm (Blu-ray Disc)

Wow, that looks interesting! I'm shocked I've never heard of that one. Jim Backus.....loved him!

In Memoriam for actress Yvette Mimieux who appeared in the original H.G. Wells THE TIME MACHINE, Light in the Piazza, Diamond Head, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Disney's THE BLACK HOLE and countless other motion pictures

See the source image

1942 ~ 2022, age 80

Back