Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3D on my older Panny Plasma TV was so dark as to be unwatchable. But on the LG OLED TV, it's a revelation ... almost rivaling 4K. As stated, I do appreciate natural lighting but obscuring the image with overemphasized 'inky' black levels is ridiculous. Sorry to hear Criterion's MATEWAN was a victim as I've always admired this John Sayle's classic. Do you know if Matewan was either 'director approved' or given the green light by Matewan's cinematographer?

edit: For what it's worth, here is blu.ray.com's review of MATEWAN

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Matewan-Blu-ray/103376/#Review
Yeah, it says John Sayles approved the restoration but Haskell Wexler shot it so he ain't around to give it the thumbs-up. I think the super dark black levels are just a thing that Criterion do. I've seen side-by-side screen caps of their releases of movies with the British release and the Criterion ones are just way too dark. The good thing is that a modernish TV will allow you to monkey with things to get 'em looking right.

Yeah, it says John Sayles approved the restoration but Haskell Wexler shot it so he ain't around to give it the thumbs-up. I think the super dark black levels are just a thing that Criterion do. I've seen side-by-side screen caps of their releases of movies with the British release and the Criterion ones are just way too dark. The good thing is that a modernish TV will allow you to monkey with things to get 'em looking right.

What I find even weirder, highdefdigest has been publishing comparison pics in their reviews detailing the newer UHD4K remasters compared to prior BD~V transfers and myself and even some of the posters on their site remark how the older BD~V pics look BETTER than the Native UHD4K remasters:

Example:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/102468/intheheatofthenight4kultrahdbluray.html

What I find even weirder, highdefdigest has been publishing comparison pics in their reviews detailing the newer UHD4K remasters compared to prior BD~V transfers and myself and even some of the posters on their site remark how the older BD~V pics look BETTER than the Native UHD4K remasters:

Example:

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/102468/intheheatofthenight4kultrahdbluray.html
Yes, things are VERY close in terms of how they look these days. Colour profiles in the players and TV settings can dramatically change how things appear too.

I recently saw The Batman in the cinema. It's well worth watching.
The Batman will definitely test how well calibrated your OLED is, particularly in terms of black crush/near black handling. :D

In terms of a movie, I thought it was the best Batman movie in a very long time.

I have NO doubt that when the critically acclaimed THE BATMAN is released by Warners as a Native UHD4K disc replete with HDR10+, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos it will look and sound spectacular. I should backtrack and spill the beans that I DVRed it from Verizon FIOS HBO [not MAX] and the image was, shall we say, way too dark for my taste and my LG OLED TV looks spectacular on 99.9% of my UHD4K discs, 3D discs and BD~Vs coupled with the OPPO 205.

And in almost EVERY instance, streaming discs, even in 4K, from my experience, is usually subpar compared to the actual 4K disc itself due to bandwidth limitations.

71o-K2DYD0L._SL1500_.jpg

The Batman will definitely test how well calibrated your OLED is, particularly in terms of black crush/near black handling. :D
I'd love to see how that sequence towards the end where he's holding the flare in the flooded stadium would look on an OLED set, my Samsung LED couldn't handle the contrast. Easily the best Batman film since The Dark Knight, I thought Pattinson killed it.

I'd love to see how that sequence towards the end where he's holding the flare in the flooded stadium would look on an OLED set, my Samsung LED couldn't handle the contrast. Easily the best Batman film since The Dark Knight, I thought Pattinson killed it.
I have a new Sony 77A80j sitting in a box, waiting for my remodel to finish (stalled out thanks to logistics/supply chain issues). I had it professionally calibrated prior to shipping, so I am itching to go with this. I've already pre-ordered the 4K UHD and yep, that exact scene is the one I cannot wait to try.

I recently saw The Batman in the cinema. It's well worth watching.
Finally finished it. It was a very good movie and I am glad I watched it (and may watch it again). Not sure how I liked this version of "the Batman" overall. They definitely played up the vigilante side and less so the "superhero" which made the movie more grounded and realistic. I would still give the Christian Bale Batman the edge.
I would say that this would be a great movie to test how well any TV handles shades of black.

Dune (2021) 4K:
1. I'm a bit late to the party with Dune but I watched it the other night and it has great surround and LFE throughout. Definitely worth a watch for these alone.
2. Even at 2.5hrs, it just kinda gets going and then it ends so I'm guessing it'll be one that gets watched back-to-back once Part 2 comes out.
3. Does anyone know for sure if Terence Stamp narrates Paul's videos? I couldn't find official confirmation online but by golly, it sounds like him.

Dune (2021) 4K:
1. I'm a bit late to the party with Dune but I watched it the other night and it has great surround and LFE throughout. Definitely worth a watch for these alone.
2. Even at 2.5hrs, it just kinda gets going and then it ends so I'm guessing it'll be one that gets watched back-to-back once Part 2 comes out.
3. Does anyone know for sure if Terence Stamp narrates Paul's videos? I couldn't find official confirmation online but by golly, it sounds like him.

Have no idea if that's Terence Stamp's voice. I know, at age 83, he's still active and appears in LAST NIGHT IN SOHO [which is on my must see list]. I recently watched DUNE 2021 in 3D and thought it was an awesome experience. Cannot wait for Part Deux!

Have no idea if that's Terence Stamp's voice. I know, at age 83, he's still active and appears in LAST NIGHT IN SOHO [which is on my must see list]. I recently watched DUNE 2021 in 3D and thought it was an awesome experience. Cannot wait for Part Deux!

I recently watched Dune 2021 in 3D also, having seen it twice on HBO Max with Atmos. Love this movie and all things Dune!

The sound was a downgrade, and 3D not living up to the Blu-ray.com review. Could be my set up (Panasonic AE8000U 1080P projector) but other 3D movies, notably native 3D, were more satisfying, with fewer artifacts.

I'm going to take a break from Dune for a while, and then watch the blu-ray to hear the uncompressed Atmos track (and wonderful Hans Zimmer soundtrack), and get back to the saturated bright shots of the desert planet (vs. murky experience I got in 3D).

I'm excited about Dune The Sisterhood on HBO in 2023. Though no longer getting Villeneuve directing the first two episodes, it may appear ahead of Dune 2.

I was in the mood for a big splashy musical tonight and this Native UHD4K disc replete with HDR10, Dolby Vision and an exquisite Dolby ATMOS soundtrack nicely fit the bill. Despite all the mixed reviews, I LOVED IT! A BIG movie with an even BIGGER

R.cbf1a81b5ac8c4b78210b5b0e1999425

So the undisputed best Atmos movie track of March Moonfall, got trumped by the Atmos track in Ambulance.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins Blu-ray

DTS 2.0 Dolby Surround encoded, 1st time I've seen the WS version since 1985-10 (have the VHS and DVD P&S), a moderate amount surround sound, too bad there weren't sequels.

Kirk Bayne

Back