Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to link to a better worded review when I watch something to supplement my comments.
In almost all cases, the blacks and depth have been marked increases.
Most dramatic improvements that I have seen to date (116 movies):
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II (have not watched 3 yet)
Lord Of The Rings (all 3)
Dracula (1939)
Pitch Black

Pitch Black is probably the best example there. The original on DVD and BR is so dark that most of the off-center action is indiscernible. On 4k you can see everything.

I've been watching True Blood for the last few weeks and although the plot's as daft as anything, the opening title song is an absolute killer (Bad Things by Jace Everett). In fact, I reckon the opening line is one of the best opening lines ever written as it nails the darker vibe of the show in eight words: "When you came in, the air went out"

As an aside, the overall sound design is excellent, as the ambient sounds, as well as the accompanying score, always seem to enhance what you're seeing on screen. For example, every outdoor scene comes with all the noises you'd expect to hear from nature in those parts of the woods; heck, sometimes you hear all that nature in some indoor scenes as well, like if there's a window open or whatever. In some ways, it's not surprising what with it being an HBO production and all. The action in the rear channels tends to be nature and atmospheric but sometimes you get actual action as well. Regardless, it's a hoot of a show with an excellent theme song and excellent sound design to match.

I received my set yesterday and started to watch it again. Wow! the 5.1 surround sound is very good.

I try to link to a better worded review when I watch something to supplement my comments.
In almost all cases, the blacks and depth have been marked increases.
Most dramatic improvements that I have seen to date (116 movies):
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II (have not watched 3 yet)
Lord Of The Rings (all 3)
Dracula (1939)
Pitch Black

Pitch Black is probably the best example there. The original on DVD and BR is so dark that most of the off-center action is indiscernible. On 4k you can see everything.
Yep, Pitch Black on 4K is a huge improvement over the previous BD. Could be the best I've seen. Colours are fantastic.

Can I ask a quick, general question about 4k/ HDR picture quality?

I currently have 1080p HD (screen and player). I have been very impressed with some films - the difference between SD and HD is astounding. But others have quite a lot of grain or soft focus and the BD upgrade does not seem so impressive. (And don't get me started on films made this century - they all seem to have the colour washed out and digital film grain added.) So... while I am tempted to get a 4k screen and player, I am wondering if I might often be disappointed. I'm guessing the classic 50s and 60s 35/70mm films look great, which is the kind of thing I like. Maybe people can give a one or two word description of the pic quality when they mention a film? I know I could go to a different forum but, hey, why would I do that?! (Obviously I'm not intending this thread to be sidelined into long discsussions about pic quality but a few words wouldn't get in the way. But if people want to answer this with a general feeling on pic quality that would be great.)
Generally, there is a distinction between UHD4K films which are upscaled [meaning their source material is NOT 4K but 'upconverted' from 2K digital sources] and NATIVE UHD4K which are sourced from either 35/70mm masters or 4K or higher digital masters.

Whenever I post a movie I try to include a review which usually goes into further detail about the source material and find thedigitalbits website usually supplies more details about the source material including cameras utilized. And might I reiterate: by posting these films I am ONLY the messenger and don't necessarily endorse them as personal favorites.

Should you upgrade to a 4K monitor and player? IMO, absolutely! Personally, I've had my LG OLED 3D 4K monitor for 6 years and have continually been WOWED by its astounding presentation. And with the addition of an OPPO 205 4K player, I have achieved what I consider video NIRVANA. And a 4K player also UPSAMPLES 1080p to 4K ..... although don't expect it to emulate Native 4K ..... but you will experience a substantial improvement over a standard 2K picture from a blu ray player!

Hope this has been some help. And the cherry on the top: Keep an eye out for sales because sometimes you can purchase a bona fide Native UHD4K movie for way less than even a standard 1080p BD~V disc and in some cases cheaper than a 480p DVD. And yes, the majors are STILL manufacturing DVDs in 2022!

Coming October 11 from VCI Entertainment and director Alan Ormsby the 'cult' favorite [Native UHD4K/LPCM 2.0 MONO]

811rhq2VnEL._SL1500_.jpg

I currently have 1080p HD (screen and player). I have been very impressed with some films - the difference between SD and HD is astounding. But others have quite a lot of grain or soft focus and the BD upgrade does not seem so impressive. (And don't get me started on films made this century - they all seem to have the colour washed out and digital film grain added.) So... while I am tempted to get a 4k screen and player, I am wondering if I might often be disappointed. I'm guessing the classic 50s and 60s 35/70mm films look great, which is the kind of thing I like. Maybe people can give a one or two word description of the pic quality when they mention a film? I know I could go to a different forum but, hey, why would I do that?! (Obviously I'm not intending this thread to be sidelined into long discsussions about pic quality but a few words wouldn't get in the way. But if people want to answer this with a general feeling on pic quality that would be great.)
2 cents from the bottom of the planet:

1. Yep, get a 4K screen and player. Once you get everything dialed in the way you want it, you won't be disappointed. The first 4K movie I watched was Christine and in the first few seconds I was like, "OK, looks a bit different", then after about 10 minutes, the colour and resolution improvements became apparent and I was all, "Wow, this is awesome."

2. Presets on TVs are typically garbage and need a significant monkeying with to get them looking how you want it. 4K movies with HDR tend to look dim and washed-out compared to BD but once you select an appropriate preset on your screen, then get into the settings and adjust them, it'll start looking how you want it. Dolby Vision was another one for me that looked horrible right out of the box but after some button-presses, now looks fantastic.

3. There are other factors that make a significant difference to how an image looks including the colour profile that the player outputs and those of your TV. Some players have more/different colour profiles than others also. I have 1 4K player, a Region A BD player + a media player and all result in a different image. Add to this streaming content and I have about 5 TV presets that I toggle through to get the image I want. Plus, I tend to monkey within a preferred setting once I start a movie too as some presentations can completely obscure detail in the shadows (adjusting the black level helps here) while other film grain/digital noise can make it look like there's a snowstorm happening in the background.

4. So, don't be put off when you start your first 4K movie. It'll look horrible until you make it look good. If you're like me, you'll probably find yourself getting fussy every few months too and having a bit of an overhaul of your image settings. I find this is often down to a subjective preference on my part though.

5. In terms of 4K content, everything I've seen (including 4K upscales from 2K content) is at least a bit better than its BD release, and usually a significant upgrade. I've only seen one 4K disc that's probably not worth the 4K upgrade and it's The Big Lebowski. Great flick, horribly lazy transfer. Everything else looks as good as it ever has.

Happy viewing!

The thing with older movies shot on film is that you can basically scan it at whatever resolution you want and when a studio does a proper native 4K restoration with a good HDR pass the results can be spectacular. Newer movies don’t benefit as much because most of them are actually 2K DI’s that have been upscaled. Still, with the benefit of HDR, it’s probably better than the Blu-ray version.

The thing that impresses me the most is definitely HDR, it’s honestly insane how the lighting looks compared to regular Blu-ray, and I have a pretty modest 4K TV. The 4K resolution itself I’d say is a minute difference.

The best 4k experiences I’ve had are:
Lord of the Rings
The Godfather
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Dune (2021)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Aquaman (2K upscale)
Spartacus (1960)
The Shining
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Indiana Jones Trilogy (the previous Blu-rays from 10 years ago had the colors completely skewed towards orange, this 4K edition presents the films in a much more natural way, with a beautiful layer of grain and looks pretty much like an original film print you’d see back when the movies originally came out.)
Back to the future trilogy
Alien
Schindler’s List
Joker
Overlord (2018)

6 years ago I’d say investing in 4K wouldn’t be worth it, but now the format has lots of content, both with physical media and streaming, so I’d say it’s totally worth it in 2022. Compare any of the previously issued Blu-rays with the 4K versions above and you’ll be stunned.

Last edited:
The thing with older movies shot on film is that you can basically scan it at whatever resolution you want and when a studio does a proper native 4K restoration with a good HDR pass the results can be spectacular. Newer movies don’t benefit as much because most of them are actually 2K DI’s that have been upscaled. Still, with the benefit of HDR, it’s probably better than the Blu-ray version.

The thing that impresses me the most is definitely HDR, it’s honestly insane how the lighting looks compared to regular Blu-ray, and I have a pretty modest 4K TV. The 4K resolution itself I’d say is a minute difference.

The best 4k experiences I’ve had are:
Lord of the Rings
The Godfather
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Dune (2021)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Spartacus (1960)
The Shining
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Indiana Jones Trilogy (the previous Blu-rays from 10 years ago had the colors completely skewed towards orange, this 4K edition presents the films in a much more natural way, with a beautiful layer of grain and looks pretty much like an original film print you’d see back when the movies originally came out.)
Back to the future trilogy
Alien
Schindler’s List
Joker
Overlord (2018)

6 years ago I’d say investing in 4K wouldn’t be worth it, but now the format has lots of content, both with physical media and streaming, so I’d say it’s totally worth it in 2022. Compare any of the previously issued Blu-rays with the 4K versions above and you’ll be stunned.
Yes indeed, HDR makes a huge difference!

Dang, I forgot about Overlord. I remember it being a decent surround mix. I'll have to spin it up again and take another look.

Yes indeed, HDR makes a huge difference!

Dang, I forgot about Overlord. I remember it being a decent surround mix. I'll have to spin it up again and take another look.
Decent doesn’t even begin to describe it, haha. The opening drop sequence is reference quality. All kinds of stuff zipping throughout the soundfield. I don’t have Atmos but I’d imagine it’s even better with the added height channels.

Thanks all for your considered replies. Good to hear that an upgrade will be worthwhile!

Baz Luhrmann's KALEIDOSCOPIC approach to filmmaking [Moulin Rouge, Romeo & Juliet. The Great Gatsby] is best savored in small doses. My cousin who was not even an Elvis fan thought it was EXCELLENT!
I enjoyed it at the theater, though I found some elements of it difficult, and even annoying. I’ll watch it again sometime then decide about buying it.

Back