Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't a regular watcher of That '70s Show - I bought a DVD w/10 eps. at Kmart several years ago - since it takes place in the quad era, was quadraphonic sound ever mentioned?

Kirk Bayne

I wasn't a regular watcher of That '70s Show - I bought a DVD w/10 eps. at Kmart several years ago - since it takes place in the quad era, was quadraphonic sound ever mentioned?

Kirk Bayne
I'm still on the first season which is hilarious but no mention of QUAD as of yet. And this IS a massive upgrade from the DVDs ......plenty of immersive audio and some great 70's tunes!

Exceeded my expectations!

Thanks and I wish you the same.

Hope you're all taking advantage of Black Friday sales on UHD4K and even BD~Vs ......some GREAT selections [and some not so great].
All 5 Despicable Me / Minion flicks right at $50 on 4k.
Heavy Metal
Expendables 1-3
Some Criterion BR.
Yep, sales have been good to me.

Nope (2022) 4K:

1. An active, discrete surround mix and some room-rattling lows. Worth it for these alone.

2. Fidelity is great except for the 2 leads Daniel and Keke. Lots of dialogue-mumbling from these two. I didn't have to switch the subtitles on but it took a second or two to process what they'd just said.

3. I had to increase the black level on my TV way more than I think I've done for any other HDR movie (no Dolby Vision on this one) as my typical setting was just too dark. Not a major, but just a FYI if you pop it in and think you left your welder's helmet on. Once I made the adjustment, everything looked fine. Weird choice to have it so dark though.

4. Another goodie from Jordan Peele. Worth a purchase I reckon and future spins.

5. Terry Notary has a small role and was also in Danish flick The Square The Square (2017) - IMDb This dude don't need no CGI to make him scary! Check out the extras on the BD to witness the terror.

Heat (1995) 4K:

1. The same DTS-MA 5.1 audio as the previous BD release and everything sounds awesome in every respect.

2. Lots of bleating on the forums about the HDR being too dark but if you adjust the black level on your screen, you can get it looking good.

3. The whole image looks like it's been given a new colour grade. There's more yellow prevalent and red levels look like they've been reduced significantly. Skin tones sometimes look a bit washed-out (Val), Pacino looks a little bit paler, but Dennis Haysbert and Mykelti Williamson have rich, deep brown skin tones, so it doesn't appear to be a simple "washing-out" of the colours.

4. I did some comparisons of the new 4K with HDR on and off, HLG, and also compared to the previous BD release, and they all have their pros and cons. The previous BD (taken from this same 4K scan as the new 4K) is VERY close in terms of perceived resolution but the colours are way brighter in comparison with the 4K with HDR on. The HDR kinda looks like it's a "veil" between your eyes and the image so you gotta question how dynamic the range is compared to the previous BD. I rarely read about HDR being measured. Vincent at HDR Test used to do it on a few videos but I think he had a specific monitor that would allow it only for a short time.

5. So, I've found this new 4K colour grade to be a strange choice but at least we have multiple viewing options. It would have been better without the new colour grade. If it hadn't been done, no one would have said, "Gee, I wish they'd washed out the colours more and made the while whole thing look like it had been shot at magic hour".

BIG entertainment coming from Warner Archives on December 6th ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN [1080p/DTS~HD MA 2.0 MONO]

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/111255/attackofthe50ftwoman.html
61XTEkFi+GL._SL1000_.jpg

Heat (1995) 4K:

1. The same DTS-MA 5.1 audio as the previous BD release and everything sounds awesome in every respect.

2. Lots of bleating on the forums about the HDR being too dark but if you adjust the black level on your screen, you can get it looking good.

3. The whole image looks like it's been given a new colour grade. There's more yellow prevalent and red levels look like they've been reduced significantly. Skin tones sometimes look a bit washed-out (Val), Pacino looks a little bit paler, but Dennis Haysbert and Mykelti Williamson have rich, deep brown skin tones, so it doesn't appear to be a simple "washing-out" of the colours.

4. I did some comparisons of the new 4K with HDR on and off, HLG, and also compared to the previous BD release, and they all have their pros and cons. The previous BD (taken from this same 4K scan as the new 4K) is VERY close in terms of perceived resolution but the colours are way brighter in comparison with the 4K with HDR on. The HDR kinda looks like it's a "veil" between your eyes and the image so you gotta question how dynamic the range is compared to the previous BD. I rarely read about HDR being measured. Vincent at HDR Test used to do it on a few videos but I think he had a specific monitor that would allow it only for a short time.

5. So, I've found this new 4K colour grade to be a strange choice but at least we have multiple viewing options. It would have been better without the new colour grade. If it hadn't been done, no one would have said, "Gee, I wish they'd washed out the colours more and made the while whole thing look like it had been shot at magic hour".
Pete, sounds like I should just hold onto my 1080p for the time being. I'm not a big fan of desaturated colors and if the soundtrack hasn't been upgraded, a further excuse!

It does pay to read multiple reviews of UHD4K discs as not all are really 'upgrades' at all. Very disappointed in Paramount's Native UHD4K of Saturday Night Fever as the audio portion containing all that great Bee Gees music received a dismal review.

I recall inserting the Native UHD4K of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK into my OPPO 205 player and gasping at the ineptitude of the very dark and bland transfer. That bad boy went back to Amazon. You'd think the best of the original SW Trilogy wouldn't garnered more respect!

And yet a lot of B movies receive magnificent 4K upgrades in terms of picture and remastered sonics usually accomplished by those smaller reissue companies like ARROW Video and even Germany's Turbine Media. And Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream also seem to take extra pride in their 4K releases.

Pete, sounds like I should just hold onto my 1080p for the time being. I'm not a big fan of desaturated colors and if the soundtrack hasn't been upgraded, a further excuse!

It does pay to read multiple reviews of UHD4K discs as not all are really 'upgrades' at all. Very disappointed in Paramount's Native UHD4K of Saturday Night Fever as the audio portion containing all that great Bee Gees music received a dismal review.

I recall inserting the Native UHD4K of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK into my OPPO 205 player and gasping at the ineptitude of the very dark and bland transfer. That bad boy went back to Amazon. You'd think the best of the original SW Trilogy wouldn't garnered more respect!

And yet a lot of B movies receive magnificent 4K upgrades in terms of picture and remastered sonics usually accomplished by those smaller reissue companies like ARROW Video and even Germany's Turbine Media. And Kino Lorber and Shout/Scream also seem to take extra pride in their 4K releases.
I agree in all respects. I doubt Heat will get another go around for years so perhaps the previous BD is the one to keep. You can always watch it with sunglasses on to approximate the HDR on the 4K if you feel the need!

You'd think the best of the original SW Trilogy wouldn't garnered more respect
If you’re looking for that, you’re not gonna find it on any official Fox home video releases.

Try and seek out the TN1 4K77 and 4K83 fan made recreations floating around the internet, taken from ORIGINAL 35mm prints screened in 1977, 1980, etc. scanned and restored at 4K. These feature none of the Special Edition garbage Lucas added later on (Han shoots first on these 4K fan edits). They are breathtaking to look at and are my go-to’s when watching the original trilogy. Not to mention they feature a slew of audio options, including a remastered version of the original 70mm six-track mix, as well as a very rare work print mono mix with alternate sound effects!

Last I checked they were working on cleaning up Empire Strikes Back and are close to release.

If you’re looking for that, you’re not gonna find it on any official Fox home video releases.

Try and seek out the TN1 4K77 and 4K83 fan made recreations floating around the internet, taken from ORIGINAL 35mm prints screened in 1977, 1980, etc. scanned and restored at 4K. These feature none of the Special Edition garbage Lucas added later on (Han shoots first on these 4K fan edits). They are breathtaking to look at and are my go-to’s when watching the original trilogy. Not to mention they feature a slew of audio options, including a remastered version of the original 70mm six-track mix, as well as a very rare work print mono mix with alternate sound effects!

Last I checked they were working on cleaning up Empire Strikes Back and are close to release.
ALL NEWS TO ME. Never knew these existed. Will you please post when EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is fully restored. Fox's 'Native UHD4K' restoration was a travesty!

ALL NEWS TO ME. Never knew these existed. Will you please post when EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is fully restored. Fox's 'Native UHD4K' restoration was a travesty!
Just checked their website and there is a beta version available somewhere on the net. These were really tricky to find but well worth it once you do. You can view some samples on their website:

https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k80/
These prints are not going to be to everyone’s tastes as they fully embrace the intended look of the source material. Some shots are grainier than others, darker in some spots but it’s all supposed to look how it would’ve been seen theatrically back in the day.

On December 6th, PARAMOUNT HOME VIDEO will release the Native UHD4K transfer of Quentin Tarantino's PULP FICTION [HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS~HD MA 5.1]. Also available in a Steelbook Edition

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pulp-Fiction-4K-Blu-ray/252780/#Review
81d2CoIjg-L._SL1500_.jpg
Given Paramount’s recent track record with catalogue 4K releases I was worried they’d screw this one up too, but it looks like Pulp Fiction has gotten the same care that Reservoir Dogs got. Saw some SDR screen caps online and it looks to be reference quality. Not too pleased with the cover art though, but it could be a lot worse.

Given Paramount’s recent track record with catalogue 4K releases I was worried they’d screw this one up too, but it looks like Pulp Fiction has gotten the same care that Reservoir Dogs got. Saw some SDR screen caps online and it looks to be reference quality. Not too pleased with the cover art though, but it could be a lot worse.
Agreed with the lackluster cover art which is why I'm going to opt for the limited Steelbook Edition

71BPuo3HzQL._SL1500_.jpg

Pulp Fiction - Limited Edition Steelbook

Deep Discount has it on pre~order for $22.99!

Pulp Fiction (Limited Edition Steelbook) Steelbook, 4K Mastering, With Blu-ray, Widescreen on DeepDiscount

Back