Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOLY YIKES .......

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/113012/avatarthewayofwaterreview.html

R.cea234f865cec217866c7f809b4160c4

And the third AVATAR sequel is supposedly coming in 2024! And I believe Cameron shot The Way of Water @ a frame rate of 60 fps and in NATIVE 3D which is a potent combo indeed ........But at almost 3 1/2 hours in length ...... overkill
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-three-hour-avatar-sequel-i-dont-want-whining Cameron also expressed defiance in the face of those who might balk at the film’s three-hour runtime.

“I don’t want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch [television] for eight hours,” he said.
“It’s like, give me a fucking break. I’ve watched my kids sit and do five one-hour episodes in a row.
Here’s the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: it’s OK to get up and go pee.”

https://wapo.st/3WhpTvP
“The Way of Water,” which is being shown in 3-D and 48-frames-per-second (double the standard), also means a new generation of technological advancement. While it’s unlikely to be as much a milestone as the first was visually, the blend of CGI and live action, above ground and under water, makes for an even more strikingly detailed vistas.
“We’re able to deliver a much greater ability of photorealism than we ever did before,” says producer Jon Landau. “When we made the first movie, I would say to people, ‘We need it to be photographic.’ Now in this movie, we have so many Avatar, Na’vi characters in the live-action world and we have so many live-action characters in the Pandora world, we need to be photoreal. That’s a new standard we have to live up to.”

“I don’t want to do anything but big swings,” Cameron says. “I’m going to fall on my ass sooner or later. But if you’re not ready to fall on your ass, you’re not doing anything interesting.”
We’ve been here before. After cost overruns and delays, “Titanic” was written off as a sure-to-bomb case study of Hollywood excess. Then it made $2.2 billion in ticket sales and won 11 Oscars. Not everyone was pre-sold on “Avatar,” either, which resuscitated 3-D after decades of dormancy.
“‘Titanic’ was assumed to be a big steaming pile,” says Cameron. “That was a much bigger flip. And we had a similar flip on a smaller scale with the first ‘Avatar.’ People saw the trailer on a little window on their laptop and called it ‘Smurfs’ and ‘videogame cinematic’ and stuff like that. Then they went to see it in the movie theater and went, ‘Wait, wait. It’s pretty cool.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-three-hour-avatar-sequel-i-dont-want-whining Cameron also expressed defiance in the face of those who might balk at the film’s three-hour runtime.

“I don’t want anybody whining about length when they sit and binge-watch [television] for eight hours,” he said.
“It’s like, give me a fucking break. I’ve watched my kids sit and do five one-hour episodes in a row.
Here’s the big social paradigm shift that has to happen: it’s OK to get up and go pee.”
I was going to add, those with weak bladders should refrain from indulging in those BIG GULP sodas at their local cinema! Sure I binge watch shows at home but also press the pause button for bathroom and munchie breaks!

There's also rumors that AVATAR will also have a fourth sequel but based on the wildly mixed reviews for The Way Of Water ... he'll have to self~finance IT!

But who knows...in time, Avatar plus sequels may gain CULT STATUS and gain an entirely new future audience just as Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE over time has been reappraised and considered not as bad as originally reviewed.

Stranger things have happened!

Last edited:
The Avatar movies just look like CGI overkill, too cartoonish and distracting for me! I caught the first one at an IMAX in 3D. Doesn’t mean I won’t watch the rest, just don’t expect I’ll really buy into an enveloping & believable movie experience.
Then for a jaded sophisticate such as yourself, JP, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND

91fSBAJQQ3L._SL1500_.jpg

14 of his finest cinematic creations!

I was going to add, those with weak bladders should refrain from indulging in those BIG GULP sodas at their local cinema! Sure I binge watch shows at home but also press the pause button for bathroom and munchie breaks!

There's also rumors that AVATAR will also have a fourth sequel but based on the wildly mixed reviews for The Way Of Water ... he'll have to self~finance IT!

But who knows...in time, Avatar plus sequels may gain CULT STATUS and gain an entirely new future audience just as Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE over time has been reappraised and considered not as bad as originally reviewed.

Stranger things have happened!
Heaven's Gate rules! Highly under-rated says I. Needs a new 4K release with remastered audio and a better surround mix though.

Same could be said for The Deer Hunter too actually. I'd like to one day get a Deer Hunter with:
1. New Dolby Vision go-around with some actual high dynamic range instead of "just a bit too dark".
2. Remastered audio and a proper surround mix.
3. Those few seconds of stock footage removed. They don't add squat - they only pull me out of the movie.

As for me I will see the Avatar sequel

I am expecting a bad story and bad dialog pretty much like the original.
I am going to see it for the astounding visuals and the creation of an alien world and its flora and fauna.
It was amazing seeing the original in 3D back in 2009. Too many years have gone by for this sequel to have a similar effect
I will enjoy the eye candy and not pay attention to story line, unusual for me.
Yes 3 hours is a little long.

As for the original bad review posted above I am blown away how hateful and agenda filled it is. Why have a guy who hates 3D review a 3D movie?

Then for a jaded sophisticate such as yourself, JP, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND

91fSBAJQQ3L._SL1500_.jpg

14 of his finest cinematic creations!
Ohhh Ralphie!
guess I'm more of a Luc Besson style guy.

no sophisticate to see here, that word produces visuals of a mutt like moi, trotting down a street and seeing that lamp post up ahead. I'll be lifting a rear leg, marking it with my low-brow golden showers of love.

No doubt however, the new Avatar will win all sorts of technical awards.

I have read a few other reviews that are universally 'wow, beautiful and pushes what 3D can deliver' followed by 'but you won't remember the story by the time you get home'
I don't think anyone is surprised by that commonness of that type of review.

Ohhh Ralphie!
guess I'm more of a Luc Besson style guy.

no sophisticate to see here, that word produces visuals of a mutt like moi, trotting down a street and seeing that lamp post up ahead. I'll be lifting a rear leg, marking it with my low-brow golden showers of love.

No doubt however, the new Avatar will win all sorts of technical awards.
Well, you're in LUC ... because so am I. Love to see Besson's films get the UHD4K treatment.

Subway (1985), The Big Blue (1988), and La Femme Nikita (1990) et alia!

Maybe. But truthfully I think WoW will have to flop hard before studios stop giving Cameron bushels of money. He's had way too many huge successes.

I would love to see him do something else, but he does what he wants, when he wants, and tbh I respect that.

Back