Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw it at the theater and on order from Criterion.
BTW, what was YOUR interpretation of the ending? Sadly, Charlbi Dean who played YaYa tragically passed away before the film premiered at Cannes at age 32!

Charlbi Dean at the Cannes film festival

South African actress Charlbi Dean

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/30/charlbi-dean-dies-model-actor-triangle-of-sadness

BTW, what was YOUR interpretation of the ending? Sadly, Charlbi Dean who played YaYa tragically passed away before the film premiered at Cannes at age 32!

Charlbi Dean at the Cannes film festival

South African actress Charlbi Dean

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/aug/30/charlbi-dean-dies-model-actor-triangle-of-sadness
I liked how there could be multiple outcomes for the future of the group based solely on time. I don’t want to go into detail for fear of spoilers but overall a well made film.

I liked how there could be multiple outcomes for the future of the group based solely on time. I don’t want to go into detail for fear of spoilers but overall a well made film.
Speaking of the vacuous Super Rich, I just binge watched the complete 4th Season of Netflix's hit series YOU with actor Penn Badgely in which our protagonist/antagonist assumes a new identity as a college professor in London and immerses himself [through no fault of his own] in the good graces of the uber elite British society which is eerily reminiscent of TRIANGLE OF SADNESS' 'ship of fools!' That EAT THE RICH mentality is further enhanced by the sudden murders of said elites one by one with a whodunnit aspect but the prime focus is on the privileged aspects of the idle rich and their insipid intolerance of the 'lower' classes' and truthfully of each other's vapidness.

What happens to Abigail, the 'latrine orderly on the yacht' at the end of Triangle of Sadness is IMO, pretty cut and dry ...... her dominance on the island because of her common sense skills is probably sadly overridden by her return to her lower class status ......... and any dreams of success in a world dominated by empty headed and cruel scions of industry!

As US Congressman Bernie Sanders recently quipped: 3 individuals control MORE wealth [thus POWER] than the lower 50% of the population. SAD but
TRUE!
royal holloway you filming location
YOU [Season Four now streaming in 4K on Netflix]

Last edited:
I was watching Rocky on Blu-Ray a few days ago and I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed the music was in 5.1 and in superb sound with a solid discrete mix.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can't imagine HDR would provide much benefit for a black-and-white film...
I have a couple of 4K flicks (Schindler's List and The Killing and maybe others) with HDR/Dolby Vision and there's definitely a clear difference between having the HDR/DV engaged and switching it off.

In general, and I'm probably not using the correct terms but hopefully the gist will come through, the gradation between dark and light areas appears to exhibit more detail with HDR/DV on. With HDR/DV off, there's more of a stark contrast between the dark and light areas. So, you gotta wonder if HDR actually results in brighter light areas and darker dark areas. I'm unaware of any comparisons between HDR and SDR in terms of the actual light output of a screen but I'd bet many flicks with so-called High Dynamic Range are actually lower than SDR. Perhaps they should show a LDR logo on the cover art? Heat (1995) on 4K would be a prime candidate.

Anyway, back to the original thing; I prefer the HDR/DV presentations I've seen compared to switching off the HDR. Thems my 2 cents!

It seems SONY is going back and remastering some of their original 4K releases in steelbook editions with the ADDITION of Dolby Vision ... the three titles that come to mind are GROUNDHOG DAY, COPPOLA'S BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA AND AIR FORCE ONE.

Unfortunately, those of us with projectors can not take advantage of Dolby Vision as it's only indigenous to flatscreen displays.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Air-Force-One-4K-Blu-ray/327614/#Review

From the digitalbits.com:

EXCLUSIVE: PRODUCER JON LANDAU CONFIRMS THAT AVATAR [2009], THE ABYSS, TRUE LIES & TITANIC ARE ALL PLANNED FOR BLU-RAY & 4K ULTRA HD RELEASE THIS YEAR!​

And yes, we have good reason to believe that at least a couple of them will include a Blu-ray 3D option.

AVATAR, THE WAY OF WATER WILL BE RELEASED ON 3/28 IN UHD4K!

James Cameron films are coming to 4K Ultra HD

Last edited:
Back