Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking for "meditative" films recently, after watching After Yang (2021)

I found a few, of which, I thought three might be worth looking at...?... but I've not watched them yet, so...no idea what the sound quality is like, or even if they're in 5.1, but here they are:

Latcho Drom (1993)

Baraka (1992)

Koyaanisqatsi (1982)

After Yang (2021) opening credits:

Baraka is a gem. Koyaanisqatsi and After Yang were also great.

Check out Samsara (also a gem) Samsara Blu-ray and Awaken Awaken 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) too.

Baraka is a gem. Koyaanisqatsi and After Yang were also great.

Check out Samsara (also a gem) Samsara Blu-ray and Awaken Awaken 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) too.
I would also include Terrence Malick's spiritually abundant THE TREE OF LIFE with an extraordinary cast and kudos to Criterion's BD~V version which also includes an extended Director's cut:

717aO-A7McL._SL1500_.jpg

When I was a wee, inquisitve lad, I asked my little Italian Grandmother who loved reading murder mysteries what was the scariest film she had ever seen. Without hesitating she replied: LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT with Lon Chaney. Made in 1929 and directed by Todd Browning, the elusive silent film has been [supposedly] lost to the ages as the only remaining nitrate negative perished in a 1965 Universal fire.

A new hardover book now outlines the lost film in detail and is available from AmazonUS.

https://www.amazon.com/London-After...7d-b9ef-39a2d57364f5&pd_rd_i=1399939890&psc=1

Last edited:
Saw the 50% off and jumped at getting Baron "Manchusen" on BD (I think 4K is like 192 KHz sample rate.. overkill) at Criterion
1y4Hs6RmszXfZ2kWpm94G2WcBMmyez_large.jpg

BTW, so great seeing Sarah Polley, the child daughter of the film, getting an Oscar!
AA18BNwZ.img
Just watched the BD last night and it's a beauty.. the MCH mix is awesome and of course, the film transfer is impeccable...deffo worth it!

Compliance (2012) BD:

1. I really enjoyed this when it came out and gave it a second spin last night - nothing quite like it. A true story and pretty insane.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has pretty constant surround activity throughout from the score and ambient effects which is well done considering it's pretty much set in quiet environments. Way more surround activity than most other movies. There are a few wall-rattling lows in there too which was a pleasant surprise.

3. I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Compliance-Blu-ray-Ann-Dowd/dp/B009OCR1OI/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=compliance+blu+ray&qid=1675797138&sprefix=compliance+blu,aps,289&sr=8-1

4. The only other decent "phone call" movie that springs to mind with great audio is The Guilty (the original Danish one!) that you can get here and is definitely worth a spin or 2: https://www.amazon.com/Guilty-Blu-ray-Jakob-Cedergren/dp/B07J35GDMB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PR7G6LARPUON&keywords=the+guilty+blu+ray&qid=1675797153&sprefix=the+guilty+blu+ray,aps,279&sr=8-1
I finally got around to watching this one and that was pretty nuts... thanks for the suggestion!

It reminded me of another one I've been wanting to check out, Experimenter (2016), about the Milgram experiments in the 60s. That was a good one too. Pretty wild what people will submit to when directed by authority figures.

Both are available on blu-ray for under $5 from Hamilton Books: EXPERIMENTER - HamiltonBook.com

I finally got around to watching this one and that was pretty nuts... thanks for the suggestion!

It reminded me of another one I've been wanting to check out, Experimenter (2016), about the Milgram experiments in the 60s. That was a good one too. Pretty wild what people will submit to when directed by authority figures.

Both are available on blu-ray for under $5 from Hamilton Books: EXPERIMENTER - HamiltonBook.com
Experimenter is still on my list, thanks for the reminder.

Did you look up the true story behind Compliance? There are photos of the dude out there. There used to be real video footage from the stock room camera on YouTube a few years ago too. Not sure if it's still there.

Blu~Ray.com's MUST OWN Review of Shout Select's restoration of Walter Hill's cult classic STREETS OF FIRE

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Streets-of-Fire-4K-Blu-ray/330297/#Review
So I received my MUST OWN Shout Select Native UHD4K disc of STREETS OF FIRE and enjoyed it immensely except when the disc froze on three different occasions! Sending it back to Deep Discount for refund as if you've perused even Shout's website, their QUALITY CONTROL is atrocious. Scratched and severly smudged discs right out of the case. Recently returned another Shout 4K title [The Red Dawn] for refund as it was unplayable! And it's NOT my OPPO 205!

Anyway, what I did see of Streets of Fire [albeit a VERY guilty pleasure], it was the best it has ever looked and the 4.1 DTS~HD MA was fantastic. Now if only SHOUT/SCREAM Factories would get their SH*T together and FIRE who ever does their disc replication!

Experimenter is still on my list, thanks for the reminder.

Did you look up the true story behind Compliance? There are photos of the dude out there. There used to be real video footage from the stock room camera on YouTube a few years ago too. Not sure if it's still there.
Oh wow, I haven't dug into that story but I'll have to go down that rabbit hole at some point.

Back