Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) 4K:

1. I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BW154DFF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and watched the shorter Director's Cut last night. Still a gem.

2. Superb image upgrade (native 4K scan, not a mark on it, detail and colours all superb, no Dolby Vision).

3. Director's Cut has DTS-MA 5.1. Next to nothing happening in the surrounds but there be some .1 rumbles from the rock and the synths in the score.

4. Longer Theatrical Cut (also fully restored in 4K) only has DTS-MA 1.0 (centre channel) or DTS-MA 2.0 (dual mono) audio. Looking forward to checking this out at some stage as I only think I've seen it once and that was years ago.

Until Sergio Leone's masterwork ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA is released in its full untrucated version in Native UHD4K, HULU has a magnificent print currently streaming .... 3 hour 49 minute version in DD 5.1... probably the very best I've ever experienced it.

Hopefully, Warner Home Video will remaster and release it soon but until then, I VERY HIGHLY recommend this version. Looks pretty astounding and all the performances, especially that of Robert De Niro hold up admirably.

R.9852dd08138900b4235d345ef32c3e8f

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) 4K:

1. I got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BW154DFF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and watched the shorter Director's Cut last night. Still a gem.

2. Superb image upgrade (native 4K scan, not a mark on it, detail and colours all superb, no Dolby Vision).

3. Director's Cut has DTS-MA 5.1. Next to nothing happening in the surrounds but there be some .1 rumbles from the rock and the synths in the score.

4. Longer Theatrical Cut (also fully restored in 4K) only has DTS-MA 1.0 (centre channel) or DTS-MA 2.0 (dual mono) audio. Looking forward to checking this out at some stage as I only think I've seen it once and that was years ago.
I watched this last night based upon this review. A few holes and unanswered questions came up. As far as the sound goes, the unexplained rumblings early on at the rocks were shaking my lamp! Otherwise, probably wouldn’t own this film, but the girls are beautiful.

I watched this last night based upon this review. A few holes and unanswered questions came up. As far as the sound goes, the unexplained rumblings early on at the rocks were shaking my lamp! Otherwise, probably wouldn’t own this film, but the girls are beautiful.
It's a surreal mystery for sure, dripping with atmosphere. They said in one of the many documentaries about the movie over the years that if you're gonna make a movie about some girls who disappear, them girls dang well better be stunners. Mission accomplished with Anne-Louise Lambert!

Full Circle / The Haunting of Julia (1977) 4K:

1. I got this release https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BTT4YY8N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which includes everything on 4K and Region B BD. There's an overpriced Imprint/Via Vision BD release out soon but the 4K is cheaper and 4K so that wins.

2. Audio is only mono and would have benefitted from a redo but it's serviceable. Shame they didn't tart it up with a 5.1 mix but hey.

3. Image is superb. New 4K scan and Dolby Vision too. Soft-focus throughout and lots of atmosphere. Everything's tip-top in this regard.

4. Tons of extras (that you'll probably only watched once) and a booklet.

5. I backed up the movie to MKV and watched it via the Zidoo Z9X to view the DV. When I popped the 4K disc into the Sony X800 to watch the extras, the Sony X800 displayed an error message I'd never seen before saying that there might be fingerprints on the disc or it might not have been finalised/authored properly. What?! I ejected the disc tray and then closed it again to give it a chance to consider its options and it played fine. Weird. Anyway, just a FYI in case you buy it and your player throws the toys upon first spin.

6. I have a niece who often asks if I've got anything like The Changeling (1980) to which I always say, "Nope - that's a one-off - nothin' quite like it" but now I does! Full Circle ain't as good as The Changeling but it's definitely a precursor in a similar vein. I recommends I does.

Has to be better than Waterworld! 😂
Avatar: the Way Of Water is the third highest grossing film of ALL time ......... And in hindsight, Waterworld isn't all that BAD ..... Too much was focused on its uber budget ....... Looks great actually in 4K. And turning urine into drinkable water ....... maybe that WOULD solve a LOT of the worldwide drought, Mr. E!

[I deleted that post because the link brought one to an erroneous AmazonUS website]

Went through my [obscenely] 'unwatched' UHD4K pile last night and realized I hadn't watched Paramount's 4K remaster of FORREST GUMP! Well, what do you know ...... despite some nit picking by the critics regarding its VIDEO quality, I found it DELIGHTFUL. And of course Tom Hank's brilliant performance still holds up to this day and the supporting cast of Sally Field, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise and Mykelti Williamson were likewise superb!

And the repurposed Dolby ATMOS soundtrack preserved all those trantalizing musical cues from the 70's evidenced in the Viet Nam sequences.

If you don't have this classic in your collection and have any love for FORREST GUMP by all means buy it.

If there was ever a box of chocolates in your future...... Forrest Gump is the real deal ...... Bon Bons for VIDEOPHILES!

R.0d1d2100180832aadfbcb8879fc0346a

Back