Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Synchronic (2019) BD:
1. I had high expectations for this based on Moorhead and Benson's others (Resolution, Spring, The Endless - if you like independent sci-fi, check these out. There used to be an Arrow release that had The Endless and Resolution on 2 BDs in the same pack so try and track that down to save some $). It was good but I didn't enjoy it as much as their others. Don't let that put you off though - it's definitely worth a look and I'm thinking that another watch down the track will yield a more favourable experience.
2. Surround mix is pretty good. Nothing earth-shattering but better than most.
3. In places, the image shows artifacts along the lines of what I experience from streaming movies (e.g., low-light scenes, such as in Anthony Mackie's pad, show some blocky backgrounds). Not impressed but it ain't a deal-breaker.
4. Region Free (even though artwork says it's Region A) here: https://www.amazon.com/Synchronic-B...ords=synchronic+blu+ray&qid=1616701888&sr=8-1

The Innkeepers (2012) BD:
1. I'd seen this before but quite liked the earnest 70's/80's horror atmosphere, gave it another spin and found it an enjoyable watch.
2. Surround mix is decent. It could have done more but what is there is good.
3. There's a note at the beginning that the producers recommend you play it loud. Nice.
4. I'm guessing there are some VERY low lows in there which made my SVS PB-3000 (which goes down to 20Hz) flap around like a fish out of water. Not good so unless you have sub(s) that can hit way down, I'd recommend watching this with your sub(s) turned down ~6dB from usual which is what I had to do and/or sharply rolling off your EQ below 20Hz (the SVS super handy app allows this).
5. Region A with decent cover art here: https://www.amazon.com/Innkeepers-B...=the+innkeepers+blu+ray&qid=1616702537&sr=8-1. Region B with crappy cover art here: The Innkeepers [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Sara Paxton, Kelly McGillis, Pat Healy, Ti West, Sara Paxton, Kelly McGillis: DVD & Blu-ray

Coming [FINALLY] on June 1st from director Guy Ritchie and SONY PICTURES the Native UHD 4K debut of SNATCH [HDR10/Dolby ATMOS]

81FVFU1W%2BHL._SL1500_.jpg

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Watched this 2007 film for the first time last night; and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about it going in.
Apparently this got mixed reviews from critics and was a major box office bomb.

I thought it was engaging, well produced, with good acting and singing; with an all re-imagined Beatles soundtrack and can't believe it didn't fare better by the critics. At first I was a little put off by the direction of the songs, but as the film went on I got more comfortable with it, and after a few songs in, was totally hooked on it. Evan Rachel Wood and Jim Sturgess were both fabulous!

It was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy.

I guess it could be classified as an Alice in Wonderland style mash up with a psychedelic stage musical circa 1960's; along with mining our love for Beatles songs.

Per Wikipedia:
In October 2020, Julie Taymor announced that developments are underway for a sequel. Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood have had discussions with the filmmaker to reprise their roles, while the plot will take place during the '70s, and feature additional songs by The Beatles.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd say give it a try, you might also find it entertaining.

across-the-universe-.jpg

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Watched this 2007 film for the first time last night; and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about it going in.

I thought it was engaging, well produced, with good acting and singing; with an all re-imagined Beatles soundtrack and can't believe it didn't fare better by the critics. At first I was a little put off by the direction of the songs, but as the film went on I got more comfortable with it, and after a few songs in, was totally hooked on it. Evan Rachel Wood and Jim Sturgess were both fabulous!

It was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy.

I guess it could be classified as an Alice in Wonderland style mash up with a psychedelic stage musical circa 1960's; along with mining our love for Beatles songs.

Per Wikipedia:
In October 2020, Julie Taymor announced that developments are underway for a sequel. Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood have had discussions with the filmmaker to reprise their roles, while the plot will take place during the '70s, and feature additional songs by The Beatles.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd say give it a try, you might also find it entertaining.

View attachment 65109

LOVE this film JP and it really does look and sound astounding in Native UHD4K! [HDR10/Dolby ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Across-the-Universe-4K-Blu-ray/192175/#Review
91-QLa8NfhL._SL1500_.jpg

I didn't notice a lot of rear speaker action on the U-verse version I saw; but I've read some stuff on here with folks complaining that the mix was totally in the fronts, did they improve on that in this later Atmos BD release?

I'm not equipped for ATMOS, JP, but HDR10 processing and the fact it's Native and NOT upscaled 4K makes this upgrade worthwhile ...... IMO, the sound may be a bit front centric but nonetheless sounds pretty amazing.

You will not be disappointed!

The 1983 Made for TV Miniseries V is a MARVEL. Clocking in at 3 hours and 17 minutes, presented in 1:1.85 WIDESCREEN and Dolby Surround, it probably looks and sounds better in Warner Archives current BD~V remaster than it did on network TV back in the early 80's. Highest Recommendation

41k5pIyVcTL.jpg

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Per Wikipedia:

View attachment 65109
Just saw this post from a few days ago. I totally agree with you & 4 Ears: This is fantastic. The two stars are perfect & my goodness Eddy Izzard & Salma Hayek fill their smaller roles just as well. I tend to have a strong dislike for musicals, stage or movies, but this one really grabs me. It really delivers on the emotional impact as well.

I'm not sure why I was moved to purchase it but I got it on Blu-ray when it was first released & I've watched it many times now.

Primer (2004) Blu-ray:
1. Shane Carruth's first flick and it's a short, dense, mindwarping trip. Independent film-making at its best.
2. Audio is only stereo but everything's nice and clear.

Upstream Color (2014):
1. Shane Carruth's second and possibly final flick is another short, dense, mindwarping trip.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 surround mix is really pretty decent. Nice score and some rumbling lows.
3. Finally, this is available with the audio in sync. All other releases of this BD have places where the audio is out of sync.

These 2 gems are available in one pack (both on the same disc):
1. Arrow Video looks like they're sold out: Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth | Arrow Films
2. Amazon UK: Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray
3. Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Primer-Upstream-Color-Carruth-Blu-ray/dp/B08QBQL15J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PRIMER+++UPSTREAM+COLOR:+TWO+FILMS+BY+SHANE+CARRUTH&qid=1617230426&sr=8-1

Might as well grab The Dead Center while you're at it: The Dead Center Blu-ray | Arrow Films

Primer (2004) Blu-ray:
1. Shane Carruth's first flick and it's a short, dense, mindwarping trip. Independent film-making at its best.
2. Audio is only stereo but everything's nice and clear.

Upstream Color (2014):
1. Shane Carruth's second and possibly final flick is another short, dense, mindwarping trip.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 surround mix is really pretty decent. Nice score and some rumbling lows.
3. Finally, this is available with the audio in sync. All other releases of this BD have places where the audio is out of sync.

These 2 gems are available in one pack (both on the same disc):
1. Arrow Video looks like they're sold out: Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth | Arrow Films
2. Amazon UK: Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray
3. Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Primer-Upstream-Color-Carruth-Blu-ray/dp/B08QBQL15J/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PRIMER+++UPSTREAM+COLOR:+TWO+FILMS+BY+SHANE+CARRUTH&qid=1617230426&sr=8-1

Might as well grab The Dead Center while you're at it: The Dead Center Blu-ray | Arrow Films

Currently out of stock @Arrow Films UK but will have to watch my [stand alone] BD~V of Upstream Color again for a proper assessment!

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/primer---upstream-color--two-films-by-shane-carruth/FCD2077

Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth image 1

Back