Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lost World (1997) 4K:
1. Picked this up cheap on 4K a couple of years ago and watched it last night. Can't find a link to it on Amazon and from the fine print, looks like a NZ/Australia-only release.
2. DTS-X Surround mix is excellent. Constant loud, discrete, surround activity and panning around throughout the whole movie.
3. Picture is nice and sharp.
4. A fun watch. If you can find it, grab it. It's worth it for the surround mix alone.

UK's Arrow Films has released a stunning 1080p BD~V remaster of John Hughes iconic 1984 Teen Angst RompCom, SIXTEEN CANDLES. His first directorial debut introduced the world to a sprightly and wonderfully gifted Molly Ringwald and surrounded her with a uber talented cast. And the soundtrack repurposed for 5.1 is amazing. The BD~V is Region B.

Sixteen Candles Blu-ray image 1

I just watched Kino Lorber's new native UHD4K remaster of Sergio Leone's masterwork THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. While it is the best I have experienced this film on home video, I still feel there was room for improvement ....... Kino Lorber applied neither HDR nor Dolby Vision to the remaster but the sharpness, contrast levels and color scheme do POP. In the audio department, it does include a 5.1 remix but do not expect a robust explosion of sound from Ennio Morricone's iconic score. Unless there's a future 8K transfer from Leone's original Techniscope/Technicolor negative, I do highly recommend this latest transfer .... with minor caveats, as noted!

738329240400.jpg

What an eerily chilling analogy to the Present! Terry Gilliam's superb Twelve Monkeys details a pandemic which in the year 1999 kills 5 BILLION! Time Traveler Bruce Willis travels to the past to attempt to STOP the pandemic. UK's Arrow video has released a superb 1080p remaster with a 5.1 soundtrack, which, until we receive a true Native UHD4K remaster, will be my go to reference disc! REGION B

71dtkYrVRpL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Wish that price would come down a bit! Will be keeping an eye on this one to see if I can snag a deal.

I was quite surprised today when AmazonUS delivered the Arrow UHD4K Donnie Darko. They mistakenly sent me the DELUXE boxset instead of the stand alone 2 UHD4K discs.....NO complaints here. The deluxe set contains a hard covered book, poster and some lobby cards ..... and I paid $35 delivered. Arrow Video doesn't even show the LIMITED EDITION box set on their website....probably SOLD OUT!

When Arrow had their recent sale, I was able to get the UHD4K Tremors and David Cronenberg's CRASH for VERY decent prices but opted to order Donnie Darko from AmazonUS as IT WAS ACTUALLY CHEAPER and now having 'scored' the deluxe DD boxset ..... WAAAAY CHEAPER!

Unfortunately, a lot of smaller labels releasing UHD4K discs price them MUCH HIGHER than the Majors....and as they're usually VERY LIMITED EDITIONS, those prices almost never come down and once they're gone ...prepare to pay even more outrageous prices for them on ebay!

Would it be worth it for you to order DD from AmazonUS [follow the link from blu.ray.com]? I know you'd have to pay extra s/h fees to NZ as it is a deluxe boxset. Your call!

Last edited:
I have a problem with use of the term "original camera negatives." It is true that movie in camera film is color negative film similar to the olden days when we all shot film cameras & wanted prints. How ever you can't really edit that very well on a Movieola, so a print film color positive is made & that's what's used for editing. When all the editing is finished an inter-negative print is made. From that it is printed on to color print film again a gazillion times & that is what would be shipped to theaters.

So to say it's made from original camera neg film means they either re-edited the whole thing again or are just playing loose with the term since it makes good copy.

I have a problem with use of the term "original camera negatives." It is true that movie in camera film is color negative film similar to the olden days when we all shot film cameras & wanted prints. How ever you can't really edit that very well on a Movieola, so a print film color positive is made & that's what's used for editing. When all the editing is finished an inter-negative print is made. From that it is printed on to color print film again a gazillion times & that is what would be shipped to theaters.

So to say it's made from original camera neg film means they either re-edited the whole thing again or are just playing loose with the term since it makes good copy.

Having shot Super 8mm [with Sound] back in the ole days, SW, I am well aware that the ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE is sacrosanct and should never be used for projection, etc but carefully stored away once edited. I once spent MONTHS [and MONTHS] shooting one of my major opuses and then sent the edited original camera negative to KODAK for duplication and guess what ...they SCRATCHED IT TO HELL!

But I have noticed that UHD4K discs which boast 'created from the original camera negative' do display more vibrancy but I'm sure they're NOT, as you state, the ORIGINAL! Just like all those audio discs boast from the ORIGINAL ANALOGUE MASTERS. Do you really think the majors would EVER part with those precious analogue tapes. Nay ....I believe DIGITAL INTERMEDIATES carefully made from those originals are sent out instead and probably the same applies to UHD4K and even BD~Vs.

Those ORIGINAL camera negatives and ORIGINAL analogue master tapes probably NEVER leave their 'carefully climate controlled' storage vaults any more....except to create those digital intermediates!

So I agree........they're most definitely carefully replicated DIGITAL INTERMEDIATES! But when the original camera negatives no longer exist, better than having it duped from a sub par faded print as is the case in SO many video releases.

Last edited:
I was quite surprised today when AmazonUS delivered the Arrow UHD4K Donnie Darko. They mistakenly sent me the DELUXE boxset instead of the stand alone 2 UHD4K discs.....NO complaints here.

do you have a link to the actual ASIN you ordered because I bet amazon still hasn't fixed the glitch in their warehouses?

Last night I revisited Warner Archives gorgeous BD~V of Michael Cimino's 'polarizing' epic YEAR OF THE DRAGON. Happy to report the 1080p transfer from a 2K scan compliments the cinematography and the 5.1 soundtrack is sourced from 70mm 6 channel. Part of Warner Archives recent 4 for $44 sale. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to fans!

I8IF30F.jpg

I'm getting ready for a long trip, and I need some advice on what movies I can watch on the road. I don't have a significant preference for what movies I tend. I usually watch movies on 123 movies because access is free and the quality of service is excellent. I've recently watched movies with romantic themes and horror, which arouse interest faster than action movies or comedies. Of the films I see, The Nun film advises, it is an exciting film with an exciting and fascinating theme, the film is excellent, worth watching I do not recommend watching it at night
Nothing specific but I'd start with films you've seen and enjoyed, look up the director/writer/actors on IMDB, see what else they've done and check out any that interest you. You'll then expand from there and hopefully build up a large pool of cues for future films to check out.

Back