Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspired by your post, I watched the Theatrical BD last night. Good times.

You may have received the email from Arrow already but just in case anyone else hasn't, it looks like some of the 4K discs are duds but only some players reveal it and they're doing a reissue campaign: Donnie Darko UHD Replacement Programme Hopefully, they've got everything sorted by June. I'll probably wait until all the duds are out of circulation before I do the 4K update.

I saw that. Should I trade it in anyway in case it does 'develop' judder? Hmmmm.

BTW, haven't watched the extended Donnie Darko version as of yet. Should I? Does it differ much from the theatrical version?

The Theatrical 4K disc also contains a NEW 1 hour 25 minute DOC with the director. Well worth watching. A very classy package, overall.

Donnie Darko.... There's no fate except what we make...no wait. That was T2. Scratch that.
Fate controls your every action and is unavoidable to the point of destroying the entire Universe if you resist the fate "God" made for you (not matter how much it sucks, hurts or kills). That's the gist of the story regardless of the version you watch. I was totally into it too until I realized at the end the plot was a steaming pile of fate driven poo. Oh well. :oops:

I enjoyed Time Trap much more, even if it was a bit b-movie.

I saw that. Should I trade it in anyway in case it does 'develop' judder? Hmmmm.

BTW, haven't watched the extended Donnie Darko version as of yet. Should I? Does it differ much from the theatrical version?

The Theatrical 4K disc also contains a NEW 1 hour 25 minute DOC with the director. Well worth watching. A very classy package, overall.
I think you'll be able to get a replacement disc without having to return anything provided you have some sort of receipt from Amazon. I'd get the replacement. Don't want the Oppo to die and then find that the Sony judders along!

I've only seen the Director's Cut once. It was good with about 20 minutes or so of extra scenes and a song replacement. I prefer the Theatrical Version though as it keeps up the pace more.

Good to hear there are new extras in the package. Looking forward to getting it.

Last edited:
What's in a TITLE? Stay Tuned:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/man-who-killed-hitler-de-capelight-2021-uhd
91j2M680XvL._SL1500_.jpg

Collateral (2004) 4K:
1. Not that great a surround mix on this one. It seems very "stereo heavy" with the fronts quite loud. I guess I could have upped the centre channel a bit but just cranked the overall volume way up which you need to do to hear everything Tom Cruise mumbles.
2. I seems to remember when this came out that it was shot on a range of digital cameras, many of which had crappy lenses and so the image is what it is. Not a show-stopper though, just not Heat-level image quality.
3. Despite 1 and 2, it's a fun movie. Tom gets a chance to be a bit of a "character" for a change.

worth it just for the Cars Moving in Stereo but not in stereo, but rather 5.1 DTS-HD :)

Criterion has been announcing for a few years that they would release NATIVE UHD4K discs and IMO, this would've been THE perfect intro to the format. They went to the trouble of scanning the original camera negative in 4K for basically a 1080p BD~V release. The question, should one purchase this version or wait for a full Native UHD4K release?

Remastered to 2K? 5.1 audio?

The old version is already that.

This release comes with a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio mix and according to the Criterion Booklet, it was created in 2004 by Universal Studios from the original 35mm magnetic track. Additional work and restoration were performed by Criterion. This track has a surprising amount of low-end bass, mostly from vehicle engines revving up and the killer soundtrack by the popular rock bands of the time.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High comes with a brand new 1080p HD transfer to Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. According to the Criterion Booklet, this new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution from the original 35mm camera negative where thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, and warps were manually removed. All of this was supervised by director Amy Heckerling.

This new transfer is by far the best Fast Times At Ridgemont High has ever looked and is a gigantic upgrade from the previous releases on Blu-ray and DVD. The previous releases had quite a few issues with colors bleeding, harsh grain that fluctuates, and visual problems that made the image look rather dated and bad. All that is fixed here with this new Criterion transfer. The color palette is more vibrant and organic, revealing all the primary colors of the interiors inside the mall, the hamburger joint, and in the classrooms. Everything from Spicoli's open shirts to the football team's uniforms, and even the light blue pool water looks exquisite with the contrast of Cate's bright red swimsuit. The yellow and greens inside Mr. Hand's classroom look richer than before as well. Again, top-notch color correction this time around, making this film look brand new again.

Criterion has been announcing for a few years that they would release NATIVE UHD4K discs and IMO, this would've been THE perfect intro to the format. They went to the trouble of scanning the original camera negative in 4K for basically a 1080p BD~V release. The question, should one purchase this version or wait for a full Native UHD4K release?

Great story, great sound track, great everything. I watch this at least once a year usually around, you know, late summer when school starts.

I thought the topic of scanning from original camera negatives has been discussed before & settled per
Post # 2630. But it looks like Criterion & promoters per Blu-ray.com say:

"This new digital transfer was created in 16-bit 4K resolution on a Lasergraphics Director scanner from the 35mm original camera negative.

At best content like this comes from the edited film positive that is duped to film inter-negative.

I agree with others that it is odd they have a 4K scan to work with but re-release on 1080p. If they've done that much in re-mastering & clean up then it might be worth it. Buy to try!

Great story, great sound track, great everything. I watch this at least once a year usually around, you know, late summer when school starts.

I thought the topic of scanning from original camera negatives has been discussed before & settled per
Post # 2630. But it looks like Criterion & promoters per Blu-ray.com say:

At best content like this comes from the edited film positive that is duped to film inter-negative.

I agree with others that it is odd they have a 4K scan to work with but re-release on 1080p. If they've done that much in re-mastering & clean up then it might be worth it. Buy to try!

I own Fast Times in multiple video formats and my disappointment centers on the rumors that Criterion almost 2 years ago did announce they were planning Native UHD4K releases.

And sometimes, SW, when the original directors/cinematographers are invoved with video transfers, they do scan the original camera negatives which in this case I believe they did as they cleaned up the splices, speckles, debris on the 'precious' camera 'original.'

Whether Criterion ever enters into the 4K arena is anyone's guess. Ironically and RATHER INEXPLICABLY,, DVD still OUTSELLS Blu ray and UHD4K discs, while few and far between, are a distant third [probably by a considerable margin].

And I do believe Universal will eventually release a Native UHD4K version but whether it's remastered in Dolby Atmos remains a mystery!

Last edited:
Whether Criterion ever enters into the 4K arena is anyone's guess. Ironically and RATHER INEXPLICABLY,, DVD still OUTSELLS Blu ray and UHD4K discs, while few and far between, are a distant third [probably by a considerable margin].

with all fairness, I rip 4k discs to my HD and play them on Kodi on my Nvidia Shield. The shield down-mixes the 4K video stream to a 2K because I don't have a 4K monitor (but preserves the audio stream (atmos, etc). The shield won't pass true 4K unless you have a true 4K monitor (same for HDR, Dolby Vision), think of it like a 4k-->4k handshake.

I've never actually seen one of my 4K discs on an actual 4K monitor because the monitors have been too expensive, but seem much more reasonable now.

I have only bought the 4k discs in the past because a lot of them seem to include atmos that's not on the regular blu-ray and my shield will play the atmos audio stream perfectly, IOW I buy the 4k discs for the audio only, ironic, I know.

Last edited:
Come True (2020) BD:
1. Surround mix is just OK with only a few moments of discrete activity which help the scenes.
2. Electric Youth's score is a goodie:

Download here: HDtracks | You can hear the difference. Listen on the go in master studio quality.
3. Region B here: https://www.amazon.com/Come-True-Li...words=come+true+blu+ray&qid=1623353337&sr=8-2
4. The movie is alright. Worth a look I reckon and you could chuck it in the pile with...

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) BD:
1. Surround mix is not terribly discrete but all encompassing most of the time. Some nice lows.
2. Great score by Sinoia Caves:

Download here: Beyond The Black Rainbow - Original Soundtrack, by Sinoia Caves
First album + BTBR here: Search Juno Download
3. Michael Rogers does an entertaining Christian-Bale-in-American-Psycho-doing-Ted-Bundy impression.
4. Oozes style. Not a lot of substance but it's worth a look if you dig a late 60's-early 80's aesthetic.
5. Region A-locked here: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Rainb...e+black+rainbow+blu+ray&qid=1623353391&sr=8-1

Back