Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just placed my order with ImportCD for this 'spaghetti Western' in Native UHD4K from Arrow Films which also includes a 'sequel of sorts' entitled TEXAS, ADIOS in BD~V

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Django-4K-and-Texas-Adios-Blu-ray/280691/#Review

280691_front.jpg

Arrow Films has literally knocked it out of the ballpark with their Native UHD4K remaster of TREMORS. It was akin to watching it for the first time. A vibrant remaster in Dolby Vision/HDR 10 with a choice of 3 spectacular soundtracks: 5.1/4.0 and 2.0. The bonus features are bonuses as well: six LONG years in Pre~Production before a cautious Universal Pictures greenlit the project. If you LOVE this cult classic like I do ...... BUY IT!

91ijnaMRXHL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm pretty excited to see The Social Network getting a Dolby Atmos mix, not because of the movie but because Trent Reznor mentioned he and Atticus were remixing it into Atmos (having previously done a standalone 5.1 Blu-ray of the score) and might be looking at doing some NIN releases in Atmos.

I would LOOOOOOVE to finally see Pretty Hate Machine get the surround treatment it deserves, and the excellent Hesitation Marks.

Portrait of Jennie (1948) BD:
1. Great story and performances, and a tightly edited 85 minutes.
2. The print shows a bit of damage and could do with a fix-up. Not bad though for the age.
3. This is the oldest movie I own with a 5.1 mix. It's mono for most of the movie - the surround only kicks in near the end and it won't knock your socks off but hey, better than nothing and at least they made the effort.
4. Region A locked here: https://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Jennie-Blu-ray-Jennifer-Jones/dp/B074R58H28

Portrait of Jennie (1948) BD:
1. Great story and performances, and a tightly edited 85 minutes.
2. The print shows a bit of damage and could do with a fix-up. Not bad though for the age.
3. This is the oldest movie I own with a 5.1 mix. It's mono for most of the movie - the surround only kicks in near the end and it won't knock your socks off but hey, better than nothing and at least they made the effort.
4. Region A locked here: https://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Jennie-Blu-ray-Jennifer-Jones/dp/B074R58H28

And I thought I was the ONLY ONE who loves this hauntingly gorgeous classic. IMO, after owning it on VHS and watching it on broadcast TV, KL Lorber has done an admirable restoration job starring David O. Selznick's then wife, Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton. Love the color insert at the film's finale of what else, the Portrait of Jennie hanging in a museum.

See the source image

And I thought I was the ONLY ONE who loves this hauntingly gorgeous classic. IMO, after owning it on VHS and watching it on broadcast TV, KL Lorber has done an admirable restoration job starring David O. Selznick's then wife, Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton. Love the color insert at the film's finale of what else, the Portrait of Jennie hanging in a museum.

See the source image
Yes, a superb painting! Great use of black and white, green tints, sepia and that final colour shot. Decent special effects too. A ripping yarn.

eXistenZ (1999) BD:
1. One of the last Cronenberg's that I dig (I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done since A History of Violence).
2. A fun flick with a great cast and a decent story.
3. Not a bad surround mix. Not a ton of stuff going on in the surrounds but it's OK. Not a lot of LFE going on either.
4. Worth the purchase. Limited edition (almost sold out) with booklet, cardboard slipcase and DVD here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GW2P...1624076868&sprefix=existenz+bl,aps,409&sr=8-1
5. Hope we get a Dead Ringers/The Fly 4K release soon.

Knowing (1999) 4K:
1. I find this a strange movie. The story is alright (I remember reading that Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly was going to direct it back in the early 2000's but that never happened) but the script/characters are a bit silly in places and I find it to have a weird vibe.
2. Some decent destruction (that plane!) but the CGI is showing its age - particularly the fire.
4. Surround mix is alright. Some decent discrete moments.
5. 4K/Region A BD here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FLP419?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

eXistenZ (1999) BD:
1. One of the last Cronenberg's that I dig (I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done since A History of Violence).
2. A fun flick with a great cast and a decent story.
3. Not a bad surround mix. Not a ton of stuff going on in the surrounds but it's OK. Not a lot of LFE going on either.
4. Worth the purchase. Limited edition (almost sold out) with booklet, cardboard slipcase and DVD here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GW2PCKW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1W3S8RNIZ4T6D&dchild=1&keywords=existenz+blu+ray&qid=1624076868&sprefix=existenz+bl,aps,409&sr=8-1
5. Hope we get a Dead Ringers/The Fly 4K release soon.

Sadly, the picture quality on the UK eXistenZ is not very good. The same as the German Turbine Medien master. Cronenberg has not generally been served well on blu-ray but Shout are coming with The Dead Zone from a new 4K scan.

I finallly watched Arrow Video's ASTOUNDING Native UHD4K of DJANGO last night ..... In Italian with subtitles. Franco Nero who played Django was fantastic and certainly gave Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name a run for his money. The film was banned in England for years due to gratuitous violence but director Sergio Corbucci has an uncanny eye for stylistic set pieces and pacing and in a trim 90 minutes tells a fantastical tale of greed, revenge and triumph!

Highest Recommendation! Have yet to watch the included sequel of sorts Texas Adios with Franco Nero.

See the source image
Franco Nero as DJANGO

Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)

On a double bill with Django I also [finally] watched Dario Argento's Italian horror fest SUSPIRIA. An absolute reference quality Native UHD4K disc with a repurposed ATMOS soundtrack. I'm NOT equipped for ATMOS but one reviewer @ blu.ray.com did say the Dolby ATMOS track is 'to die for!'
A VERY trippy cinematic experience with hallucinatory set designs and every color and artifact is faithfully reproduced in thrilling boldness!

Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)

On a double bill with Django I also [finally] watched Dario Argento's Italian horror fest SUSPIRIA. An absolute reference quality Native UHD4K disc with a repurposed ATMOS soundtrack. I'm NOT equipped for ATMOS but one reviewer @ blu.ray.com did say the Dolby ATMOS track is 'to die for!'
A VERY trippy cinematic experience with hallucinatory set designs and every color and artifact is faithfully reproduced in thrilling boldness!

Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
While, I haven't seen this new edition, that movie IS a trip. Man oh man...

Back